Google club finder

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Gibbs, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I am interested to find out how the Google club directions are generated?
    I have used it to find a number of clubs now and have had some big problems, for example the directions for South Dorset FTC sent me into Axminster for no good reason and then back out onto the same road I was on before!?
    The directions for Anston where terrible and told me to get off the M1 at junction 29a, which is one junction short. I then spent over an hour trying to find the club!
    And now, I have just checked the directions for Castle, and they finish with the words "merge onto the M1"
    I don't know if any of these mistakes can be rectified? Or if they are generated by Google and can't be changed.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    on the map on here?

I must admit, i don't tend to use them, i rely on my GPS... i just use them to find them on it's map... it's down to google i'm afraid.

With castle for instance, you must be careful and stick the pointer on the start of the entrance... this is physically near the M1, but you have to get off it and take a back road around as it's not near a junction, just near the motorway.

I endeavour, where I can, to stick the route into the ground, as some small roads don't appear on the google routes, some are well worn tracks...

hope that helps...

give me a rough start point, and i'll see what it generates for me :)

3. Weevie

Weevie Banned

One of these will save hours of frustration, trust me.

Anybody who's every tried to find Quarry without SatNav will tell you, they're worth every penny. ;)

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I have found directions for Castle from their own website, but I will be carefull in the future. Especially when travelling nearly 400 miles to a shoot!
    I'm not a big fan of satnav, maybe I'll get one when they work properly.

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    some sat navs lose gps near castle grounds matey my mates tomtom switches off

6. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

That doesn't suprise me, I know they can be very useful, but none of them are fool proof and apparently they cause 300,000 accidents a year!?
    I prefer good old fashioned directions and a map.

7. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    As I go over the bridge into the Castle ground, my Garmin lady demands that I turn right - off the bridge and onto the M1!

8. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Will Castle be signposted on Sunday?:)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I can't see the problem with a decent sat nav. Mine has taken me to 3 GP's at clubs I have never been at and I live in a different country.
    With a little homework, local directions, the roadname, number or better still the postcode it's difficult to go wrong. Better still is the co-ordinates which you should be able to find from the club (website). Google and even some of the routefinders on the web are wrong in many situations.
    HTH Conor

10. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Mine's the cheapest Tom Tom available and provided I give it the correct inputs I generally get the correct output. On occasion I ignore it. Well, I've always looked at the map and considered the different routes before leaving anyway and so if I know there's a blockage or roadworks then I know something that the SatNav doesn't.

...I suspect those who allow the SatNav to replace their common sense never had much in the first place.:rolleyes: (and generally it's best to ignore people campaigning about this sort of thing anyway, they're often either shrivelled up kill-joys, 'interested parties' or people who are looking to increase their power at the expense of your liberty)

Yeah, much easier to blame a device for someone being an arse than accept the blame themselves. As Mandy Rice-Davis would have said. 'They would say that wouldn't they' :D (oh and as far as the 300, 000 figure goes, it looks like they're extrapolating from the survey population of 2000, nice headline but arse-gravy as far as an established fact goes)

I'm not a great driver, but funnily enough the two accidents that I've had were the result of me not paying attention, not because SatNav reached out and stole a bit of my brain! :D In fact in both cases the SatNav was in it's little case in my glove compartment.

In 2002 (the first year I could find stats for) in the UK there were 641,238 reported accidents on the roads. Okay that will have gone up quite a bit. Say it's doubled. That's 1.3 million accidents a year (that'll be an over estimation but let's use it anyway). Are we saying that SatNavs are responsible for a quarter of all accidents?

I doubt that SatNavs are even used in a quarter of all car journeys let alone the ones that are associated with accidents.

Honestly, I don't work for Tom Tom or Garmin but trust me, they do make life a lot easier. Treat yourself to one, do your homework like you do at the moment before leaving and most important of all, make sure the post code is genuinely the right one (Yes I'm talking to you Kibworth! :D:p) or better yet get the lat/long for the club. Even more accurate that way! ;)

11. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    If you use your sat nav to take you to the actual location of Castle, it will try and drop you on the hard shoulder of the M1.
    If you look at the following link, there is a green "this is the closest you can get using sat nav" pin.
    Use that for your co-ordinates, then go over the bridge to the car park (on the map the route over the bridge is shown by the blue line and the car park by the blue pin).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...d=108391226590776496714.0004558a72238a07b36b6

12. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Quote "Mine's the cheapest Tom Tom available and provided I give it the correct inputs I generally get the correct output. On occasion I ignore it."

As stated earlier, I might get one when they work properly!:)