FTP 900 queri

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by what barn door, Apr 30, 2015.

1. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Hi,

As some of you might have read in my earlier posts, I am trying to get to a stage where I can attend a HFT competition. I have bought a ftp 900 and have shot a couple of tins of pellets through it and am very pleased with the rifle, I just wish I was as good as it deserves.

I have found from day one that the rifle is heavy (well I find it that way), however I manage with it pretty well. I constantly check to see how and what the top shooters are doing, it's nice to see the same make and model doing well at top level, but hears the question.

In photos lots of ftps seem to have lost the shroud and barrel band, is this done just to lighten the rifle or does it improve accuracy or both?

Finally, I have also seen the use of rubber eye pieces on some of the scopes in use. I thought I had read that teh scopes must not have such changes to the optics in use, can anyone offer a simple explanation?

Many thanks,

WBD

2. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I have heard that a few of the FTP owners have done the mods for both reasons that you mention.
    A common theory with any gun is that it should shoot more accurately if free floated. Some guns seem to suit it, and others show little or no difference.

In HFT or FT you can use a rubber eyepiece or scope enhancer. The general rules for HFT say that you cannot alter your sight or settings once started.

I wouldnt worry too much about any of these to start with as you will gain your own style and preferences with experience, you already have a superb gun that can win any competition going in standard trim, so no excuses!;)

Just go and enjoy it.:D

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    As Dean has said, you are probably best just to shoot the FTP and get used to handling it. The number of possible adjustments on the stock alone is bewildering without worrying about modifications.

Regarding free floating the barrel, it is not difficult, but does require you to take the action out of the stock and also to have a few basic workshop tools. However, the first question I'd ask is, do you need to do it?

If your rifle is shooting well and you are able to hit the target you are shooting at, then leave well alone, modifying a rifle can have an adverse effect on its value, even if done well.

4. Jelly38

Jelly38 Member

Club:
    Buxted
    Hi WBD,

I have been shooting my FTP for just over a year now. As you rightly point out some FTP's have had the front end stripped. Mine for example is one of them, the reason I did it was to improve the accuracy. At 45 yrds my grouping was roughly 50p size, once stripped my grouping is 5p. However, this isn't always the case with all FTP's. Two guys in our club have kept their FTP's in original set up and their grouping is superb.

Regarding the weight, apart from the muzzle break and shrouds I have also removed the 'figure of eight'. There is also a further aluminium bar which is located inside the stock between the figure of eight and trigger housing. Having removed these the front end is lighter. In addition thou I have placed two carbon fibre tubes over the barrel to help reduce barrel flip.

As has already been mentioned scope enhancers are allowed in HFT. The regulations state that the scope cannot be altered during the shoot/competition. You cannot touch your scope to change parallax, magnification or I.R setting. If you are experiencing parallax error with your scope, an enhancer will help to reduce it.

I am now looking forward to getting my second FTP, I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I do. They are a fantastic, with practice comes experience and with experience comes great scores. But first of all enjoy it, HFT is awesome.

5. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    Thanks for the feedback

Wow thank you Dean, Neil and Jelly, great advice from all three of you. I think this is what makes this forum that little bit better than the others.

I have taken off the spirit level and windicator thing as they are not allowed and add weight to an already heavy gun. Other than that it is in original condition with an MTC Mamba light sat on top. It holds zero so well, that when I do miss, I know it's either me (usually that is the cause) or a bit of parallax creeping in.

Once again my thanks for your help gents,

WBD

6. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    Swap the mamba for a connect......no parallax......my standard ftp shoots thru' same hole at 40 yards off a bean bag.....its just me thats crap....:D:D:eek:o

7. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    Will check it out

Thank you Handy, I will sort out a better scope for it shortly (once my bank manager is speaking to me again).

WBD

8. Metallninja

Metallninja New Member

Club:
    Grampian Air Rifle Club
    weight loss

I've recently swapped from my Daystate to an FTP for HFT.

The rifle is heavy for sure. I read many forums and decided to modify the FTP.
    I removed the figure of 8, the chassis that supports the figure of 8, the air stripper and the standard 2 piece shroud. The hamster has also been removed, I don't need it but many do.
    I now have a carbon fibre shroud which weighs almost nout and a stripper from UK Neil.

Biggest difference is not the grouping, which has been amazing from day 1. The difference is the weight. Standing and kneeling shots are a lot easier. This alone makes the modification worthwhile.

All the parts removed can be easily put back on and the rifle returned to standard trim. The whole process doesn't take long at all.

Scope in use is the MTC Connect 32mm with BKL low mounts, works a treat.