Ftp 900

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Grenade, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Grenade

Grenade New Member

Hi Guys.

I looking at purchasing an AA FTP 900. What are the pros and cons of this target rifle. I asked this same question in the AAOC forum and it was suggested that you are the guys to ask.
    Living in Canada, my choices are a bit limited. Send a rifle back to the manufacturer is going to be a royal PIA because of our FAC laws. Anything producing over 500 FPS has to be registered under our equivalent of your FAC.
    I have looked at the Daystate MK 4 Target but as that's now disco'd it's out. The HM1000 is and option, but I would have to spend gobs of money to make it fit like the FTP. The Styer is out of my budget and The Fienwerkebau even more so. The Anschutz and Walther are difficult to get and service here.

Unfortunately, the nearest FT or HFT shooting club is a 4 hour drive away. So dropping in to try different rifles is not a possibility. Forthunately for me, I live out in the country and can shoot to my hearts' content in the front or back yard. I'm building a field target range in the woods out back

I want to get involved in FT shooting and competitions, so the FTP 900 seems to be the only choice on the horizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Junaid

2. pops

pops Member

Club:
    anston massive
    ftp900

Hi mate, have a look in the unofficial manufacturers forum on hear click on air arms scroll down to ftp900 the good the bad and the ugly...
    there's 12 full pages hope this helps
    regards pete

3. simona

simona Active Member

Hi Mate

All of the rifles go wrong from time to time. The FTP is a fairly new gun at there were some problems with some of the early ones. I was lucky enough to win one last year and it's been fine, though I haven't used it much. Pure accuracy is superb and the stock is fantastic. If Air Arms are prepared to sell you a gun I would hope that they would also provide some support.

I also have a year old Steyr LG110. This has not been touched in any way and it's been faultless. By reputation the Steyr is very easy to work on with good online guides to allow you to service the gun step-by-step. From this angle The Steyr might be the best option.

It's pointless wondering whether any of these guns are 'better' than the other, all will take down any target as long as the gun is correctly set up with suitable slugs.

I know of a 7 year old Steyr which has never been touched and takes down a hell of a lot of tin chickens....

Good luck

4. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    The problem with the FTP good the bad and the ugly thread is there are people on their who have an axe to grind with AirArms. So allot of it is crap.

I had a FTP on loan for a year for testing and it was a great rifle, very consistent over the chronograph and extremely accurate down range out to 55 yards.

So, what are the problems with a FTP?

Well there are three.

1. The filler valve and regs were leaking, this was down to users not reading the manual (Me included), when you use the probe to fill the gun, you have to lubriate the O rings with the lube provided. If you don't small bits of rubber shear off and get stuck in the reg. If you lube the o rings this down not happen.

2. POI shift, the POI shift was caused by a screw that was slightly to long. This screw is used to hold the rail onto the stock and it was coming through the stock and pushing against the air reservoir. This has now been corrected.

3. Hight of the gun and Cant. The FTP is a very tall rifle, from the base of the pistol grip to the top of the rail it is one of the tallest guns in its class. This means that if you have even a few degrees of cant on the rifle the pellet will miss left or right down range, because a small degree of cant low down, will be massive by the time it gets to the scope.

The vast majority of FTP shooters but the pistol grip down by about 2 cm and this makes a huge difference.

The FTP900 is a great rifle, it is reliable, adjustable and if you set it up correctly, it will be brilliant.

Hope this helps

Gary

5. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    As an FTP owner...

Mine had a leak when I first used it. This was resolved quickly. I have the same moans and grumbles as everyone else, jumping onto the "bash Air Arms" bandwagon. I should have known better perhaps! :eek:

Gary is spot-on regarding the filling probe - but who actually reads instructions? Instructions are for ladies, aren't they?!

Since then, the gun has proven itself to be far, far better than I am. Lovely to use, incredibly accurate (but not necessarily when I'm holding it, because I'm cr@p!) Off the bench the gun is cuffing awesome. I've put 7,500 pellets through mine in nine months, no issues, no regrets at all.

