FX Crown for bench rest

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Amac, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Just wondering if anybody has used the FX Crown in this role? Having been really impressed with the example I have just bought, I intend to try it.
    I would be interested if anybody out there has any experience using the gun "benched."
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    Interested in this as well as I've just been offered a swap for one of my airguns for a Crown, told the bloke I'd have a think about it.

3. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    I was interested in this rifle to. but not heard anything good about it yet. Most say there disappointed with it. One guy that I spoke to said his was very pellet fussy!!! It was the fac spec I saw advised and liked. With the dial for adjusting the reg pressure,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    I mates' friend has one in F.A.C which he uses for hunting and has said that it is probably the best rifles he has ever owned.

5. rafa

rafa New Member

Club:
    north wales shooting school
    i was told of a guy that is selling one to leave it well alone as he has had loads of problems with his

6. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    Cheers Rafa, I'll bear that in mind if I decide to go ahead.

7. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Having had 3 or 4 Crowns I will point out the following;

None of the sub 12 guns shot to my level of expectation out of the box. My current FAC Crown is brilliant but it took me a fair while to really understand the flexibility of the gun.

The gun design and build and aesthetics are wonderful, love the stock, it's great to shoot from the bench using a bipod with a rail fitted.

In order to keep the Crown UK legal it is factory set with reg pressure very low, the old reg doesn't work well this way, in line with the FX Impact I think the latest Crowns have the larger bodied reg, which works better at 12FPE levels.

The .22 Crown I had was sold to someone whe took it to AIRFECTIVE, the UK FX service people and they removed the AT and re-set up the gun with a higher reg pressure (circa 100 bar) and re-sealed everything, the gun now shoots brilliantly.

After having a sub 12 Impact a long while back I now have another one except with the new reg and the difference is night and day.

Personally I would go the following way, if you want a gun that shoots out of the box without any tinkering then buy a Redwolf. If you are happy to buy the gun and pay to get it properly tuned then buy the Crown.

paul.w likes this.
  8. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    Thanks for that Mark

9. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    Out of interest, what is the Regulator pressure set at as standard in sub 12 out of the box?

10. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

50-60 bar!

11. lrob

lrob Member

Club:
    Liverpool
    cheers

12. bobt

bobt New Member

Club:
    MidshiresMarksmen
    Did you ever get an answer ? I am sure I read somewhere that they are doing very well in the states but no idea on the sub 12ftlb version.

13. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I found that the Crown was good, but not as accurate out of the box as a Red Wolf. Ended up buying one of them and remain very impressed with it.
    Andy