FTP900 Setup

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by banditrob12, Nov 30, 2015.

1. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Had my FTP900 for nearly 2 years, I am going to give it a service, complete strip down, clean up, re-lube, new reg.

Just been reading a few posts lately about people setting them up with AT removed, port fully open and adjusted to 11.5 ft/lb on hammer spring.

Is anybody using this sort of set up? If so does the rifle shoot better? More consistent?

I always thought my consistency was a little high even from new, round about 16-18 fps through the charge

I wouldn't mind trying to improve these figures as a recently purchased Anschutz 8002 is out shooting it, bench rest shooting.

Any suggestions/help from anyone who has actually done this mod would be appreciated

Cheers

Rob

2. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Reg

The standard Reg is not that easy to service , once you remove the piston and replace the seals that's the easy part , then you have to face the seat off but its recessed down a hole so you need to try and machine the seat and then hope you get the Reg pressure correct first time or if you need to adjust it then you could run in to problems.
    Regards Dave

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Don't do it! Sell it and buy another Anni! :D

4. kong

kong Member

Club:
    FURNACE MILL HFT AND NOMADS
    Dave would you think it better to have an aftermarket reg fitted if so which one would you say

5. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    When you do your chrono or shot string test , is that across one shot string or generally , mine tends to be quite
    temperature dependant , I leave it in the garage now and it dont wander too much , still , as I speak its having a service as its doing about 20 fps different , mustve put at least another 15000 rounds through it since the last one, still groups good though

6. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Reg

Mine has been done buy a friend who i can't name as he is snowed under with work and he will kill me but he transformed mine into a fantastic gun , I believe there is others dabbling in conversions but don't know who.
    Regards Dave

7. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Isp

I know Shaun has done at least 1 reg for an ftp and I think Mr Ostler will have done one shortly.

8. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Dave

Not servicing the reg going to be fitting a brand new one which is on order. Hows yours set up? port screws fully open? and set up on hammer spring?

Vinny

Always thought this rifles had high fps spread, brand new it was doing 18 fps, I have now put over 25,000 shots through it.

Every few months I have stuck the bluechron on and shot it through a charge and its always been around 16-18 fps spread. I have fitted an FTP900 reg to one of my Pro Targets and this always shoots under 10 fps spread, set up port fully opened and 11.5 ft/lb on hammer spring. Hoping when I service my FTP I will get the same sort of spread.

Cheers guys for your input

Rob

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  9. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Set up

My new Reg is set up at 86 bar and I get 132 shots from 200 bar with no more than 6FPS the power is spot on I run it at 780 FPS it won't go any higher but it's mega over the chrono , the standard Reg was crap I had a 50fps power curve so the master stripped it and rebuilt the standard Reg with new internals his own design it shoots fantastic , there is a few boys shot mine and thought the transformation was lush , if you have fitted a FTP Reg to your pro target do you want to sell your old Reg ?
    Regards Dave

10. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Sorry Dave I have a couple of Pro Target regs and an EV2 one but they are not for sale I am saving them for future projects

If you need any measurements from them etc just PM me

11. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    Rob , its been a while , any findings on how your set up has gone , did you try opening both xfer ports and just adjusting the spring, i would be intetested in comments on how it handles , would that have a noticable effect on lock time , recoil etc
    I have actually managed to free my export port now(the normal fine adjust was kindly glued in after an issue )so at least I dont have to take it out the stock to adjust .
    I need to get to the bottom of why it kick much more than my 500 !

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  12. kong

kong Member

Club:
    When you say temperature dependant what fps diference where you finding

13. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    If I keep my unregged 500 and regged 900 under the bed all snug they will be at least 20 fps quicker than being left in the garage overnight , since I have taken Tenchs advice on leaving in a comparable location to what your shooting in I have never had any unpleasant surprises,
    I always heard that steyrs were a bit dodgy in the warm but I weren't aware that it may cover a wider spectrum of guns .
    So if I was out plinking all day in the cold then set my 900 up at 780 as per norm , if it stayed under the bed and came out to play at a comp it was too damn close or over , coupled with the chrono issues at some " important shoots " last year , it always made me adjust a bit too low for my liking, I got round this by having two different sized pellets , my 451's were 20fps quicker than my 452's
    so I obviously set up for 451's and if it was a bit high at a comp went for the 452,s to compensate

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  14. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I had some consistency issues with the ftp ,I then had it looked at ,I didn't get to find out what the problem was but when it came back he told me he had set it up to shoot just over 800fps and then slow it down on the o/s adjuster screw ,its been good since then , it doesn't kick any more than it already did .
    seemed pretty consistant not done a full shot string though

15. kong

kong Member

Club:
    Cheers Vinny after reading your post i tried mine was put in the spare bedroom over night put chrono on it was reading 794 so i put it in my workshop for about an hour were there is no heat put it back over the chrono the reading was then 777 778 having just had a new reg i thought it was playing up but must be the same on all ftp's even if you have an aftermarket reg .
    atb

16. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    If you do leave it in the garage at least it should be constant throughout your comp , unless the weather REALLY gets warm for the duration !

17. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    With the FTP you're far better setting up the hammer spring to do the job and no more, i.e. bias towards out than in. Then set up the power on the export (left-hand as you hold the rifle) port.

If you start mucking around with the hammer spring adjustment the rifle will take too long to really settle between adjustments, plus you really don't want to start stressing the sears by winding the hammer in.

Adjusting on the export port is quick and precise; quarter of a turn is about 25fps so it's easy to set up for varying temperatures.

18. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    Col, I had a feeling you may surface, that's were I'm coming from , wind them out and set up on spring with pretty much as less tension as possible, then if you do get a bit of temp fluctuation at a comp a quick fiddle with the transfer port ,
    I had WT give it a service and he opted for setting it 3 turns in , I think I might back it out as much as I can and have a check
    I just was interested to see if anyone had done a shot string to see if its any more stable over the chrono like this ,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  19. kong

kong Member

Club:
    So in my case with the fps at 777 and the export right out if it did go up turn it down on the export then if it went down turn it up on the hammer

20. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Vinny

Got the anti tamper off the FTP, both transfer port screws backed off, hammer cleaned and polished, got everything de-greased cleaned re-lubed and assembled. All ready to be set up on hammer spring, got new reg and all other parts, Air Arms cocked up and send wrong part instead of a new firing valve, hopefully right part will be here at end of the week so I can set it up over the weekend if not it will be next week.

Once I have finished I will let you know how it shoots.

My HFT500 is very dead to shoot also, have you tried HFT Air Stripper on your FTP?

Rob