FWB OR ANSCHUTZ

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Spray1Mark, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Hi all, I have been looking at the FWB 800 BASIC BENCHREST and the ANSCHUTZ START BENCHREST 9015, am I right presuming these are both low power & not 12FT as no one seems to know!

Plus any other reasons not to buy one for benchrest?

2. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Hi, I have the 9015 start benchrest, this was converted by Jon Harris to 12ftlbs. Its a super rifle, totally dead to shoot.

He made me a new air tube that's the same length as the barrel shroud with quickfill at the front. Its got enough air for over 150 shots, plus all the other little JH goodies. IMG_E4181.JPG

johnbam likes this.
  3. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

That looks great, thanks for the reply, can I ask what did the work cost and does Jon Harris have a website?

4. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Jon dosnt have a website, don't think he needs one as his work is in high demand, you can see a lot of his work on another web site -pimp-my-air-gun and there is a link to his photo stream too.

Geoff.

5. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

It looks like he is in Canada? I have someone here who could do the work so not a problem.

I just looked at the 9015 (and the one) at the Lord Roberts Bisley, the ONE Is the same action as the CLUB but is availible in 12FT off the shelf, but only with that horrible anatomical stock, I will ask if they could supply the mismatch off the shelf but I suspect it would be a no, unless I could find someone who would buy the stock.

The FWB on the other hand is availible in 12FT/LB off the shelf in the wooden stock and someone has one in stock here, do you rate the Anschutz as better than the FWB by any means?

Thanks for all your input!

6. gdavison

gdavison Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC
    Jon is in the UK (Wolverhampton I believe)

He does put some of his work here PictureTrail - Gallery

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Rare picture of Jon .

With his Best Gal by his side.......

IMG_3007.JPG

I've heard that he sleeps all night and he works all day

C.Eaton, gdavison and Waldo like this.
  8. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    And he wears Simon Cowell trousies :D

9. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

10. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    The 9015 action is the same, regardless of the stock.

Jon is in Wolverhampton..... somewhere.

11. skeet_200

skeet_200 New Member

I've tried to you a personal message regarding a possible alternative. If it hasn't made it to your inbox, could you please let me know.

12. gdavison

gdavison Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC
    I did not get a message :p

13. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Thanks yes just got it I have replied and thanks again!

14. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

"The 9015 action is the same, regardless of the stock"

Yes thanks I only just worked that out, thinking the "ONE" was a higher spec, of course it now appears to be the only model readily off the shelf in 12FT/LBS, I am not keen on the idea of a conversion as it looks to involve new parts etc.
    The 9015 seems to be a "system" but if you ask for certain combinations they (RUAG I presume) won't do it, I am beginning to think it's another white elephant after spending years and many 10's of thousands having custom centerfire's and rimfires built I wanted (and presumed) being an airgun it would be easy!
    If only you could get the 9015 CLUB off the shelf in 12FT, well priced with a nice ambi stock, adjustable cheekpiece etc. etc.
    I have seen an 800 basic HFT model which is ambi, 12FT and comes in at just under 2k, what does everyone think?

15. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

you can, it just depends who's shelf your looking at....

16. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Interesting! so you can order any variation? or do you know someone who has a 12FT 9015 on the shelf without that awful anatomical stock on it? perhaps PM me if you do please a I am going to look at some tomorrow in Solihull!

17. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    The 9015 in 12ftlbs from the factory isn't 12ftlbs, its under.... And being a factory rifle, everything is just put in from a parts bin with very little setting up, you may get a good one, you may not.

When Jon converts the rifle, he hand selects or re-makes every part required, and ensures its spot on for your requirements. I wanted the ultimate in shot count, and its setup to be very frugal with air, even so, I was surprised its running 775fps.
    So I have a custom 9015 in the stock I wanted, with a few custom bits on it, including quickfill, for much less than the price of the factory version.

PS, I believe if you buy a 9015 form official source, and it breaks, the importer will send it to Jon to fix anyway....

18. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Good to know, on another point do you think that a factory 6FT/LB gun would do for indoor 25 yard informal bechrest anyway as far as power goes?

Most of the10m bunch seem to shoot the R10 pellet, not sure if this would be stable at 25 with 6FT? I presume you have to move to a different pellet at 12FT because the R10 won't like the air delivery pressure/impulse?
    TBH I am most happy with around the 10.5 FT which is exactly where my AAHFT sits at, I don't need to worry so mouch about the affects of trajectory for fixed distance, more of is there enough elevation on my scope.

19. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    For the last 2 years I have been shooting a 6 pound match rifle in springer benchrest class (first a FWB300 and now an Original 75) and both seemed to work fine on typical JSB type dome head pellets. I did try flat heads at 25m, but they go off real quick after 10 meters.
    So 6 ftlbs will be fine for indoors with a dome head, but I did need to tilt the scope slightly to get it back somewhere near optical centre.

But why bother? it only cost slightly more for the fully converted and custom 9015 with custom tilt scope rail, as you save a load by selling on the diopters. And If I don't find a new benchrest club with my new job, I will simply drop my 9015 into a FT stock, and I have a full on FT rifle ready to go!

20. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    You can turn a 6 ft pound 9015 up to about 9/10 foot pound but adjusting reg pressure and hammer spring.
    I shot mine like that for a few months while I was deciding who I was going to get to do the conversion work for me.

First tip - 6 fpe is not good enough for 25 yard BR even indoors with round head pellets. If you're going to do that, buy an HFT500 instead.

Running at 9/10 by turning it up yourself isn't good enough either - if you want some good advice - buy a conversion rather than a factory turned up gun. The people in the UK who have been turning them up actually have more experience of turning them up than the factory do. The factory is still on catch-up, whereas the likes of Jon Harris, Tench and Nick Murphy have been doing this stuff for years.

C.Eaton and steve1000 like this.