FT Going retro...

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, May 30, 2018.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ok, so we know retro is the new cool and plenty of people are interested in the good old days when it all started and a bit after.

Is it possible to define it? Ie could you say what is a retro gun and what isn't, likewise with a scope, what's retro and what isn't?

I'm thinking an HW77 is a pretty safe bet, but a HW97 probably isn't...

Likewise a GC2 is, but perhaps a pro-target isn't?

Is there a modern retro scope (20-50 or custom shop) or are is anything sidewheel and big mag too new for cool?

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Any thing that is not a 9015 . it would seem .

especially them dirty old walthers ................:)

MickyFinn likes this.
  3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    In cycling terms anything pre-1997 is considered Retro.

MickyFinn likes this.
  4. Darron

Darron Trainee Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Millride FTC
    I would say a retro pcp set up would be a Air Arms Shamal topped with a low mounted Tasco Tr 6=24 anything side wheel wouldn’t be cool enough

RAMBO, Lofty and bow like this.
  5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Springers: HW77, Hw80, HW35, Webley Vulcan, AA Mistral/Camargue/Khamsin etc, FWB Sport, Sirocco, Imperator. Arguably TX mk.1 but not later.
    PCP: AA Shamal, NJR or other 100 series, Early Daystate Huntsman, GC2. RN10 at a pinch but is pushing it. Mk.1 Rapid?
    Scope: Tasco AG 2-7x32 or a bunch of 3-9x40s or similar from Simmons or Kassnar or fancy glass like Pecar, Zeiss if you had deep pockets. Tasco TR 4-16 or 6-24, Bushnell Banner 6-18 possibly? Can’t remember when the Simmons 6,5-20x44 came out but might be pushing it.

I don’t think the Custom Shops are quite retro enough. Nothing with a mildot ret or fancy stadia lines either.
    Pellets: Domes, Silhouettes, FTT, Prems.

If I put my 77K Laza back in its original stock (still at the back of the cupboard; its current teak GinB does not qualify) and stick my old Simmons 2-7x32 WA (wide angle with the TV screen view) back on top, I’d be ready to rock retro FT. I’ve still got 2 boxes of die#2 prems to feed it on too!

6. cocksure

cocksure Weihrauch flasher mac....

Didn't pellets used to be made of coal?

Us new shooters don't know we're born etc....

I'd pay to see you 'old skool' shooters go 'round an FT course today on less than 50 mag.....yeah,right. :D

How cool would your scores be today on todays courses? However you'd probably look dead trendy missing......like some modern 9015 owners do!!!;)

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Don't forget lots of waxed cotton Mr . Sure

cocksure likes this.
  8. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Neil, ive got a 1996 twin down tube, carbon fibre framed Mongoose mountain bike, i'd not class that as retro even IF it is 22 years old....? The Eroica Britannica retro cycle event classes "old/retro" as pre 88 ;):p:D

9. cocksure

Go on then.....

Gat gun shooting corks on the pistol range

Back on topic?:rolleyes:

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    So is the 20 year rule a sliding bracket? When does retro become vintage?

11. cocksure

A 1980s Webley tempest/Hurricane is vintage....a 1990s of the same gun is retro.

Probably.

12. EV2UK

EV2UK Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Part of me wants an NJR100 with an old gloss Tasco 6-24 TR scope.

Is this retro?

Darron likes this.
  13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    As far as MTB's are concerned, consensus either side of 'The Pond' say 97. Road bikes are different, they have been around an awful lot longer, my 'L'Eroica qualifier' Dave Lloyd is 1978 and that's a youngster compared to many.

Sorry, bit off topic.

MickyFinn likes this.
  14. cocksure

Original Nike Air force one...vintage

Modern Nike Air force one ...retro

Bit off topic but it didn't stop anyone else did it?:D

15. dusty57

dusty57 Member

Club:
    broadlands arc
    the simmons 6.5x20 was for the rich people us poor had the simmons 6x24 if memory serves it was about £60 cheaper

RAMBO likes this.
  16. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hi Rob, since we had the chat at the inters weekend regarding "Classic FT" I ran it by some guys in other regions too, with a view that it could be a foot in the door to people not currently doing FT and the thought of entering the full on arms race actively puts them off.

After getting some feedback, I have asked for Classic FT to be tabled as a discussion topic at the BFTA meeting in June for official feedback from other regions.

It's not the age limited class as in a 20 year cap, but sort of a going back to basics and with limited mag as the change point (as I and others saw it in the 90's) was the jump to boosted mag scopes from companies like premier, then the introduction of the big sidewheels like the custom shops and big bsa/nikko.

My Introductory wording below is from our regional group, feedback has been mixed to say the least, but the negative element comes mainly from the current shooters who are full on arms race focussed, not the intended targeted newer, or returning shooters.

"After talking with a good cross section of people up and down the country about shooting in general, where FT has come from and where it's heading. One of the biggest talking points is equipment cost and how high end equipment focussed the sport has become over the past few years. I'm talking about newer trends that are sticking a chunk of extra cost into equipment, that only really benefit the people with enough experience to use the bits to their full potential.
    So, My proposal is a new class, an equipment limited class so that it doesn't mean you have to go all out arms race to compete. Any gun, so still FT, but no adjusting anything on stock when started, so does away with the need for costly adjustable but hooks and fore ends that can stick 600£ on a set up.
    Also, limited scope mag of 25x max, to bring into play all the quality older equipment from the early 90s that people used to use, plus the newer generation of mid range scopes to make it relevant and attractive to newer equipment manufacturers.
    I had originally thought 24x mag ceiling, but feedback from a friend pointed out the shift by manufacturers to 25x mid range scopes.
    Think of FT in bygone days, pure, more basic, less cost if you want it to be."

17. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I'd be interested in a retro shoot, anything made before 1990.
    I have an NJR with a 4-20x40 Air Logic scope on top which fills the bill.

18. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

As an avid HFT shooter I would be interested in this as a half way house between the two disciplines. Even if it's just a 1 off or annual event.
    Good excuse to get the GC2 + Bausch and Lomb out too ;)

Grey, MickyFinn, RAMBO and 2 others like this.
  19. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Throbbing Member

Club:
    The Anston Massive
    Great idea Dave. I was just messing about with my TM100 earlier & reckon it would like an outing. The NJR will remain a cabinet queen though!

20. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    I like the idea behind this, so somebody with a S400 with a 3-9 or 6-24 can feel like they're taking part in our sport, but TBH, I think that all you'll do is to introduce another version of 'the arms race' as people buy kit to 'work round' the class rules, UNLESS you can tie up the classification tightly, but then it'll become an even smaller class than 'piston class' (I well remember the ill-fated attempt to get the 'Sporting Air Rifle' sport started - basic kit, sporter style stocks only but it failed through the kit rules not being restrictive enough. Though I wasn't involved, I knew the guy that was behind it well).

Example questions:
    "No adjusting anything on stock when started" - does this mean that somebody shooting an Anshutz (for example) can still take part in the class, but can't adjust the stock once started?
    "Scope mag max of 25x" - is that 'manufacturers max' or 'max usable' (i.e. can have a 20-50x but can only use it on a max of 25x)?

Nice idea, but will probably need a lot of work to implement & working the equipment classification out