Gp Timing ( FT )

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Sep 4, 2010.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Having done 80 shots practise yesterday, 1 minte per lane for two targets and never really got close to the 60 seconds once, it made me think if the Gp timing of 2 minutes per lane (2 targets) was reduced to say 90 seconds, how much would it shave off the day? The gp on average are taking 3+ half -4 hours?
    Would it put a bit more edge on the compition?

I would like to see it change, what do other Gp shooters think:confused:

2. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i mainly get mine shots off in 1 minute to 1min 15,only goes to 1min 30 on standers,and alot off shooters r about the same who ive shot with this seasion,but i no some shooters struggle at 2mins:confused:

3. NJR 100

Club:
    I am probably the sam times in Gp, but thats more to do with taking my time more than i need to it would seem after yesterday.

Just wondering if it would save a bit of time on the long day and perhaps make it a bit more interesting, time wise?

4. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Have not done a GP for a few years, work keeps getting in the way :eek: . But I average about 50 seconds for both shots after about 3 or 4 lanes. Those first few lanes are just to get me settled down.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    The timing for the WFTF to be used for World Championships IMO is a better option.
    3 mins per lane.
    BUT this begins when the bum hits the bean bag, or for disciplines when you come to the lane and address target. This eliminates all the sitting about waiting for winds to drop, pulling strings etc. It actually speeds up shoots with less waiting at lanes

6. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    I think a lot of the hold ups this year in the GP's were problems with the targets and horns going off, I seem to remember at Tawd vale this year in the field behind the bottom end of the course there were people walking around which held the shoot up by ten mins, and on the other hand at Devon GP this year we hand finished in 2 hours.
    Also because FT shooting has become popular again sometimes we have on lane One 3 groups of shooters.
    I think we should keep it the same most of the time I have shot a lane in less than 1.30 mins but for newer shooters the 2 mins is about right.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  7. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Let It Be

Let it stay two minutes,
    if something doesn't go to plan, like dropping your pellets, taking longer to range-find, getting a cramp, working out what the wind is doing,
    then there is some leeway to recover the situation.

If there were numerous course clearances every competition,
    then maybe it would be time to think about changing the timing and other variables.

8. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    I'd like to see a total time limit from when you sit down at the gate, say 3 minutes, with no pre-loading. Most people get their first shot off within 5-20 sec of putting the scope to the eye, but have already spent some time in preparation before even looking through the scope. If you included the time of wriggling into position, opening up scope covers, getting jock-straps all sorted out etc. then 3 minutes starts to put a bit of pressure on. It also cuts out the "let's have a massive pre-shot analysis before the gun goes into the shoulder" routine, or the "we'll just wait for the wind to die down" syndrome.

I'm sure Mr. Bunny or Mr. Pigeon doesn't sit still waiting obligingly for the wind to die down, and it's meant to be Field Target, right?

9. Ripleysniper

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Where are the stats to show 'most people get the first shot off in 5 to 20 seconds'? I find that a bit dubious.

10. Jon

Jon Member

Probably a better way Jerry on the whole, some people want a bomb under them.
    Thats ok if the targets are clearly visible and the strings go direct to the targets rather than up the M1 first.

11. Jon

Jon Member

Most people do get the shots off in around 20 to 30 secs the way it is at present.
    You will be struggling if havent got the shot off within 45 secs.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    3mins how we do it at the worlds or abroad works ok... you can still eek it out as it's when you address the targets, and so it's grey as to what that means.

I think that's the problem, having a definitive list of things that starts the clock. Abroad it tends to be bum hitting seat... but then you can stand and pull or lay your gear out etc etc...

I'm not sure there's a problem... but then i will make full use of the 50 minutes of shooting time my £10'er bought :D... and a bit more beforehand ;)

13. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Just anecdotal observation, but most fairly sorted FT shooters will load, pre-set range approximately and make sure they are well-aligned to the target before shouldering the gun. Target acquisition is therefore quick, and it only need a tweak to gather focus. 15-20 may be a tad unedrestimated, but I doubt if it's much more than 30 for the first shot. I don't consider myself to be quick, but generally get both off in less than a minute.

It's a rare shooter that goes over 1:30 on a free-positional lane: some do, but not many. I'm not suggesting eliminating 2 mins, but putting a maximum time on bum-down to 2nd shot. That may help some, but also ensure that the shoots "move on".

14. Ripleysniper

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    That maybe right but I still feel we will tend to alienate less experienced shooter.

15. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    Its OK talking about timing and use of clocks but until everyone follows the rules and actualy use the clocks its a waste of time........The only event it is taken seriuosly is at the showdown.

16. NJR 100

Club:
    I would say clocks have been used at all gp this year by most, cant say i have seen many not using the clocks, and then its usually at the end of the Gp when a shooter is usually getting 2 shots off around a minute.

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Right .

The way you was shooting today if you had half an hour you still would not have got any more targets ??? HOLLY:D:)

18. NJR 100

Club:
    The day you knock Ian Taylor out of the Showdown I will give you the £10 back + another £10!!:D

I reckon I would have had him with the Ev2:D Next year:)

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Ha Ha .

Ian is a pussy mate . the car park was full of shooters with EV2s who thought the same as you . they are poke and hope guns . get a good GC . ??? HOLLY

20. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Usual talk

Fair play Holly....

YOU CAN STILL TALK SHITE MATE.........

Berty