I am sure Air Arms have all issues resolved now. I have no axe to grind either way, but if you're in the market then please consider the FTP900. I love mine! :lev

6. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    ditto

Had mine year same issues as above must have put 10000 through it now , bit heavy for hft so stripped the shroud and stripper off added a carbon shroud etc ,
    Really accurate, not really pellet fussy although only really used jsb and AA
    good bad and ugly was as said lets bash the new rifle , still , most of the shoots i go to theres invariably one in the top placings , the good shooters cant be that daft then can they ?
    Cant say I have ever had an issue with cant tho , if you new scutter you would see one of his eyes is on sideways :)

7. Ash Bailey

Club:
    Got it Vinny! I'd heard Scutter was the cant with the FTP, not Scutter had an FTP with a cant! :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    If you look at his avatar he appears to be suffering from total cant ;)

9. Ash Bailey

Club:
    Get the feeling we could be here all night :eek:

10. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Yes we could, unfortunately I have go out to Pub later

11. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Ftp900

I've just sold a Steyr LG110 with a GinB stock to get an FTP900 and I absolutely love it. I did read all the pros and cons so I have lubed the filler probe! There are so many adjustments on the gun you cannot fail to have one that suits you, it just might take you a long time to find it! But isn't that part of the fun of ownership, the tinkering?
    Oh, and I seem to be able to hit a few things with it as well, always useful.

The only tiny complaint I would make and it may not affect you as an overseas buyer is the stupid anti tamper that Air Arms fit to stop you really tuning the thing before the warranty runs out.

Good luck with your decision.

Rob.

12. Grenade

Grenade New Member

Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I'm off to my gun store (Air Gun Source) on Friday and plonk my money down on one.

I'll be taking both my Daystate Regal and AA S510 Xtra FAC down to be repaired as they are both leaking.
    I have to have something to play with while my other air rifles are being tended to...Don't I?

I have one other question. I see a lot of riser blocks being used to mount the scope really high off the rifle. Whats the reason for doing that?

J

13. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    A higher mounted scope gives a trajectory advantage down range, for the 55 yard targets. For turret diallers, it allows all ranges to be dialled for within less than one turn of the turret (depending on zero range).

My scope is mounted just under 3 inches high and I can dial from 10 yards to 55 yards within 46 clicks, zeroed at top of trajectory. This prevents being a turret turn out when/if the shooter forgets the return to zero after the shot.

If you're thinking of adding a high mounting rail, get one with MOA milled into it to save you having to shim.

I have an FTP. Don't give it a second thought. Get one, you won't regret it. All the fuss is in the past now. Six months ago, there was one at my club. Three were shooting with them last week!

14. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    they must be pretty good coz you've done alright with it, not so well with the hft500 mind;)

15. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    No comparison between the two guns, ones new generation the other spare parts , wouldve prefered an mpr if it had a sidelever

16. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC

17. cliveo

cliveo Member

Club:
    misfits
    err no.....the pistol grip is cut down so it doesn't come into contact with the ground when prone, which is easily done on a slope or uneven surface;) wich would not be permitted in ukahft

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    Yes if that what you want everyone to believe.

19. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Ive only seen hft shooters cut down the pistol grip, for reasons stated above.
    for ft, i see no point what so ever;)

20. Grenade

Grenade New Member

Just picked mine up and brought it home. It was the last one AGS had left. I've spent the day cleaning it and getting it setup to fit me.

I'll start running some pellets through it on my next day off. I'm thinking of putting the new Hawke Airmwx 30 8 X 32 just for now and then purchase A Sightron SIII 10 X 50 later in the summer. This way I have reasonable glass on the rifle to begin with.

It's going to be two months before I can shoot outdoors. The temperature will hopefully be above freezing by then. In the mean time I can practice the three field positions, sitting, kneeling and standing. Especially standing.

Thanks for all your inputs to help me make my decission.

Junaid