Fwb P70 FT - Barrel Mod Project

Discussion in 'FWB' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Nov 13, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    This might be a project in the spring...

Question: How easy /difficult is it to replace the existing barrel with steel combo sleeve, to a new barrel ?

Then, how 'secure' is the new barrel attachment to the action sleeve ?

Reason I ask is Walther's blank barrels here: http://gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=24911&cat=.177+(4.5mm)

at 605mm , is it advisable /ok to cut it down, to say 41cm (like Steyr length), and then have it machined for the Fwb fit, and carbon wrapped for stiffness ?

Am wondering about the polygon one.. :D

2. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    On the polygon barrel I can only tell that according the testing I did these don't work out for 12fpe.....
    They perform great (grouping) at say 18fpe and higher (285m/s) and soft skirt pellets (like JSB).
    Also the barrel needs to be very clean.
    On the other hand they seem to perform better than a normal barrel with non-toxic pellets (Dynamic SN1, PCP1) which we (unfortunately) need to start using next year in the official championship HFT/FT....

3. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Thanks for the tip on the polygon barrel...so I'll rule that out...

Regarding the non-lead pellet alternative...they are B-L-O-O-D-Y expensive ! :eek:

Ouch ! : http://www.uttings.co.uk/Category/575/pellets/?manuf=259

GBP15.49 + P&P 5.45 = GBP 20.94 for 500 pellets ! ? is a guaranteed SURE way of KILLING our hobby, if EVER, God forbid, there is a EEC legislation banning lead pellets :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Has anyone with JSB contacts queried or asked if they intend to launch non-lead pellets into the market ???

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  4. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    the reg pressure on the fwb is matched to the barrel length. If you cut the barrel you will have to fettle the reg to compensate for the power loss. As for replacing the barrel in the sleeve I think that's a major job although I havent attempted to do it. I have also thought of the walther barrel and carbon shroud idea, but thats all i've done.. thought about it :)
    I have one of the full length polygon barrels from the same company and its spot on. It likes to be kept clean though. Its currently residing on my steyr and one holes with mozy express'. Maybe .22 polygon barrels perform better than .177 at <12 ft/lbs?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. Jon

Jon Member

Its a right a...h..le of a job though the machining and fitting is easy.
    No problem free floating the standard barrel unsleeved, another pain.

Expensive on that site making a mint for a basic barrel nothing special.
    Steyrs are £150 region known to be good, P70FT from Fen £400 odd, elswewhere £200 delivered.
    Theres other alternatives to get good match barrels from Lothar fractionally dearer than Chambers.

Many have used so called polygon barrels for two decades, Sportsmatch fitted at one time!

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Why ?

Why would you want to change the barrel ??? HOLLY

7. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Front heavy !! I am rather fit, but It tires after a while...

Idea: Steyr barrel, with custom made solid billet shroud at same diameter as current Fwb steel one...the Steyr barrel is rather light , and wouldnt run like the existing the full length. Having an a solid alu sleeve so to speak, would allow the machining of identical rail grooves for scope mounting onto new Steyr/alu combo barrel. The final full length of the finished product could also be shorter ! ...maybe It might even be looking like a 'carbine' ?? :D:D

Conclusion: Handling dynamics and overall weight reduced ...but obviously at a cost. Regulator is then tweaked to legal limit, to make up for power loss due to 'shorter' new barrel...

When I next strip the Fwb , I will need to weigh the existing steel barrel with its attached black fitting. We all know it weighs a ton ! :eek: Versus the weight of a standalone Steyr barrel, one can then see/guess/calculate the approx weight saving (but not taking into account an alu solid billet sleeve) ...which in turn should affect handling more positively.

Alternatively, I will contacting Fwb in Germany, and try and get/buy 3 or 4 black barrel fitting parts....so that I can experiment with another idea such as fitting a Walther Lothar barrel (wrapped in alu or carbon - or both), and be able to carry out further 10-50m accuracy shots for a final set up. This would negate the hassle of having a gunsmith from removing the current steel barrel....and simply allow easy slotting into 3 or 4 original Fwb receiver, a bunch of barrels bought/made up, all at the different lengths & combos.

It should be an interesting project....will keep you posted :D

:cool:

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Ahh

Ahh weight .i can see where you are coming from , but there are only normally 4 standers and 4 kneelers on a course . so why would that tire you out ? mind you i don't get mine till next weekend so i may well find out ??? HOLLY

9. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Ah ! did you source a new one in Europe, or 2nd hander ?

Everything brilliant that is said is true...and all the negatives as well :( , but do share with us the pic of the gun when you get it..

:cool:

10. Jon

Jon Member

11. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Hi Jon,

What barrel did you install in that alu sleeve ?

12. Jon

Jon Member

Original and length balances nice.

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    It is allab aitch's old one . that was for sale on here . i did not take the stock cos i shoot bullpups so it would never have fitted me ??? HOLLY

14. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Just curious - what's the best way to get the barrel out of the "trager" barre holder? Also can you push the barrel out of the sleeve with heat or does it need to be turned down? I have one I'd like to put on a diet.

15. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Jon's your man, PM him, he's posted up thread.

16. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    P70

Hi Jon,
    The photo you posted of the P70,is that the rifle that you once owned that I had @ one time.
    Sure looks like it ,of the guns I have had this is the only one I wish I still had, found it just a tad long for me .Really good ,Lament the day I sold it.
    Regards Peter