1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GP5 Dunfermline

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    BFTA GP5: Dumfounded in Dumfermline

BFTA GP5: Dumfounded in Dumfermline

News travels fast, and Dave and the Dunfermline crew had been busy making sure this wouldn't be the 2nd Grand Prix to be cleared this year.

A battery of 50+ yd shots, with 3 standing lanes and kneelers set to test, met the visiting shooters from all parts of the UK, including Northern Ireland. Not content with the same layout as last year, the course was reset to run in the opposite direction as the two previous Scottish GP's.

A light breeze prevailed, and even though most coped with the various angles of fire, the light and dark targets, a seemingly innocent breeze cut deep into the scores. Many were lulled into a false sense of security at one end, only to have their scores robbed at the other. Just trying to get used to what didn't make sense wasn't working either, as the same breeze took entire kills at 45 yds at one end, and yet didn't move a pellet at 55 at the other. There was only one part of the course that made sense to me, sadly it was only a third of it.

In the morning, Andy Gillott started strong holding onto 1 or 2 misses for most of the course, until it took it's toll leaving him with 42 and allowing Neale Daniels to squeeze past on 44. Andy Calpin however led the charge on 46, seemingly in line for his first GP win of the season. But it wasn't to be... in A grade, Andrew Luckley on his 2nd ever GP was the one to claim the win with 47. A staggering achievement, especially considering the closest A grader came in with 39. Despite several attempts in the afternoon, no one could come close, not in A, or AA.

So after 2 near misses this season, an A grader has now won a GP. To be honest I'm glad i'm in AA!

The scores (for those that want to look:eek:) are up here... and Dave has promised some pics to be posted later.

Some personal stats, it took 75 litres of fuel, 535 miles at 70.7 mph average to discover just how much there is still to learn about FT, and another 75 litres, 535 miles at 70.4 mph average on the way back to take the gun, the pellets and the scope off the list of suspects and find the real culprit behind what went wrong. Me.

Next year...I will have my revenge Davey, I will :D

Byley next... we're only 1/2 way through the season, and i'm really starting to wonder what we have in store for the other 1/2.

2. saltydog

saltydog I smell something fishy

Club:
    Mid Ulster, Tawd Vale
    Mega course

Was a MEGA course really enjoyed my first gp heard there where 31 targets over 50 yards:eek: but it was not all far targets as there where compulsories 10 of, i think 3 or4 reducers aound 35 that leaves the rest between 45 and 50 an honest day's work;) i think you will agree. i would like to thank everyone envolved for a great day and my shooting partners RobF and robert (I was bound to mark a wrong card wasn't I:eek:)for looking after me being a gp virgin and all that.

3. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Good luck to all those competing in Sunday's event.;)

4. richos36

richos36 Member

and you mate :)

where you all camping ??

shaun :D

5. RobF

Club:
    likewise...

i'm camping at kinross, travelodge ... it's scotland ffs... either it's cold & wet, or hot and full of things after your flesh (and midges)...:D

6. mistthebugger

mistthebugger I came, I saw, I missed..

Scotland...things after a pound of flesh....that would be Gordan Brown then.:)

Fair play to those doing the travelling, gotta feel sorry for Dunfermline as they have to travel so far for all the others.

7. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

Well, that was a great day, really enjoyed seeing everyone, hit a few and didn't feed too many midgies.

I will get the pics up later (haven't looked at them yet)... Hope everyone got home ok.

8. RobF

Club:
    Yep, always worth the trip...

I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE NEXT YEAR! :D

will put some waffle up later...

sorry for forgetting the badges Dave, pm me your address :)

9. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

A great weekend ! A good smooth drive up there, a cracking Saturday night out at the Dander Inn, (They even fired the BBQ up when they found out we hadn't had any tea!) & a easy drive home. The shooting bit in the middle wasn't my finest hour exactly, perhaps too many McEwens 70's at the Dander the night before & I paid the price by coming in at the bottom of B!
    As Rob says, always a good shoot up there, so hospitable & friendly. I'm pleased to see that enough competitors made the journey to warrant an afternoon session.
    Well done Dunfermline!

10. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Any pics up yet ?

11. RobF

Club:
    I didn't take any :(, but photoguy did, so hopefully there will be some appearing :)

I'm doing the stopover for Byley so there will be some from the afternoon there :)

12. Talented Mr Ripley

Talented Mr Ripley Non member

Thanks for the generous write up Rob. I must appologise for not being able to stay around until prize giving. I wasn't being rude or even aloof but simply had previous committments. To be honest when I set out at half 5 on Sunday morning I never expected to be winning anything let alone the overall win. Needless to say I had a great day and enjoyed the rather long course. Now lets get onto the No. 10 petition to ensure that no airgun ban in Scotland comes to fruition and there are many GP's in Scotland for years to come where I can get back to my usual standards.

Andrew

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Kev ?

What is going on with little kev nowadays . a while back he was banging in some big scores ? boby banks seems to have taken his place . ??? HOLLY

14. SIMONH

SIMONH Giddy Kid

I collected Michael Cotters 3rd place A grade trophy for him from Dunfermline at the weekend

If he reads this or someone can let him know and if he is going to the next GP at Byley I can bring it along

Thanks Simon Higgins

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Prize ?

Yes mate he will be there and if not i will take it for him ??? HOLLY

16. RobF

Club:
Thread Status: