FTP 900 question

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by Archer50, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Archer50

Archer50 Member

A friend of mine has just bought a second hand FTP 900. When we were trying it we noticed a strong blast of air from underneath the action in the general area of the power adjuster and firing valve. Since there is a foam block covering where the air comes out that looks original, I'm guessing it is not a fault, but I know very little about this model.

We can't get in touch with the original owner at the moment, and can't find any reference to this on the Web: can anyone explain what causes it please? Or is it a fault....?

Thanks

Alan

2. EV2UK

EV2UK Active Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    It's perfectly normal.

It's a vent hole for the hammer, obvoisly if it didn't have a vent hole the hammer would build up pressure.

Tony

top gun phil and C.Eaton like this.
  3. retroruss

retroruss New Member

Club:
    Redferns / Doncaster Air Range
    Alan
    The firing valve runs in a small plastic bush when this is worn air can get by and out of the hole where the foam is when fired . A small amount of air coming out is Normal as some of this is from the hammer coming forward. The bush is only a couple of quid but check the valve stem is nice and smooth if not fit a new one at the same time.

Russ

top gun phil likes this.
  4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

There will always be some air escapage down past the valve stem of a HP poppet valve.
    Walthers do it and it vents out of the saftey button .
    Steyrs do it and it fills the hammer and trigger chamber .

This is highly probably where the black gunge comes from that gets on your hammers ( atomised lubricant )

some regs actually use it as part of their design ( walther , anschutz ,isp )

This was one of the first things i asked about on here when i got my walther .
    After a chat with the lovely Pete Dutton , i was satisfied that it was just how it is .

I see some gun makers have tried to address the problem by fitting a seal to the stem ,but it seems counter intuitive to introduce drag into the system.
    I recall one rifle that was totally mucked up by having that seal on the stem

5. Archer50

Archer50 Member

Thanks guys - makes sense now :)

6. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    yep its not a fault all ftp900,s do this buddy so dont worry its fine, the foam block is there for this reason