GP's & FT's

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Baltipal, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

At the beginning of this year's Season I eagerly awaited the action to start with a view to seeing the introduction of the Daystate GP & the Schmidt & Bender FT, both FT specific equipment in a sport dominated by adapted kit from other shooting disciplines. I wondered if the new gear would take the FT world by storm or would the massed ranks of Leup topped Dommies, EV's & Steyrs still hold sway?
    Yet it became apparent that the S&B would be a trickle on the scene only, because of commitments to the U.S. Military & the GP invasion on to the GP scene amounted to three rifles, I think. When the Midland Game Fair came around with the European Championships associated with it, I would have expected some kind of promotion of this FT specific equipment. There WERE GP's on the Daystate stand yes but no particular effort to associate the FT rifle with the event happening a few dozen yards away!
    Likewise, a week latter at the FT World Championships, it was an Air Arms EV2 that was the prize to the best FT shooter in the World, not a Daystate GP rifle, although atleast several more were in action there as the South African competitors had recently taken delivery of some.
    Now, why would a Company go to the trouble of developing a piece of equipment for a specific sport then not push it at every opportunity? I mean, FT is a marginal sport yes but it was when the idea of the GP & the FT were considered for the first time, it didn't suddenly become a niche market, it always was!
    Regardless of whether you think the Daystate GP rifle or the S&B FT scope are good pieces of gear or not, it seems odd to me that Sport specific equipment such as these haven't made more of an impact on the sport they are specific too. Price, especially in a depressed period, as we are going through at the moment, must surely be a reason, both items are the lion's share of two grand here but even in a depression people will find the money to pursue their hobbies, perhaps especially in a depression, after all how many Angling shops & Golf Clubs have you seen closing down due to lack of interest?
    Perhaps they require a bit more time, maybe next Season will see the S&B Ãœbberscoped GP's appearing in greater numbers on the circuit, who knows?

2. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Hi Greg,
    Interesting points.........there's always going to be a lag time between intro of new equipment and the uptake of same equipment.

New up-takers are keen for the latest, and prepared to pay top dollar. The majority will wait until costs are within reason (relatively) either second hand or there's market correction (unlikely).

There also has to be a perceived need to change from one's own kit, and whether in fact the equipment is what is holding back the scores? New flash Italian shoes isn't always better than a comfy pair of slippers around the house!

With all the "adapted from other disciplines" kit doing so well and really much more :Daccurate than the shooter themselves,.......I don't think uptake will be quick. Until someone has a blinder of a season using the new kit together and proving it is a must have.........

The more I find out about my rig (cheap but effective scope notwithstanding), the less I am inclined to change just for the sake of it.

regards:D

GS

3. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    i think the GP has serious problems

i know 4 owners in this region

one has waited getting on 12 weeks for it to be returned to him after it had a fault and is on the verge of asking for his money back

another has been back twice and has had a new barrel fitted less than 300 shots old!

another had to go back - not sure why

another 'owner' is still waiting to receive the gun after ordering in september, maybe that doesn't count (yet)

i can never see the GP ever getting that popular - i would rather have a new EV2 and a new nikko for the price of just a GP (and less pissing around)

i can't wait to see what happens with the new S&B though when they finally trickle through :cool:

4. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I shot with a Polish chap at the Euro's with a GP and S&B combo. They've both generated loads of hype and I'm sure if they live up to it they'll become more common.

Ryan

5. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Daystate simply don't have the same reputation amongst FT shooters as they do amongst HFT shooters.
    The GP was Daystates first real attempt to produce something FT specific (I'm not really counting a half hearted MK3 in a big stock) for quite some time.
    Maybe they'll get round to sponsoring a lot of the better FT shots on the circuit and then just watch the popularity rise if the results go well. However, I suspect that AA have probably got all the best (that were available to sponsor) sewn up already.
    Looks like Daystate missed a trick with John Costello too. He was Daystate through and through at one point. I doubt that anyone could part him from his Steyr now.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think GS points are quite valid. There is an insecurity with new kit.

No matter how good something is, it has to be as accommodating as the the present kit, and offer an improvement... then the price can be weighed up. I know from trying the leups... i had a 20-50 and a 40x comp and my current scopes all in my possession for ages, yet I just couldn't drop the custom shop... it just felt like home. The only reason I went away from the white walther was that it had a reg problem and I had to use my spare... which is why I sold no.3 because it rarely got used, and hardly ever in anger.

As said, perhaps if someone suddenly improved after getting a peice of kit, then others may take note. The best endorsement a top shot can give a peice of kit is to keep using it and keep putting in the high scores, as really it's only going to be a marginal improvement even if the new kit is better, and there's a risk it could hold a shooter back if it doesn't suit. And top shots are probably the worst for changing their habits, both in kit and in shooting technique... anything going wrong and they cry home to mama (even if they haven't established the actual cause of the performance drop).

I could be quite critical of a gun that was designed for FT... i think it fell into the trap of being designed to be sold for FT instead. However I don't think it's without solution.

i hope the March will stand tall enough for me to do a side by side with the S&B.

7. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

So very true...

8. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

You see, this is the problem if you rely on word-of-mouth to promote your product. It generally works in our little FT world, infact it travels faster between us than adverts in the monthly comics could possibly disimulate the info but if the word isn't a good one..............
    The only way Daystate can convince us that the GP isn't a lemon is by a concerted effort at positive promotion, yet that's exactly what they're NOT doing!
    At one stage during the year I had come to the conclusion that Daystate & AA had some kind of gentleman's agreement, 'You have FT & we'll take HFT!' but having seen so many AA products at the one HFT event I've attended I can only assume AA just sell more rifles!
    It could be of course that although they haven't impacted on the FT competition circuit, the Clubs are choca-block with them & the South African fellas seem to be chuffed to bits with theirs! I would have thought though that as Britain is the epicentre for FT that they would have impacted here first & spread out to foreign parts.

9. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

I suspect that your proximity to Daystate may well be colouring that in just the same way that Steyrs are much more prevalent in the North East region due to the proximity to the importer. My own club is far from choca-block with Daystates. I'd go so far as to say that their following has dwindled alarmingly.

10. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

And mine Sam, I was just not precluding the possibility that there may be more than I can see at a comp. No GP's at the 'ride at all!

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The trouble with word of mouth is chinese whispers. And sometimes even speaking to the organ grinder isn't better than the monkey.

12. Jon

Jon Member

Only ever seen 4 GP used in the whole of this season, non regular, FT ers are not gullable and we know what we require. Just a hunting rifle in a humongous stock, if it were designed as an FT product they would have done a little homework and listened to what the punters wanted. The prototypes were spot on, you wont believe how good they were!
    S&B listened to what prospective customers wanted and designed a scope accordingly. What came about is they are now producing great scopes overall but just expensive and thats a major difference to above.