GP bookings...Sywell

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by chrisc, Aug 17, 2009.

1. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi all, i have a general question as regard to the internet booking of places for the GP's.

It says on the BFTA site that all places are full and there is a reserve list. However i've been informed that it states somewhere on the BFTA site that if you turn up to a GP you can shoot. How does this work?...what if i turn up at 6 a.m? will i be told that i have to wait around until the internet bookers decide whether they're going to turn up or not?

Just looking for some clarification before i email Mr Moy.

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Chris, I'm not sure there is any hard & fast ruling anywhere stating everybody can shoot, in the past this hasn't really been a problem but this year has seen massive GP turnouts.

The first few GP's this season were stated as being full but then some people dropped out which meant that people turning up on the day could shoot.

I think Roger is trying to be as fair as possible by publicly asking shooters who can't turn up to let him know ASAP & then filling the oplaces from his reserve list.

I'd definitely give Roger a shout, you'll probably find he can fit you in as some more drop out.

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Ta Pete..i'll drop Rog a message.

4. CoolId

CoolId New Member

He hasn't found a place for me and I went on the reserve list about 3 weeks ago ...

Regards

Dave

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

What i'm getting at is this....what if Rog says sorry but it's full and then you find out that there were actually spare places as people didn't turn up or bother to cancel?

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Neither of my partners turned up at GP8 Nelson & i was moved onto another lane,this also happened at GP4 Newbury,there will always be people who can't turn up for what ever reason ,but it can be along way to go to take that gamble on a place.

Scott,

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

If Roger can;t get you in then it's a risk you could take, there's probably a good chance you'd get in but it's a long way to be disappointed

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Exactly...Rog has replied saying i'm in the reserves:rolleyes:....but i won't hold my breath. If i don't risk it and then find out there were places, i'll not be happy.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed as i've got my enthusiasm for FT back. I would be interested to know the percentage of people that booked and then didn't show.

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    We turned up at GP8 without pre-booking and managed to squeeze in ok. I think there were 13 no shows for session 1 although some of those arrived later for session 2 and there must have been a few no shows for session 2 because on the booking sheet they were up to lane 1D and in the end there was no need for a 1C or 1D and some lanes only had 2 shooters on so there were at least 7 or 8 spaces in session 2.

Mind you this is the last GP of the season so I'd imagine there'll be less chance of no shows for this one.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think GP8 had more no-shows than that... however I think it's been the worst this year... Andy told me yesterday that Newbury had about 4 but they still had 4 standing squads (ie 12 people not on a lane) per session.

I know the whole subject has been discussed at BFTA level. Some of the regional reps have stated how easier the online booking has made things, but there is this problem of people on GP's that are supposedly fully booked. I expect more chat in November, so badger your rep!

What hasn't helped is that some GP's have sat on their list for a while before realising the thing is full... apparently with this one the list was lost, and when it was recompiled the problem occured. (or something along those lines).

One could debate the early booking without paying, but then it allows you to organise your respective's expectations of when your available early :D and also allows hotel rooms to be booked... but i suppose it also allows time for people to forget or get more important things shoved on their plate in the mean time.

I think it would be good that as you booked in, a list online was automatically generated... and a non-refundable deposit of 1/2 charged.

From my perspective, I don't have a problem with it being online only... i think UKAHFT only do it by post, so I don't have a problem with just one method of booking as someone will always find it awkward, and I think online has many advantages (not a crit of UKAHFT... it takes effort to fill in a form and post, so perhaps that avoids 1 problem of no-shows).

There is a problem of getting more numbers into GP's... I can think of many names I haven't seen so mucn of this year... yet many have been at capacity... dunno what the solution is... there's only so much time in the day... a lane with 3 takes x to shoot, a lane with 2 drops the numbers... I think sessions have taken around up to 3.5 hours so far at least, so adding more lanes is out.

More GP's perhaps?

11. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The problem with online booking without payment is at the start of the season everybody block booked shoots just in case they were going to attend & then lots just didn't turn up. For the first few GP's people were informed on the internet that shoots were fully booked so couldn't come, only to find out later that if they'd have turned up on the day there were loads of spaces due to the no shows.

We find that if they have to send a cheque & form in the post then they are more likely to turn up :D We still get a few shooters who don't turn up & can't be bothered to let us know, even a text on the morning of the shoot would help us with the booking in & lane allocation.:rolleyes:

12. RobF

Club:
    That's why I reckon to fly it has to be accompanied by a 50% payment.

13. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I think it's a general problem with any pre-booking system, the UKAHFT also have a problem with no-shows at events too so I don't think making people pay up front will help to solve the problem.

My solution would be - reduce the number of lanes to 20, have 3 sessions with the first session starting promptly at 8:30 and only open the first 2 sessions for advanced pre-booking, then open the 3rd session for pre-booking a couple of weeks before the event.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

Given the £4000 worth of prizes in the draw, I expect not too :)

Lee

15. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    the online booking without payment makes it easier for those not on the internet to book in ;)

they can get a mate to do it - if you weren't on the internet would you give out your card details? - you wouldn't have paypal either would you?

the BFTA can't really do it by post either as its not the BFTA that do the bookings its the club hosting it, can you imagine how much of a PITA it would be sending 9 separate entry forms to 9 separate places :rolleyes:

the online booking makes the whole planning thing much easier - you can write out peoples lanes and cards and so on before the shoot - i think its the best way for them to do it

they might get a few no shows but you will with any method :rolleyes:

16. RobF

Club:
    The problem is Steve, that at the moment the club secs are looking at two lists... the one the BFTA site generates, and the one they make from people phoning/emailing/pigeoning the club directly. And there are numerous re-entries from Bibby Binks and his mate Babby Bonks. But to people's credit, at least it's working to that end... :) Sifting, adding, etc those lists adds to the overheads that adds to the time lag that takes a GP from 2/3 to over full in 48 hours, which has happened twice this year (as i believe)

I realise there's plenty of people who are in the dark as far as the net goes, but it's not beyond the reach of people to cough up a £5'er to their mates over the winter league. You could even book ahead at GP's or BFTA champs etc... take the money then.

Your right that you'd get a few no-shows, but I reckon it would be less perhaps. But then again, you might get less sign-ups... oh to be on the BFTA committee... glad i'm not... i can sit and snipe from the sidelines and run away to the EFTA :D easy life. Does make me take my hat of to those that continually stick their head above the bunker and organise stuff all the time, at whatever level.