FTP900 - What pellets you using?

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by NeilM, May 20, 2015.

1. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I have now tried a few different batches of Air Arms field pellets and also some express, and so far my FTP really gets on well with Air Arms field, but only die10.

Now this is a bit of an issue, as although many suppliers of JSB pellets have batch numbers listed, no one takes any notice of AA die numbers, so finding more tins is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. It therefore looks like I am going to have to start again, using JSB's.

Before I spend any more money on pellets I don't want, I thought I'd find out what everyone else is using, and if there is a common batch or three that seem to work, I can save myself a lot of time and money.

2. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Most of the ft boys seem to prefer express, or so it seems , ive done a fair amount of batch testing now and generally the deeper skirt longer pellets work for me , ive had pellets range from 750 to 800 with no noticable weight difference
    I havent really tried express but contrary to a lot of peoples comments the quicker ones group better definately, for me anyway, I think youve got to do it for yourself mate, then buy loads ,

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Ahhh, just the chap I was hoping to hear from.:D

I've only got a couple of tins of express, but at 810 fps they definitely don't group as well as fields doing 785fps, even in breezy conditions.... but only die10.

I don't mind doing some batch testing, it's just that I'd really prefer not to buy eleven tins of pellets if I can avoid it.

4. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    Only done my testing bench rested indoors so I cant comment on wind, however dont neglect 4.51, s AND try lubing , that halved my groups
    I, ve bought a sleeve a month to do the testing on the premise that if I get a good batch I will have at least got 5000, you can sell the others that dont work on at a negligable loss to others at meets etc that might be spot on in theres

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Someone else suggested 4.51's, so I've bought a few, and my FTP definitely prefers lubed pellets. It is something I have done for years, but I thought I'd try without, just to check, it didn't take more than a few pellets to see the effect, so back to lubed I went.

Good plan on buying in bulk and selling on what doesn't work, not thought of it that way, thanks.

6. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Pellets

Wasps ..... Mega

7. what barn door

what barn door Active Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    In my limited trials I have ruled out all of the jsb's, AA ft at 4.51 seem best in mine. However I have a couple of questions please,

Where can I buy pellets from, by batch or die number?

Which lubes seem to work, I am trying napier but can't notice any difference?

Thanks,

WBD

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I wouldn't compare one batch of pellets with another. There's too much variation.

The long and the short of it is, if you want to get into batches there's only one way... get as many as you can from a source that has loads of them each, test, and buy lots of the best.

There's been some holy batches out there, die 30, 34... but normally once word goes around that buying a £6 tin of pellets is the way to win the worlds, everyone buys them up. That's why some batches are commanding £10-15 a tin, even though you can buy plenty of different batches to test yourself for £4.50 a tin.

You'll either pay in time or money ;) And if you're paying in money, then the product is only as good as the seller.

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    JSB's are pretty easy to buy by batch / die, people like intershoot even list them on their web site.

Getting Air Arms by die number is a lot more difficult and I have e-mails out all over the place at present.... without any success so far.

Lube, I think Napier is as good as anything, I use FP10, but I know people use all sorts of different lubes. My FTP definitely does not like pellets straight from the tin.

10. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    jsb Die 34 were pants in mine , wrt fp 10 does that dry out or remain wet ?

11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    It stays wet, although I do have some JSB's I treated about five years ago, and they seem to have dried out a bit. :D

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  12. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    I have used "Whiscombe Honey" Google it! - cant say it made a great deal of difference across my selection of guns but thought I would throw it in - That said don't have an FTP now - so may not be relevant to your thread. FYI Its a Mix of Hoppes gun oil and STP engine treatment!

kr

13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Sounds like an 'interesting' mix John.

i have heard of lots of others, mostly containing gun oils and lubes of various sorts, including the three drops of this to one drop of that type concoctions.

I'm still getting to grips with my FTP, SWEFTA South Dorset shoot will see how (un)successful I have been so far.

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I've got some Mozzies from 2005.. they're still moist in the tin.

15. nurek

nurek Member

Club:
    Wendover ARC
    I also use Whiscombe honey, but that's only suitable for springers as far as I know, due to the higher initial pressure a pellet experiences when shot through a springer and therefore higher friction, it basically stops the barrel fouling up with lead...

16. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Can you be tempted with pound notes for them.:)

17. what barn door

what barn door Active Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    Thank you for the info, crikey just when I thought I was getting somewhere haha.

WBD

18. jedclampit

jedclampit Dazed Member

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    Don't feel bad. I only picked my FTP up on Monday ...... I've not even started.:eek:o

19. kong

kong Member

Club:
    FURNACE MILL HFT AND NOMADS
    From spring to bling :D

20. jedclampit

jedclampit Dazed Member

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    Yeah. After Rob showed me how it was done at the recoiling champs, I got this great urge to knock some targets over!