Ftp900 barrel float

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by greybeard, Jan 7, 2015.

1. greybeard

greybeard New Member

Club:
    redfearns ftc
    hi guy's.
    can someone tell me how the ''floating option'' is done as stated by air arms.
    regards
    T

2. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I've just done mine, although I didn't know AA offered it as an option.
    Dead easy:

Remove action from stock.
    Remove air stripper and forward part of shroud.
    Remove A frame/Figure 8 barrel support. It's two pins and one C/S bolt into an aluminium rail that runs under the action, just tap the pins out with a drift.
    Remove rearward part of shroud along with 'O' rings.

Refit air stripper and refit into stock. Re zero and Presto! Floated ;) You'll lose the spirit level bar

Some folk remove the aluminium rail that links the action block to the barrel support figure 8. I haven't yet.

3. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Have you had chance to see if it makes any difference?

I ask as I bought an FTP just before Christmas but only had chance to shoot for the first time last Sunday and I was very impressed by the accuracy straight out of the box as it were.
    My only criticism so far is that the hamster extensions should be included as part of the kit, not offered as an option.

4. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Yeah , loads of weight gone especially if you get rid of the beast of a stripper and put a rowan mpr one on , I cut the rowan one down to the same diameter as a carbon shroud and it is much better for hft anyway ,it also seems to have extended the flat trajectory a fair few yards for some reason

5. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Mine came to me as a used gun, The barrel was in a carbon one piece shroud which was floated through a modified figure 8 piece, so nothing was touching except the shroud/barrel contact.

I can't say if there's an improvement over the standard arrangement. I had some grouping issues a couple of weeks ago but it's hard to say what caused them as I just did everything I could think of to fix it, all at once :eek:. That included a thorough barrel clean, which I'm now thinking was the original issue.

BUT, if you look at the arrangement where the action block is pinned to a bar, which is pinned to a barrel support, which has an 'O' ring in it through which the barrel is held, something has surely got to move at sometime.

My gun now shoots raggedy groups at 55 yards, but then again, so do many standard form FTPs

Apologies for not being much help. Best advice I can offer from my limited knowledge of the FTP is, keep the barrel spotless.

:)

6. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Have you not suffered muzzle flip or harmonics creeping in Vinny? Chap I bought my gun from tried loads of different strippers and none of them match grouping with the standard.

Thinking at my club last week was that the beast might have been made that heavy to dampen harmonics. But hey, if the Rowan one works, I'm getting one! :)

I did try it without anything on the end of the barrel, looked like a shotgun pattern at 50 yards!!!!!

7. Jezza

Jezza Member

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Barry, how do you remove the stripper/muzzle break mate?
    Just wondering for future reference if i ever have to remove it.

As yet i have no issues at all with my FTP, very accurate and holds zero well, just hope this continues when the weather warms up and the gun contracts and expands more in the heat.

Ian

8. greybeard

greybeard New Member

Club:
    redfearns ftc
    thanks for the chat guy's. i was just just wondering what air arms way is.

9. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Just a grub screw in top the Ian, loosen it enough to clear the dimple in the barrel and slide the whole thing off

10. Jezza

Jezza Member

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Cheers Barry :)

Ian

11. Mylo

Mylo New Member

Club:
    Tawd vale
    FTP barrel

Thinking of losing some weight off my ftp especially now I've added a rowan ajustable hamster.
    Smooth shooting are going to help me with a shroud and bits to free float.as I can't get my rifle to them to measure up or find any measurements on line can anyone help me with barrel lenth and any other dimensions I may need to free float.
    Thanks

12. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Can't help with any measurements except barrel diameter which is 14mm. Measuring length is going to depend on how you decide to fix the shroud and where the air stripper (assuming you're replacing yours) ends up sitting.

I've pm'd you

I had a quick look at Smooth Shooting web site, they look really expensive.

13. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Barry, as I'm back at Iceni Sunday I'd like to have a look at your rifle if that's ok as I didn't get chance last shoot.
    Regarding the barrel diameter, is it exactly 14mm and constant as I was looking at this tubing which has an inside dimension of 14mm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-X-14...d=100338&rk=7&rkt=29&mehot=ag&sd=121453168568

Actually this might be better as it has an ID of 15mm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-17MM...852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2211cd7c

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  14. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Hi Colin.

Apologies, I've only just seen this. Did you have a proper look yesterday? I can't for the life of me remember :eek:o

The way mine has been done negates the shroud tube touching the barrel at all. UK Neil uses 18mm external diameter which is a snug fit into both the action block rebate and the rebate which Neil creates in the end of his stripper.The 16mm internal diameter obviously clears the barrel along it's length.

The shroud ends up held securely by it's external fitment at both ends.

I'm at Kent next Sunday. Have a proper look there. Apologies again for not seeing this sooner and if you didn't get a proper look yesterday.

Barry

PS. Just had a look at that e Bay 15mm ID tube. If you're going to have it clearing the barrel, i.e. not a 'tight' fit. Go for the 16mm Internal/18mm external. That will slip into the breech block for a nice finish.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015