FTP900 reg v HFT500 sweet spot .

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Chris58b, May 13, 2015.

1. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

Just wondering if anyone has done any side by side accuracy testing of the FTP900 and the HFT500. I ask, as a few members at our range bought FTP900's then they all eventually sold them in favour of the HFT500 claiming the sweet spot accuracy was better than the FTP900. (They are used for 30yd benchrest indoor).
    Is this outcome same as what others are finding?

2. cliveo

cliveo Member

Club:
    misfits
    think your comparing apples and pears, the ftp900 is regulated and shoots flat from a full charge to when it drops off the reg about 100 bar, the hft500 is unregged and will have a particular sweet spot:)

3. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    yes I have , its dependant on your barrel and pellet combo on both , once you've got that sorted I don't think you will find much difference worth worrying about , tbh its probably down to what fits you best , the trigger is MUCH better on the ftp and that adds a whole lot of difference to the accuracy in my book
    That's good news as it happens , gonna try a px for an FTP with my 500!

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

That's what I wanted to hear, I like the ftp900 fit and visuals better and a good trigger is a must for me. It was just that our benchrest comps require 30 shots through 30 4.6 mm bull's .The top shots at the club swapped the ftp900s for the hft500s saying they were more accurate and some of the older ones also commented on the ftp weight which doesn't bother me. I so want to be convinced that the Ftp is the way to go but the evidence at the club says otherwise.

5. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

Hi, yeah i know they're different beasts , but when they're both at their most accurate, I need to know which is the most accurate for 30-40 shots . FTP reg or HFT sweet spot? :)

6. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    Personally I have got better bench rest scores with my HFT500 than I got with either an LG110 Steyr or an FTP900

Don't ask me why it is but my scores cannot lie. BTW our internal bench rest comp is 50 shots at 25yds, can't remember the ring size.

7. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

That is what 5 members at our range said and swapped from ftp900's to hft500's. I only have slight doubts as I wasn't around when they were testing them both so couldn't see the exact conditions ie was best pellets found for both guns, was the FTP tried with a floating barrel etc.
    but all that said, including yourself that's six people who shoot benchrest saying that the hft500 is more accurate. I'm thinking I should get a hft500 and with the money saved get a custom fitted target stock with the pistol grip and Palm shelf I like ( best of both worlds then:)

8. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    I suppose that being a basically lazy git when it comes to long tests, I get the gun out of the box, feed it with JSB Exacts (mainly 452's) till it has bedded in then shoot a practice card, I tried floated and non floated barrel on the Steyr but did not try floating the FTP, I just never got as comfortable with the FTP stock as I do with the HFT. If I was you I would save the money on the target stock until you see how you get on with the out of the box one. The new Air Arms hamster is pretty useful as well as it has a nice flat base.

9. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

Yeah, that's what i'll be doing. As the ones I've tried have been adjusted for others and didn't feel comfortable, so once I get my own and adjust it to my liking it might be fine as it is. Only if I can't get on with the standard one will I get a custom stock. ( prob a gary cane)

Niloc, how do you find the hft500 trigger compared to the ftp900 ?

10. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I don't know much about Bench Rest, but I've read that the TM1000 is doing extremely well at bench rest comps in the US. Don't know how true that is, but perhaps something you might want to look into?

11. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Cant comment on the ftp900'...but ive had my hft500 about 7 months...really nice action, trigger is now very sweet ( has been sorted ).. Ive now fitted mine into a gary cane ft stock and its transformed the rifle...starting to see good results , as i now use mine for ft duties

12. OUTCAST

OUTCAST Member

I have a FTP900 that shoots sub 8mm groups at 54yds bench set up. :shot:
    it gives 100 shots with in 7 ftps //786 about the 11.6 ftlb mark.
    Yes it is a heavy gun but if you just bench shoot it sits like a rock .
    The trigger is as good as any out there and can be adjusted to any thing you like jest move it one step at a time. :shot:

13. Mylo

Mylo New Member

Club:
    Tawd vale
    My ftp900 shoots like a dream on the bench consistent scores always,also shoots the same off the bench,trouble is I don't

14. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

Do you have a pic of the hft500 in the gary cane stock, and could you pm me the cost to get it done
    What was up with the trigger before you sorted it?
    Regards,

15. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Trigger had a £70 trigger tune when i bought it, originally it was very heavy, i also couldn't get on with the button, so fitted a blade...pics below

Attached Files:

16. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Why would you want a Gary Cane custom stock if it's for 30yrd bench rest??

17. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    I did wonder the same thing Conor, ..

18. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

I prefer a vertical target pistol grip and also wanted a palm shelf. I'd get a bench rest plate to sort the forend . The gun won't exclusivley be used for benchrest but it will be its main function. True benchrest stocks can't be used for anything else. I'm still hoping that once the standard stock has been properly adjusted to me I be happy with it how it is. :)

19. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

Cheers for the pic lee. Looks nice.

20. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    And one fro. Tother side...

Attached Files: