Growing interest in Airrifle Benchrest?

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Tone, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Thanks to RobF for putting this new section up on STB. A few people have been discussing Benchrest recently and there have been some articles in the magazines over the last year or so.

It is a true Airrifle sport shot outside and is therefore true to the saying 'Shooting the Breeze'.

I have been into Airrifle Benchrest for a few years now and like quite a few fellow shooters I couldn't quite work out the attraction when I first saw someone almost trying not to hold their rifle while shooting at a target. That was until I gave it a go.

Since then I have travelled to a number of different clubs for head to head competitions (always shot outside from a covered firing point) aswell as going to the World Cup in the Czech Republic and I have met many different people from the UK and across the World.

However, they all have one thing in common and that is firstly a passion for Airrifles and secondly a drive to push the limits of Airrifle accuracy.

When the targets scoring 10 ring is only 2mm diameter and you are shooting at it from 25 yrds away in the wind, then you can see it is quite a challenge.

I hope that this section of Shooting the Breeze will help to bring some new enthusiasts to the sport aswell as support those that are aready involved.

Tony

2. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

good discipline for people with injuries or disabilities!

3. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    Is this pointless.....

Benchrest seems a brilliant shooting form for those interested is extracting every last drop of technical performance from their guns, and as said great for the less physically fit.

A new section is a great idea but there seems little point to starting a new section on here as everything that gets posted no matter what section its in and no matter how the post is worded always but always seems to gets drawn back to FT ;)

The forum should be renamed "FT Shooting the Breeze.com", banner "the forum run by FT shooters, for FT shooters, to talk about FT shooting, to buy/sell FT shooting gear......:D

Seriously though fellas I thought it was just me when I first posted in the General Chat section about something I said was not aimed at FT and was then immediately dragged down by the FT mafia telling me that it was useless for FT :eek:o

I have since seen several threads that were clearly not FT related with the OP then being told it bore no relevance to FT...please read threads in their entirity before commentiong on the relevance of something to FT

Breaking news FT is not the only shooting discipline ;)

Good luck with the Benchrest section :)

Bring it on....crawl back to the BBS......if you dont like it dont read it......etc,etc ---- its not going to stop me trolling on :D

4. rich

rich Active Member

I hope we'll also permit the variant of bench rest that is shot indoors as well.

At Shebbear we started having a look at bench rest a couple of years ago and eventually elected to shoot 20 yards indoors, taking part in the Devon County Small Bore Rifle Association league. It's based on NSRA rules and as above, the aim point is a veritable pin head.

So far we have had about ten club members enter for the DCSRA competitions; the winter series has just got under way. In most NSRA comps you have to declare your average score before you start, and then get graded accordingly. In this comp your grading is dynamically assigned; you shoot the first three rounds (out of ten) and are then rank ordered and placed in grades along with similarly performing individuals.

These are postal comps where the cards get sent off roughly every fortnight to be scored. Ten roundels to a card and two cards makes a round of the comp.

In this comp you can shoot either 177 or 22 but once you have chosen a calibre you must stick with it for the season. This makes it a broad church as the LSR guys can shoot their standard 22 cal rigs and so can the FT guys shoot their 177s. It's amazing how a FT rig very quickly becomes suited to bench rest.

We're all still chasing that elusive 100 card. We regularly get 98s and 99s but nobody at our club has as yet printed a perfect 100. I suppose we are really at the limit of pellet production technology too; it doesn't take much of a flaw to send you a millimetre or two off at 20 yards and that could well be a 9.

Sorry Lol I mentioned those two letters; F and T

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    you just couldnt help yourself could you :D ;)

6. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I'm a firm believer in shooting as many different disciplines as possible, very little wind Sunday so we did a 100yd ping pong ball shoot with springers from the FT sitting position, we had an HFT style shoot two weeks ago and weekend before we shot 35yds with diopter!

what's the principle behind benchrest?

