FX Wildcat Single shot loader

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve Bowers, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Looked at the FX wildcat some time ago but didn't get one due to it not having a single shot load facility.

Recently found a single shot loader by SMW Engineering so bought a gun and sent for a loader.

Had tried a friends FX and found it shot extremely well and I'm pleased to say the one I purchased from Redbecks was equally as good, a real pleasure to shoot.

The single shot "hinge Loader" arrived this week and to say I was a little disappointed would be an understatement !!

The overall appearance was very poor. In the paper work that came with the loader it said...." 3D printed items retain some of the surface features caused by the printing process so do not look like mass manufactured products"

As I work in precision engineering I'm use to cnc machined parts but have come across many 3D printed items of far better quality and was not prepared to fit the loader to my gun in the condition it was. I therefor spent 1 hour with wet/dry and oil to produce a more acceptable appearance.

If this had been the only issue I could be accused of been over fussy but unfortunately when I fitted the loader to my gun I found the loading rod would not go through the loader without using considerable force.

By disassembling the loader and checking the parts I found the hole for the pellet would let the rod through but not a pellet. A little polishing out of the hole fixed that.
    Then I found the pivot point of the loader was to low to allow the rod to slide into position and solved this by putting a shim under the two fixings (about 0.35 mm ) this solved the problem.

I now have a FX wildcat with a single shot loader that I'm happy with but as the loader cost me £50.90 I don't think I should have had to do so much remedial work.

Anyone thinking of purchasing one of these loaders be prepared to have to do the same amount of work.
    I sent an Email to SMW but as yet they have not replied, it would appear their after sales are of the same standard as their products!

Steve:mad:

2. cocksure

cocksure Weihrauch flasher mac....

£50?? For how many, ten! SMW single shot wildcat £5.06p...I think?

Next time you pay £50 for a s/s loader ask for one made from sterling silver!! :)

(He also has some 'Reject' hinged ones for £33...maybe you got one of them by mistake, I'm sure he's on here somewhere, ask him....or he was defo on the 'other' forum Steve. I hate poor quality product/service in the airgunning world so I hope they sort something for you. Let us know eh Steve? )

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  3. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    FX

As usual Tom you get your fingers in gear without switching your brain on.

There are single shot adaptors for around £5.00 but they are a very simple bit of plastic you take out put your pellet in and then push it back in. Some are fitted with a lanyard (a bit of string to you Tom )

The type I got incorporates a replacement cheek piece with a lug on the right hand side that allows the pellet holder to be pivoted out to load and also allows the 8 shot mag to fit in over the top of the holder. So you have the option of using either.

I do agree £50.90 is a bit much but they do appear to be the best method on the market and after my reworking of is it's now perfect for my needs.

Keep taking you pills Tom !!

Steve;)

4. cocksure

I'd run out of credit before I finished the whole post Steve......I'm completely on your side with this kind of thing, not so much the HW 44, that's horrible, but on this matter I'm with you!!! :)

You must have been answering me AS I was finishing the post, what's the chances eh?

Hey, you've gone from 'Mr Angry' all the way to 'Perfect for my needs'......all in one post! Thanks Cocksure!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. zpaulg

zpaulg New Member

I bought the cheaper version for about £6. It stays in the breech permanently amd you roll the pellet down it.

Sadly I have found that once you let go of the pellet on the slope you have no control over it.

This results in some good landings, which will feed and shoot, but also poor landings which misfeed or jam.

A pity really, the theory appeared sound.

Back looking!

6. cocksure

Just re-read your post, a couple of thoughts.

1: FX wildcats are tat....

2: You spend £1000 (the gun) on the strength of a £50 loader you've never seen.

3: The loader is no good, but you have no choice so you bodge it yourself, instead of sending it back?

4: FX wildcats are tat.....

5: looking forward to 'wildcat for sale' on the board at club...

7. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Fx

Only think a regret Tom is that I didn't get one in 0.22 calibre so I could whoop your *** in competitions

Steve

8. cocksure

No Steve, you should have got the other one with inter-changeable barrel, then after you'd failed in .22 you could easily swap back to .177 !! :)

9. LEE ST

LEE ST Member

Club:
    Pontefract ARC
    Mmmm interesting im sure that we can find you a 22 somewhere steve :D

10. cocksure

Let's do this!!!! Bring it big man!......:)

11. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hft

Hi Tom,
    Just been checking HFT scores for the last 3 years

2016 425,35 V 369.96
    2015 426.93 V 395.85
    and 2014 450.33 V 368.23

Now I know you chose to soon 0.22 but as you were laying down and I was shooting standing/kneeling I think that puts us about even !
    So how many times do I have to beat you ?

Best thing you can do is leave it a few more years till my eyesight starts to give out then you may beat me !

Steve :D

12. cocksure

2014..my very first year in comp. Recoiling..standard gun, no mods.
    2015 my very first year with .22, beat my one competitor..
    2016 second year...same, finding my feet.
    2017... Just started to put in 50+ with .22 power up by Tench..and lighter pellets.
    2018....who the feck is Steve Bowers? :) Didn't he say he would 'kick my artse' in .22?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017