Furnace Mill Club Shoot Sunday Dec 28th.

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by milek, Dec 28, 2014.

1. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    A glorious crisp & frosty start of the day for our final club shoot of the year. A massive thanks to all those who gave us their support today and we hope you all enjoyed the new course that Ed put a lot of effort into in order to have it ready for today. Thanks to everyone who donated a prize for the raffle; great to see everyone walk away with something. A huge thanks to Jane & Lois for getting up early over this festive period to get our breakfasts sorted.

Top shooter today was Mick Monaghan who managed to hold off Darrin Lynn & Tony Male respectively in the shoot-off. Some great shooting there guys. Next year we will have our own league and teams to put forward for the Nationals.

Happy New Year to you all and thanks again for supporting us.

OPEN.

Mik Monaghan. 56
    Darrin Lynn . 56
    Tony Male. 56
    Dave Freeman. 55
    Martin Thomasson . 55
    Simon Minney. 54
    Simon Howarth. 54
    Mark Tansley. 54
    Ian Howarth. 53
    Theresa Reed. 53
    Mick Boswell. 52
    Phil Tombs. 51
    Rob Hampton. 51
    Ry Tombs. 50
    Matt Hipkiss. 50
    Mark Thompson. 50
    Mark Jones 50
    Terry Hodgetts. 50
    Graham Cole. 49
    Dan Pearce. 47
    Michelle Parsons. 47
    Karl Guest. 47
    J P Bradley. 47
    J Bennett. 46
    Len Smith. 45
    Ash Bailey. 45
    Bill Birch. 45
    Geoff Jones. 44
    Dan Tombs. 43
    Chris Pritchard. 43
    Rob Lamerton 43
    Tan. 41
    K Scott. 38
    Mike Bull. 38
    Gary Anderson. 36
    John Hodgetts. 32

RECOILING

Ian Treadwell. 50
    Ryan Ashman. 49
    Ian Sheppard. 46
    Stew Powell. 44
    Dave Smith. 43
    Gavin Greenaway. 42

LADIES

Kathy Thompson. 47

JUNIOR

Elliott Reed. 51
    Rhyley Minney. 42 PB

2. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

First time shooting at furnace mill today had a great day met some great people. See you in new year rob hampton

3. hopalong

hopalong New Member

Club:
    kibworth
    thanks furnace mill great day nice scores as well

4. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Many thanks to all for another great day at Furnace Mill, good to see you all.

Many thanks to Rob Hampton for the company good shooting young 'un!

Good to see some new faces too.

Happy New Year to all.

5. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

Cheers ash

6. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Good course today rhyley enjoyed it and I found it interesting. bit off a pain on the way home with the van breaking a front spring coil. Had to be recovered on a low loader. :-(

7. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    well done the Furnace

Well done Ed & the Furnace Mill crew, a lot of effort went in to what was a great course, nice to have the whole ground to ourselves.

Well done Mik & Darrin in the shoot off & Rhyley on his PB.

JP, I hope you like the book :D :p & anyone want to buy some pellet lube :rolleyes:

Tony

8. mikmon

mikmon Member

Great course again Ed and great breakfast thanks Jane and Lois ! And I think someone was looking down on me in the shoot off Tone I do hate kneeling lol but I really enjoyed shooting the course ! A great turn out guys ps well done young rhyley on your PB

Mik

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  9. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

While we shooters really do appreciate the effort that the setters put into putting out a courses I cant help thinking that a few minutes more would have made this event a whole lot better and turned it into a fair competition. Many competitors mentioned having twigs across kills. Ours groups first 4 lanes all had twigs across the kill without a clear path through from within 2 feet either side of the peg, by the 4th lane I decided to fetch a marshal who decided it was ok to have to thread a shot through twigs and would not remove them. I was under the impression he thought it would be the same for all shooters and therefore fair. Take a look at the scores, 2 points covered the top 8 people, a twig made all the difference today as it would on any day, of course after someone had hit one and clipped it off the target then became quite different for the rest of the field so same for everyone certainly did not apply.
    To drive long distances in appalling conditions to have the outcome be a lottery decided on whether a shooter before you clipped a twig off or not is no fun. After completing the course I checked the our first few lanes again, some twigs had been hit and clipped off, the course did not remain the same for all. Obstacles that wont be removed by a pellet and remain the same for all are fine if they are within the rules.

