ftp 900 owners

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by monty19, Jul 14, 2015.

1. monty19

monty19 New Member

hi all, im getting the ftp tomorrow and looking for tips and advice to get me up and running, so im looking for advice re,

which pellets (always used jsb exacts in the ev2) to good effect
    should i clean the barrel even though its been fired by air arms to test the reg

all advice and tips thankfully accepted

2. andy1762

andy1762 Member

Club:
    Castle FT
    Hi Monty

I have tried JSB's and Air Arms field and mine prefers the Air Arms as for barrel cleaning mine does not seem to like being cleaned.

Just enjoy shooting it, despite all the negative comments going around about the FTP, it is a great gun to shoot.

Andy

ps I have had problems with my filler valve which I have now removed and fitted a Daystate type.

3. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hello,

I couldn't help bit think your post is a cause for concern for a possible buyer. Having to replace parts on a new rifle.

Do the right thing and import a Steyr from Europe, I would say you get a lot more gun for your money. You can get a 2014 HFT for £1,370, that is a £1,900 gun from England. Steyr can be finicky but no parts have to be removed from new and always work as they should.

Regards

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    That's a sweeping statement that a lot of barrel changing Steyr owners would probably disagree with.

5. monty19

monty19 New Member

i did consider the styer but im a air arms fan and have shot them for years, also as its new its fully covered by air arms who im sure will sort it, thanks for the advice gents much appreciated

6. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

I also considered the Steyr from the EU but ended up with the FTP, had a mod made by UkNeil and I'm more than happy it's just an absolute pleasure to shoot.

7. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    I have an FTP900. I had a minor issue initially which was quickly resolved by Air Arms.

Personally I think that AA got their act together, and product leaving their warehouse today is as good as, or better than, anything else on the market. Every manufacturer turns out the odd turkey, and people write about them. No so many write about the perfect products!

Enjoy your new gun! Try AA Diabolo Fields, 8.44gn, 4.52mm. My FTP likes these.

8. monty19

monty19 New Member

Didn't bother cleaning it as it had a few through it prior to me getting, so I zeroed in at 15 yards and off we went.

Put ten through the bull without even trying, this thing shoots brilliantly :)

Attached Files:

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Had an FTP for about 6 months now.
    After initial problems with power being way down, I had the AT taken out which gave me the ability to fine-tune to a chosen pellet.

Started with JSB's but found I couldn't get consistency, tried AA Fields at 770fps and they were much better, then went onto AA Express and they were superb at 800fps and are now my go to pellet for competition.

I find that my barrel does like a clean after every shoot. I've tried not cleaning at all and it starts going all over the shop, so for the sake of 2 minutes I clean mine though it does seem to vary.
    I'm trying a different barrel prep. to see if I can change this.

Still tweaking, a little at a time mainly adjusting the trigger to get it exactly how I like it.
    Not convinced about the barrel shrouds/frame, would like to remove permanently but I've tried a bare barrel and it was worse grouping than with all the gubbins in place.

Overall a very good rifle for the money, not as good as the FWB800's or Anschutz 9003 but then it's a grand cheaper.

10. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

I've just taken all the gubbins off ready to try the floated barrel but it's a bit wet and windy for any meaningful test at the moment.

11. LuckLogic

LuckLogic Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksman & Buckley Wood
    Confirm that is the pellet that I also find to be the best with this gun.................................now what accessories shall you buy ? ;)

"Enjoy your new gun! Try AA Diabolo Fields, 8.44gn, 4.52mm. My FTP likes these"

12. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Before you settle on AA Fields presumably at around 770fps, try AA Expresses at around 800fps.
    Also I've found the FTP barrel prefers lubed pellets, so if you try this shoot a group unlubed, then try a comparison lubed group.

13. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

I haven't tried lubed pellets but I have just been shooting JSB Exact Express and getting my best results so far. Whether that's the pellets or me getting used to he gun I haven't a clue.

14. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    If I could find some Exact Expresses I would like to try them but I have enough trouble finding the AA expresses let alone those. I've got a gut feeling that the AA Expresses will still be better as the 8.4 AA Fields were far better than the 8.4 JSB Exacts.