Fwb P70 FT - Unusual Barrel ??

Discussion in 'FWB' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Mar 17, 2011.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Have received a Fwb P70FT action in 15J...

It has a serial nbr. ' DE 500489' on the side of barrel breech, as well as the steel sleeve ...which after careful observation, seems to be a one piece barrel and NOT a sleeve.

I thought this might be a barrel taken from a 10m, Running Target , or biathlon gun, BUT It has the proper groove rails at the top ??...it also has what seems like a subtle stamp mark at the bottom of the barrel breech, showing a ' T ' with a couple of ' V ' like arrows under it ...and a nbr. ' 08 ' Also, the barrel is so short - 51cm (20 Inches) from tip to tip - unusual ?

Attached Files:

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Nah, round hole in the middle and one end attached to a rifle action - You've definitely got a barrel there, they're quite important as I understand it!:D;):D Just shoot the bloomin thing!:)

3. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    I do shoot da bloomin things... only Its garden plinking...does that qualify as shooting ? :D

..then they go back on the wall ;)

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Only if your garden is at least 55yds long :p:p:p:D

5. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    It seems to me more likely that the barrel was cut by an expert.

6. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -

...actually it is :D :shot:

7. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -

Thanks for the perspective Andras..... looks bloody well done....by the way, on the standard barrel, it's black steel and covered by the chromed polished sleeve. Here, the tip of the barrel seems to have been finished off rather well....what in your opinion was done to make it look seamless :confused:

8. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Seen a few P70 with cut barels and none shoot well. How dose this one fair at 55yd?

9. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    if its been cut from breech end all good but if its been cut from choke end all bad it will not not group seen a gun same as jev which had the choke cut off it and it didnt group,it destored its accuracy and needed a new barrel:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. Jon

Jon Member

As i told him last night its been shockingly butchered.
    Chokes been cut off and faced 5 minute job.

Facing off looks rough as ar..oles and left a burr taking up the 0.6mm difference between barrel and bore of sleeve.
    Send it back it will cost you a fortune for a new barrel. Fen want £440 without sleeve.

Sorry but its a fact.

11. Dale

Dale Active Member

To be honest if you think that has been well faced off then I would hate to think what you would consider shoddy!

Unlike Jon, I am not an engineer, but even I would not leave a barrel in that state after shortening - not that I would shorten a quality pcp barrel from the muzzle end either!

Out of curiosity how well does it shoot?

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I had a barrel shortened on a P70 a few years ago - it was done by Nick Murphy.

He said the same as Chris - the work has to be done at the breech end and that is what takes the time.

The reg also needs extending to bring the power up (well it did on mine :) )

Dave.

13. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Had a few shots off at 10 yards this morning...hole on hole ..its raining now, so will try 25 yards to 50 yards when the weather clears....the action was taken off a bench rest stock, and gun acquired from Miroslav Varga - Olympic champion, and excellent reputation; so am pretty content Miroslav would'nt intentionally sell a 'crappy grouping' gun ? ...perhaps it is the 20+ yard plus shots that will tell a different story ?

Jon is right, as the choke/tip of barrel was cut...I rodded a pellet straight out from the breech as per his suggestion yesterday, and there was no choke, as the pellet popped out. Nice concentric groove marks though. Likewise, am no engineer, but I would have thought the finish of the barrel end is pretty decent :confused:

Worse case scenario, have also ordered a couple of Fwb barrel breech parts for a couple of other Fwb projects, so with a bit of experimentation in the summer, will mull on whether to fit a Steyr 55cm barrel, or failing that, a BSA barrel from Leupys. The action is in good condition, and the rest of the alutec parts will get the black anodising treatment. Call it a pet /hobby project and work in progress :D

14. Dale

Dale Active Member

No, I wouldn't call it a decent finish. That facing is rough.

Jon might correct me, but if I had done that I would have made progressivelly finer facing cuts to minimise the tool marks you can see in your picture, then polished the face smooth, finally cutting the crown chamfer. It would have ended up almost as smooth and bright as the outer surface of the shroud.

15. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    which one has the serial number missing on the barrel?

16. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    The finish on the end of the barrel wont have done his teeth any good. Is there any form of crown on it.:)at all.

17. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC

Not much of a test of a gun like this at 20yd. Should shoot 10mm groups easily at 55 from a rest. A choped barel wil open up considerably. One I had that was choped couldnt manage lesss than 25mm in a direct comparison.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  18. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

mine is shortened at the breech end, and when feed a decent diet, I can get regged one holers at 55 yards

The end of that one looks well rough though - look forward to your 55 yard test results

ATB

Phil