Got A Bit Bored .

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by holly, Mar 7, 2019.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Retired so time i have a plenty . season coming up and intend to do three GPs . stuck in open class cos of a dodgy knee . so i thought as weight is a good thing sitting . a dirty great scope might be good , to help stop me wobbling about . so what big scope do i like and can afford . did think of a 80 mag march . not many about secondhand though . new would be to dear . had a S&B , nope . hmmm . well i had tried a Sightron a few years back , but did not like that one . very narrow field of view and dark . anyway a member of our club Barry Warren , has two of em ( Greedy Git ) so when he came over to the IOW for a visit and a shoot . i had a try of his . gotta say , not half bad . clear , not what i would call bright ( not leupold bright ) but quite a bit better than a Big Nikko . very good MOA ret . target illum dot . i found to counteract the narrow field of view . it was with a coaster very easy once found to zoom up to 35 mag . range , down again to shoot . prices pretty good secondhand . so i looked into em . found that as far as i could see there were three versions of em used for FT . The SV ( used to win the worlds ) 34 mil tube i think it is . the later FT . which only ranges from 10 to 57 yards . and the latest one which ranges on out a lot further ( although i have not seen one ) the FT seemed not to be liked as much as the latest one from what i could find out . but the FT was cheaper . ok so i bought a FT model . after all a faint heart never won a comp . so what do i think having had a play with it today for the first time . well the first thing is . you def need one of Johno's Cam side wheels . and one of his turrets if your flush . a coaster can be got off flea bay for £6.50 . not fantastic but it works . 3d printed . the one i have has the MOA ret . very nice . no silly bells and whistles . good gaps . the illum ret works well on just the target dot . this one on 35 mag ranges from 9 yards to just below 60 yards . as the gent who i bought it off said it would . repeats well as far as i had the time today to check . only down side i can see is the weight . it is a bit of a beast . so will i keep/do well with it . ? come along to the southern GPs and take the piss if i don't . Cheers HOLLY

nat and Neil-T like this.
  2. Avensis

Avensis New Member

Shame you are selling it Holly, should have given it a bit longer, after all, because of health issues, you have to compete in Open Class.

3. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    So the x60 March is consigned to the parts bin then? ;)

4. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

SV used to win worlds?? Ive only seen 1 of them, John Costello had one at redfearns a few years back. Too fiddely with the silly twin sidewheel setup

5. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Its true that JC won the Worlds using a Sightron, but it was not the SV model.:)

6. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I struggled to tell my Sightron apart from my Big Nikko's quality and optics wise, so at twice the price the Sightron went and funded a couple of smaller scopes for general range work.

If your FT suits you them that's all that matters, if not, just persevere till you get something you like, scopes can be very personal.

James

7. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    I love the sightron moa I have two of them also have delta stryker which I don't use can't really get on with it so not given it a proper go yet may do in summer at nefta fun shoots

8. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    Holly if you can't get used to short parallax range send it back to be reparellaxed that's what I did with mine also I use one of andras gapacity wheels on mine totally brilliant

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    After using the sightron on both my rifles . i have decided it is not for me . apart from the weight it is pretty much perfect for a FT scope . love the ret ( moa ) surprised by the clarity . smooth controls . repeatable ranges . really steady on the lower mags for shooting . ranges ( AJP side wheel ) out to about 59 yards for me . ( my 20=50 lupe goes to 57 yards ) if i was a prize hunter ( and a bit younger ) i would perservere . but i am not . i got half way around our course and realised i was not enjoying the shoot . no building excitement at a possible clearence ( unlikely ) just , this is hard work . as was said . scopes are individual things . never mind , not like i don't have two good scopes . i shall just have to thrash colin and neil with those in the GPs this year . ??? HOLLY

PS Good luck to all at the regionals . just a bit more luck to Central . Stand clear of the doors , i will be Coming Throughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .

10. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    [​IMG]

11. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Holly, you seem to be going around in circles, in your opening post you said you could use a heavy scope to steady your sitters.o_O
    Now you say the Sightron is too heavy (Big Nikko almost the same weight) but its true they can make an outfit rather heavy.:(

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes mate and i thought i could . the weight changes the balance of my steyr pup . it makes it awkward . plus i shoot three days a week ( retired ) when i have finished our course , i have a cuppa and a sandwhich and do some selected standers ( easy ) usually about twenty . with the Sightron fitted i could only do about 9 or ten . softee ? yes . i was getting the hump , not enjoying the course and the rifle . but that is just me . i would recommend the scope to anybody . you pays your money and you takes your chance ??? HOLLY

13. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Sounds like you need to break out the x60 March (light and capable) again and maybe set the eye-piece up properly this time...;)

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    As said the lupe i have via sportsmatch ( gary ) works a treat in the really cold weather . but as soon as it starts to get warmer . off it comes and mr march goes on . i just find my 60 mag march to be on the dark side . that has nothing to do with set up . i have looked through Robs one and that was exactly the same as mine . ( dark as the inside of cliff church's wallet ) . by the way , they are not all the same . as i have tried later ones and found them to be better in that respect . ??? HOLLY

15. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Just a thought, but use it at x40 mag so it's a bit brighter....no don't thank me...;)

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Colin , the more mag you use . the darker it gets . Rob i believe uses his on 60 mag ? he must have eyes like lazers . ??? HOLLY

17. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I know mate, that’s exactly why I’m suggesting to use it on x40 mag. if it’s too dark for you.
    Considering that you are, or were the x35 mag. King, x40 mag. for ranging must be mere bagatelle...;)