Going over the limit ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Kingplinker, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi

I have lost count of the amount of threads I have seen on the net with regards to air gun power etc

In my honest opinion you would have to be rather unlucky to be tested over power on a hft event ...... now before you all bombard me please hear me out .

If you are responsible enough to own an airgun you should be responsible enough to make sure the power is well under 12 ft lbs with heavy pellets ( BIZMAGS for instance ) - this is the pellet most commonly used to test a rifles power in the airgun community ( feel free to correct me on this ). Also please remember this --- lighter pellets = more power in springers / heavier pellets = more power in pcp's although I would check my guns with light and heavies as I believe this theory can alter depending on the gun tested !

I know loads of people who run their guns at 11.8 ft lbs but the variation and power curve alone could see that figure go through the roof , add to that a heavier pellet and you are Oop sheeet street without a paddle !

It must be said that some faulty guns can cause problems too and if you take it to a registered RFD and its over the limit I hope he takes it away from you as it would be regarded as a firearm and illegal without an FAC ( fire arms cert ) - regular checks could avoid this happening btw .

I set most of my guns to 11.2 ft lbs which gives me plenty of consistent shots and is powerful enough should I wish to go hunting and humanly dispatch a bunny etc

Do yourself a favour and check your guns because if the law doesn't get you some fat hairy ar$ed airgunning fella with a chrono at a hft comp will !!!!!!!! ;)

atvb

Dave

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

As someone who does competition FT shoots I regularly check my rifles. They are all set to around the 11.2ft/lb mark (7.9s @795fps or 8.4@770fps) which give me confidence that at no point will they be over. It also means that I get a few more shots from the charge.

My personal point of view is that it is better to have less power and know that you will always be under the limit

3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Agreed, Generaly run my pre charge rifles at the 775/780fps mark giving a ft/lb of 11.3, generally a nice place to sit. Also gives the protarget 80 usefull shots to a charge which I find is plenty for GPs.

Will

4. clubshot

clubshot Member

Power does seem to be worry more Shooters

As request for Club Chrono's to be out more Often @ Lea Valley

Also requesting decent Temprature Gauges

BOB/R

5. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Never have this problem at M.A.D bob prehaps you lot have a different climate:D:D

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Good :)... a healthy concern rather than paranoia is my mantra for the subject.

7. clubshot

clubshot Member

Majority that uses the Ranges @ Lea Valley are Not Competition Shooters

Majority come just to spend a Few hours - Shooting their Air Gun's Legally on the Ranges ;)

Often with their Children and other Halfs ;)

BOB/R

8. Kingplinker

Just to re-cap .

Not scaremongering here but it's not rocket science keeping our guns legal is it ? ;) No big shocks or headlines , just the black and white truth of it .

The first thing I used to do when a new member was setting up their gun was to chrono it for them , apart from being safe its the first thing they should do before setting up a gun anyway . Once the power curve is checked and the best fill achieved then we work on the other things like trying to hit a target !

Dave

9. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

What's this power curve thingy of which you speak:p:p:p:D:D Since David Snook had a play with the Wolf its +/- 3fps across the range untill it hits 90bar then it drops by 40fps which tends to give you some idea that you need a refill, I found this out the hard way:eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. Kingplinker

:D

Thing is Chris a friend of mine had a new s400 which got a tad warm ( roasting ) when it reached 110 BAR so its well worth keeping an eye on things .

You rich people with expensive guns need not worry as the gun does everything bar collect the trophy for you . lol

atvb

Dave