glasses when shooting

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by mustad, May 12, 2016.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    What I would question is why people need to use glasses...

A scope has a certain amount of adjustment, which will let you see the reticle clearly.

If it's because you need to see the reticle and say the side wheel, then there's a number of options... if you see pictures of Geof Hawes or Steve Privett, they've got flip down glasses in their caps. Maestro does a wheel magnifier as did Sportsmatch.

I wear glasses for work, have astigmatisms in both eyes, and are long sighted, but i've been able to work around wearing glasses. It's another 2 surfaces to get reflections off of, rain on, and look through... i'd suggest removing them entirely (unless you are past your scope's adjustment) and then sorting the wheel and turret issue another way.

10m lens carriers would be an expensive, but possibly good solution.

Even if you are past your scope's adjustment, you can have a lens put into a scope enhancer. The Bisley scope enhancer's strange bulge is there for exactly that reason.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Um... -3.75 or -4.50
    Well -3.75 as that's my dominant eye.

That would do it. :eek:

I've had no scope with enough adjustment range to get a clear image for my uncorrected vision.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. Quarters

Quarters New Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Contact lenses may not be the answer

I have a similar problem with my vari-focal lenses. They're not great and slide around in my eyes. I've recently switched to one long distance lens and one reading lens but my vision is still not as good as my glasses. I may return to glasses but find using the optical rubber enhancer useful with lenses. Hmmm :eek:o

4. CoolId

CoolId New Member

As you say there are lots of solutions at the scope end. My problem is I can't find the targets in the first place so I know what I'm aiming at without distance lenses ...

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Monacle? Could be quite the thing for the country gent :)

6. blackscale

blackscale Member

You lot are obviously predominantly FT, so target range is sorted with scope and target aquisition is normally sensibly placed (from videos i have watched...) or well numbered..

HFT is harder on the eyes imo, simply because, if like me you visually range a target first (my main source of info) it is so hard when you have to keep squinting to get any idea of range...(only getting harder as well)

I am starting to rely on other measures more and more but not as good as my MK1 eyeball used to be! :D:D

Worried about wearing glasses around the course as when i take them off my vision takes around 5 mins to sort itself out!..nightmare! :eek::D