7. rich

rich Active Member

Here's a link to the NSRA shop. Click on the BM 2010 picture to see the whole target card.

http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/acatalog/Match_89.html

Ten roundels to be shot at 20 yards. The objective is to punch out the spot in the middle of each roundel without touching the smallest circle at all. If you shoot a 177 pellet then the hole it makes will be gauged out as though you had shot a 22. So even if your 177 hole misses the circle, by the time it's gauged to 22 it might be a 9. If you break the line you get the lower number.

8. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Rich, as the title that RobF has put on this section 'anything bench related', so yes, ofcourse inside aswell as out.

Can I ask you please to set up a different thread that is specific to your comp titled as such in this section please as I am sure a number of people would be interested, maybe copy and paste some of the info again from this thread, it will be nice to grow the info in this section.

What hopefully will become clear is all the different comps that go on across the UK, as you say, the NSRA, the ELEY. Midlands, Glevum, UKBR22 etc etc.

Thanks

Tony

9. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Well Mr Bodger, basically to shoot and as many 10's with x's as possible, and the winner gets a medal :D

I will put up some more details over the next few days.

Tony

10. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Blimey, will have to get another pellet sizer.

Can i presume 12mm? Or am i missing something other than the bull?

Is your "Bristol" club open to visitors?

11. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Hi NJR

12mm would be nice, but the the 2mm is correct :eek:

My club is Glevum near Gloucester, come along and pay us a visit: http://glevumtsc.co.uk/

12. Captain Bongo

Captain Bongo New Member

Club:
    Tawd Vale
    At Tawd Vale earlier this year one of our members put a lot of effort into building a competition bench and donated it to the club. None of us had tried this (new to us) discipline and many questioned how hard it could be for FT shooters to score 250 and 10x. :D

We currently shoot a ten target card within a 5 minute time limit after the main range has closed (so everybody is behind you watching). Although not a perfect format it has fostered a good atmosphere and every week more people are staying behind to have a go.

So anyway, benchrest is growing in the North West. :)

13. buggsson

buggsson New Member

In Sweden we try to stick to the international rules for 25m outdoor. That is, at least our small federation does. We also promote and compete in 50m and 100m outdoors. Especially 100m can be tricky if there is wind and you only have a 10J rifle. We are strill strugling to find good proper targets for 50m and 100m. For 100m you don't want a target with a large black center, very difficult to see your hits on such a target.

I compete in both LV and HV. I am quite new to all shooting so I have tons of stuff to sort out before I can get to starting concentrating on my accuracy skills.

14. miomare

miomare New Member

Hi from BRAC Italia Italy,
    we only have LV and 16J rifles and we've arranged these 50 yards (meters) targets.
    I dont' know how much could be useful for You but we currently employ them with great satisfaction...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  15. KevinHarris

KevinHarris New Member

Just want to say about it Benchrest seems a brilliant shooting form for those interested is extracting every last drop of technical performance from their guns, and as said great for the less physically fit.

just need to solve the issue.

16. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    agreed!

Happy Shooting!:D

17. Mylo

Mylo New Member

Club:
    Tawd vale
    Benchy

We at tawd have been doing benchrest for two years now firstly on a a six monthly comp, winter/summer 10 shots ,5 rounds ,and now a yearly comp,consisting of 12 rounds all shot outdoors in the open field ( plinking range) at 25 yards with no cover (yet:D) very challenging to get a good score .Its picking up now on the people taking part and the scores are really up there now we've had two 100 with 4 x afew 99 +5/6x and everyone taking part really injoys the challenge long may it continue :shot::shot:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)

No The 10 ring measures just 2 mm:)

Most good PCP's will hit that almost every time indoors at 25 yds. However outdoors is a very different matter if there is any wind arround. Plenty of wind flags set out are a big help

John

19. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    John

Until you put a "flawed" human on the trigger end!!!

kr

20. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    ^^^^^^^^ That`s true :D:D