FTP900 Good and the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by madplinker, Jun 17, 2014.

1. madplinker

madplinker Member

Hi

I am interested if their is still problems with these rifles seems that every second one that has been sold has a problem. My friend has had one after owning it for four weeks and testing it with a couple of scopes the rifle had to be sent back for zero shift this is a recent rifle. Also another one had a few problems going back to air arms on numerous times but owner is happy with rifle now.
    There has been lucky people who have had no problems with there rifle most of these people seem to belong to the airgun press or in the England team at HFT or FT. Air arms would've tested these rifles very well before these people would've received their rifle. So interested to see what the normal shooters experiences have been so far.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think that's an assumption that may not be correct. I know of one team member who's rifle went for service/fix and it went straight back again because it wasn't right on return.

I don't think that's any different than any other manufacturer though. Every make I know that's shot by top shooters I know of at least one example first hand that's had a problem. Sponsored shooter or not.

3. fatty

fatty Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Had one, got it home and scoped up that evening. 3 shots through it and the firing valve stuck. Back to the shop. They replaced the next day with a different one. Shot a few through it in the shop all fine. Get it home, 20 shots through it, still all fine. Stick it on the bottle for a fill and the second it went past 150 bar the pressure gauge on the ftp's cylinder started to leak. Back to the shop. Gun sent back to AA. 2 weeks with them and a lot of chasing from me and get a working rifle at last. It is amazing but not a sight of an apology from AA or anything to sweeten the deal, not even a tin of pellets. £1400, 300 miles of fuel and a lot of hair down.

4. fatty

fatty Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    The shop was great but a little disappointed with AA

5. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

Had 3 got my money back, one zero shifted and leaked from the firing valve, never got to shoot no2 as it was damaged when it arrived and no3 fired 5 shots before leaking from the firing valve. Air arms took 8 weeks to try and get me a working gun, gave up got my money back, it's just a bad EV in fancy clothes.

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I think it's to early to dismiss the FTP. It's a new rifle, there will be teething problems, as there is with any new rifle, plus I don't think AA were ready for the sheer amount of orders for the FTP from day 1, a definite over-sight from them, especially since they pretty much did the same with the EV.
    If you have a good one they work very, very well :)
    I know AA are very busy trying to make all the orders, but it takes more time than you think to build an FTP ;)

7. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

So perhaps AA should slow down a bit and get them right, rather than rushing a load of unreliable rifles out the door?

8. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Catch 22 though, not everyone is ready to wait, but yes, they should work out of the box I agree.
    I personally wouldn't have one for a little while, once most of the little teething issues have been sorted I would, but then I prob would have to wait till 2015 for a left hand version .

9. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Doubting Thomas....

The more I read about the FTP900, the more I regret the fact that I've had one on order since November 2013. :eek:o

Should have got a TM1000!

10. AND8D

AND8D Doh!

Club:
    Misfits, zone
    Had mine for nearly a week and shot it in 3 comps and plinked with it a few evenings and its very good.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  11. steviep

steviep Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Had mine about 6 weeks,it's spot on very accurate,nicely finished very happy with it.:)

12. raygun

raygun Non member

When are airgunners going to stop being treated as idiots by the manufacturers. The above typifies the way people are treated.

If the FTP900 had been a car it would now be sunk without trace. The FTP900 is not a cheap rifle but the great variation in the quality of the product from Air Arms is dire.

It's not rocket science to understand that the majority of people buying the FTP900 can actually shoot. It's also not hard to understand that these people will want a rifle that performs as claimed for their money.

Just be thankful that AA don't make aircraft :D

ATB
    Ray.

13. littlelady

littlelady New Member

Club:
    SARC
    Ftp900

Hi

I have had the FTP900 since December 2013, only went back once had a problem with probe but was fixed and return to me very quickly. The only other problem was with the butt hook which was sent to me for replacement recently. The gun is performing great and I love shooting with it.

14. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I have had mine for 6 months and it has been faultless. it has had 7000 shots through it so far and I am very happy.

The problem with leaking valve has now been fixed by AA, (It was little bits of rubber that were coming of the seals from the filler probe getting caught in the filler valve)

There has never been a gun that is brand new that has not had a few issues, but the advantage of having a FTP is AA will make sure that any problem are fixed.

Gary

15. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    To be honest Ray it's not only AA that have this attitude to buyers! I won't go back into the problems I've had with my Steyr (Conor might get upset lol) but it took 18 months to sort out and no help or apologies where had from either Steyr or HP who where both aware of the problems I was having? Oh and the Steyr was the best part of £1900 not £1400 like the FTP :shot:

16. raygun

raygun Non member

The only other time I've heard of the number of rifles that had to be returned for work was when the EV2 came out. Maybe the R10 MK1 as well.

It's fine for people to post that they have not had a problem with their rifle, that means diddly squat, it's the numbers of people who have had problems that count. I understand that you can get the odd "problem" rifle from any manufacturer and that's very unfortunate if it's you.

This rifle was launched to a fanfare from the Rags. Didn't AA expect to sell any ? There should have been sufficient stock to at least meet the pre-orders but to have people who have ordered to wait month after month is disgraceful. That is just the start of the problem. Making them wait and then supplying sub standard rifles just adds insult to injury.

The airgun industry has managed, unaided, to decimate itself. No-one needs to ask why.

ATB
    Ray.

17. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Quote:
    There has never been a gun that is brand new that has not had a few issues, but the advantage of having a FTP is AA will make sure that any problem are fixed.

Gary

- I must be lucky then, as my Steyr has had nothing at all go wrong with it and I got that from new!
    :)

18. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

It's not just the FTP that is coming out of air arms with problems these days, at least 1 in 4 s400's we are seeing at the club is having to go back with leaks. One was at air arms for 5 of the 6 weeks that he owned it. He got so fed up with coming back leaking he sold it at a great loss, will someone give them a mk3 pro target to remind them that they used to be able to make guns that work. If you ring them you just get a load of attitude and to be told that Do you know how many people want this gun!

19. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    They never fixed the ev2 in 10 years. I don't think they will ever fix the ftp900.

Its the same issues over and over. I'd like to know what try actually tried to change with the ev2 to fix them. I suspect not a lot.

Its a shame, they make good guns they just lack that reliability.

20. fatty

fatty Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    And another one goes down. Thats 3 now. POI shift and fps variation.