Glasses & HFT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, Sep 17, 2010.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Taken from the BBS.... someone has asked the question, I thought I would try to get it from the horses mouth... Pete or Pete, where does the guy stand.

reading glasses and HFT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My near sight is getting worse and I can't see the close targets on a HFT course I have not tried looking through my reading glasses and shooting but would need to take them off for the longer shots ie over 13 yards,what's the rule on the wearing of glasses on a UKAhft course. anyone know?

bunny bopper
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to bunny bopper
    Send email to bunny bopper
    Visit bunny bopper's homepage!
    Find all posts by bunny bopper
    Add bunny bopper to Your Contacts

#2 Today, 07:45 AM
    w-v-m
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2006

Seen plenty take their glasses off, or putting back on for a shot.

Not altering the scope or gun is it.

Wayne

w-v-m
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to w-v-m
    Send email to w-v-m
    Find all posts by w-v-m
    Add w-v-m to Your Contacts

#3 Today, 08:29 AM
    Raygun
    Piston rod plonker Join Date: Nov 2001

Quote:
    Originally Posted by w-v-m
    Seen plenty take their glasses off, or putting back on for a shot.

Not altering the scope or gun is it.

Wayne

That's true but it is putting or removing an extra lens within the sight line
    Could it be classed as a "scope enhancer" ?

ATB
    Ray.

Raygun
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Raygun
    Send email to Raygun
    Find all posts by Raygun
    Add Raygun to Your Contacts

#5 Today, 10:13 AM
    georgewg
    Registered User Join Date: May 2010

I am new to HFT and have the same problem with wearing reading glasses but not wanting to shoot in them, my solution was to fit an old lense into a scope enhanser which IMO only brought the sight picture to what normal vision shooters were seeing, ie only sharpened the cross hair. If this is breaking the rules I will remove it but we optically challenged shooters will have a disadvantage so can anyone in the know give a ruling on this.
    Regards

georgewg
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to georgewg
    Send email to georgewg
    Find all posts by georgewg
    Add georgewg to Your Contacts

#6 Today, 01:06 PM
    Pixie
    Registered User Join Date: May 2003

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunny bopper
    My near sight is getting worse and I can't see the close targets on a HFT course I have not tried looking through my reading glasses and shooting but would need to take them off for the longer shots ie over 13 yards,what's the rule on the wearing of glasses on a UKAhft course. anyone know?

The rule is don't stand on them when removed

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

We are currently looking into it & hopefully should have an answer tomorrow.

If however we think they give a shooter an advantage we may end up having to limit their use as it could almost the same as fitting a close focus adapter to a scope & unfortunately if we don't limit their use we could soon have shooters turning up with glasses just to make the close targets clear.

3. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Not so much an adavantage, more a way of giving those with poor sight, the same chance as those with 20/20 vision. Perhaps have an eye-chart set up in the chrono tent. :D

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

IMO if you need glasses to see through a 10x40 Leupold you really should'nt be driving never mind pointing a gun in the general direction of a target, and yes I do wear them for driving:cool:

5. raygun

raygun Non member

The fact is that your adding or removing an extra lens.

Someone who normally wears glasses will set their scope up to give them the best optical performance with a set PA (exactly like everyone else). If you then remove your glasses you will get a different optical performance with your set PA. Usually with a short sighted person you will get a clearer view of the closer targets. A none wearer of glasses would not have this advantage.

Is it cheating. Yes, if it gives you an unfair advantage over other shooters.

ATB
    Ray.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Without wanting to stick my beak in... but will.

The only thing glasses can correct over the ocular adjustment already present on a scope, is an astigmatism, as far as i've read.

Dave Cooling would probably be able to ask his wife, who is an opthamologist.

7. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

How would you split the difference between those using the glasses to cheat and those using them through necessity? Should those that don't as a matter of course wear glasses be banned and those with a prescription be allowed? As a wearer of glasses I can see that removing and/or putting on glasses throughout a course could well make a difference (unfortunately not in my case) but would it be any difference to the advantage of the shooter having 20/20 vision? Having never had 20/20 vision I can't answer that question.
    And where do you draw the line at removing and replacing glasses? Quite often in bad/cold weather i have to take my glasses off just to be able to take a shot within the 2minutes due to condensation, rain, mud, etc...would it be seen that I've taken them off to gain a possible advantage? I'll be very interested to see how this one pans out:)

8. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

I think those who are ignorant to things such as astigmatisms are actually rather short sighted themselves ;)

It does however raise an interesting point for the UKAHFT officials as it's another thing thats open to abuse .

Here's one for you then , how are you going to tell if a shooter is looking through his glasses or just over them on certain shots ? You can't see them phisically removing them therefore can't justify either accusing him or docking him points .

good luck

Dave

9. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Club:
    Purleychase
    what about shooters with Bi-focals or Vari-focals,how do you know whitch part of the lens he's looking through? or have I got something wrong?

10. raygun

raygun Non member

If you were wearing glasses to counter astigmatism why would you want to remove them ? Surely it would make things worse.

Removing glasses (short sightedness) when taking short distance shots will improve your view of that target. That is in my view taking advantage that other shooters can't take and therefore is cheating.
    Not all none glasses wearing shooters have 20/20 vision but have to set up their scope to suit their eyes.

Why would wearers of glasses want to remove them for closer shots unless it gave them an advantage.

ATB
    Ray.

11. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I'll check a few things out tomorrow & then we will let everyone know our decision for UKAHFT shoots.

I know a few shooters who use reading glasses but don't use them to look through the scope, I will get them to try to shoot in them on the close targets tomorrow.

I will also try them myself to see if they make close shots clearer, my vision is better than 20/20 with my contacts in although I do suffer from uncorrected astigmatism.

The problem when these sort of things rear their heads is it snowballs with people trying to use it to their advantage and gain that extra edge.

12. Kingplinker

Pete are you specifically talking about reading glasses , general prescription or all glasses ?

many thanks

Dave

13. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It would seem from the comments on the BBS that some shooters have been removing their glasses for a while to get a different view of the target, this clearly is gaining an advantage over other shooters

14. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    will varifocals be ok ?

15. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    hang on , has someone with 20/20 vision got an unfair advantage ?

16. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I now ware varifocals but found that they're impossible to shoot in so I just take them off while shooting then put them back on when I've finished and just put up with things being slightly fuzzy when not looking through the scope.
    If I do look through the scope with them on the close range targets do come in a little clearer but in order to see the longer range stuff I would then have to alter my parallax to suit because they go out of focus.
    I don't see that it would give someone much of an advantage and how would you stop somebody looking through or over the lense in any given shot which is the same as putting them on and taking them off.

Dave

17. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Now this issue has been raised we will be looking at all glasses, if their wearers are adding & removing them to gain an advantage on some targets then it's not really within the "no other optical aids" rule

18. oldybutgoody

oldybutgoody Member

Club:
    Glevum
    Glasses

The first thing I do in the morning is put my glasses on and the last thing I do before getting into bed is take them off. I ware glasses to allow me to see as well as I can but I will never see like a person with 20/20. They do make shooting more difficult and trust me if I didnt need to wear them I wouldn't, without them I will soon get a headache and would find it very difficult to continue. I dont take them off to shoot and my scope is set up so that I can focus with them on, IMO I doubt very much if they give me an unfair advantage. Just a quick look at me scores will prove the point LOL.

19. Kingplinker

I suffer with neuropathic pain among other things and I know exactly where you are coming from but if people were taking there glasses off all the time on certain targets it would appear to be unfair , I have taken my glasses off before on a target but it's not something I would do regularly although I see ( pardon the pun ) how it could be interpreted .

Another thing is that you may get better eye relief / comfort on certain shots without specs getting in the way , then again I suppose it could be said that you had less chance of PX error too .

I recall winning a comp last year after my glasses broke and I couldn't wear them at all, I also recall it being a rather good score too - don't think it made much difference but I was sick as a dog after probably through eye strain.

atvb

Dave

20. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Must of been in Sussex cos you lot win bugger all else where:p:p:p:D:D:D