I shall read future FM shoot reports with interest and maybe consider visiting this lovely venue again if the course quality makes the grade.

Thanks to Edd and Jane for being excellent hosts and to those who worked in the cold to put this event on. I do hope you see this as constructive input into how future comps can be made better.

I should also add that I didn't hit any twigs, this is not sour grapes. But it did make for an unfair course for everyone and while I am sure there will be much deserved praise for your efforts I also feel this should be said.

10. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

I hit a twig caused donut would of atleast made the plate

11. ianh1966

ianh1966 Member

I even took a shot 1st when Tench was up, took a twig out on the way to a plate which he 'killed' costing me leveling his score.

Really enjoyable day at FM, even after clearing 5 inch of frozen snow off my car at 6am to make it.
    Thanks to Ed and the team for putting on the shoot, hope to see you all again soon.

12. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Feedback is crucial to getting things right for those shooters who spend time & money supporting clubs especially in their early days. Anyone not prepared to take advice from one of the countries top shooters is foolish.

I had to contend with twigs on some targets but as they were some way ahead of the firing line I managed to avoid them (not that it helped). If the issue was twigs at the peg then we have a miscommunication and the marshal should have made the chief marshal aware of this.

Of the top 25 scorers, the donuts (that twigs can cause) totalled 4 from 750 shots. Three of those were on that very difficult stander (9). Two of those came at almost the end of the shoot and midway respectively for two of those shooters. If anyone can recall if this was a particular twig problem we would really be interested in knowing (especially you Porky)

To me this feedback has increased my resolve to ensure any course I help set out represents a fair one for all shooters and everyone goes home happy. So your feedback Simon is invaluable and I'm sure appreciated by the entire team at FM.

13. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

No offence meant milek its all fun my donut was on tge stander peg 9 i clipped a twig im sure ash bailey could confirm this not bothered tho bud had a great day one of the best well kept courses ive shot. Ive emailed darrin but anyone know what shroud he has on hes ev2 wouldnt mind one.

14. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    No offence taken Rob and as I say, I am keen to know if we missed something here. Being a shortarse I might not have had the problem many others were likely to have seen. Darrin's shroud is one he made himself; I nearly had one for my EV2 a few weeks ago. PM him.

15. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

Ive emailed him thru hes website. I really liked it ill wait for hes reply cheers milek

16. jambo1984

jambo1984 New Member

My doughnut was from a twig but I thought it made it that tad harder I could of knocked it down if I was a better shot...as for that stander the branch didn't cover the kill zone if anything it made the plate size smaller no bother..

17. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    It was a bit of a problem that simon has 'hinted' at, when I got to my sixth target I did call for the chief Marshall because there wasn't a twig in front of the kill, (not sure if someone had cleared one away?) :D

18. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Rob and I both had encounters with twigs but we both laughed it off with a sh1t happens and got on with it. All part of the fun!

Until my skills improve greatly I'll not be too worried about the odd stick!

That being said I know Mr Boswell well enough to know he'll take the observations on board and continue to improve this great location.

PS... anyone got any gun oil for sale? :p

19. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

My point exactly, twigs that get hit and clipped off then make that target different for the people following. Objects used to make the course more difficult should be pellet resistant so they remain there for every shooter.
    The unsupported stander was more difficult for taller people who had to crouch to shoot under the branches.

I visited the zero range too, to the right of the shed the firing line was at an acute angle from the shed to the corner of the fence, I could see it was an easy solution to place it like this but the target board marked distances could not have been correct along all of the firing line so of no use at all to check poi elevation.

I also noticed at least one shooter with a length of wool tied to the front of their rifle which is not allowed in HFT. maybe this was noticed by the Marshals? but it was towards the end of the comp when I noticed it. If not and you want a pic of the competitor so you know who to have a word with let me know.

People travel a long way to shoot, fuel food and entry fee can add up to a substantial amount, it is not just £7, it could be a £50 day out so the details do matter!

Hints from my observations over :D Furnace Mill is a super venue but a young club on the competition circuit, I do hope you can quickly gain the experience to mature into a host of shoots to the standard competitors desire for regional and national series comps.

20. Porkybella

Porkybella Member

The length of wool was on my rifle tench tbh i bought the ev2 second week in december was the first time i shot the ev2 and it came on the rifle. There was no wind really to use it anyway i will remove now for further shoots if it was a problem they you should of said i would not take offence as im a newbie really havent really shot for 12 months. One thing i dont do is cheat