FT weapon of choice...?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Foady, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Foady

Foady New Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Quick fire question:

I want to shoot HFT. Currently plinking with a .22 Air Arms TDR 410 - fun but the wrong kit and calibre for HFT.

Budget is not an issue so I have been sniffing around the Daystate Panther 1.77 which seems top notch.
    Nevertheless I also have some brand alignment to Air Arms and have looked at their MPR 400.

I guess I don't want to pitch up with a Panther and look like the guy with "all the gear but no idea..." so thinking that the Air Arms MPR might be a good purchase to test my definite interest and ability?

Any insight on the suggested tools above or an alternative would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation....

2. Maxiboy

Maxiboy New Member

Air Arms EV2's are also common but might look even more like all the gear no idea

But who cares...

3. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC

I would recommend an MPR over the panther anyway but if budget isn't an issue then buy what your comfortable with, if your not sure wether your going to commit to hft then a s400f is a great starting point for the money.

Best just to try different guns (if you can), don't worry about what people think mate, use what you want...... F@ck em.

Mark

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably the scope is more important for FT than the gun. I'd be looking at that first. If you can rangefind, to a certain degree, anything that shoots consistently will get you past the teeth cutting stage.

5. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    The title says FT the OP says HFT, get a Walther or Steyr, good for both,

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Foady, the best advice would be to get along to a club/comp and see what everyone else is using. Most of us are friendly types and won't mind you trying our gear, there is no best gun or scope for either FT or HFT it's down to how the gear suits you. :)

7. lyn

lyn New Member

Club:
    TREETOPS
    what gun

hey mate

i started with aa s400 but within 3 months changed up to ev 2 mk 4 and what a difference but suggest what others said pop along to a club and try others whats good for one may not suit others and can be expensive lesson, and scope is a big decision to.

8. cozypom

cozypom New Member

Club:
    North Devon Airgunners

the AA MPR is an awesome piece of kit and thats coming from me who has a steyr and has had ev2,s and as it happens have a mpr all set up with scope etc all thats needed is someone to pull the trigger ...

9. rickysdaystate

rickysdaystate Make Every Shot Count

Club:
    Greyhound
    i am just starting FT now and i have a zenith toped with a big nikko. if i never brought the zenith i would be shooting either a walther or a steyr lg110

10. Foady

Foady New Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Great response - appreciate the advice.

I have requests out to 2 shops now seeking a delivery date on the 2 guns in question - expect a wait time as I am a left hooker.
    During the wait I will seek to get access to both guns.

Interesting choice - still think it's a Panther or an MPR - and I guess the challenge will be not knowing my ability whether a Panther is over spend for a first competitive rifle.

I will post the outcome - thanks again. I am sure I will be back with more questions!

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Personally for Panther money I'd be looking at a Steyr, which is a true left hooker rather than an ambi and compromise for both. Have you shot either? It's a big commitment to make, buying before trying.:)

12. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

If it's HFT your interested in, then pop down to Bisley on Sunday, club HFT is on from 9.30 till about 12.30, come and have a look at what guns are being used, it may change your mind.

13. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I'd go for the MPR over the Daystate & I've had both (well I had a MK-3in a platinum stock, a MK-4 & an MPR)
    I also shoot lefthanded.
    They are both very good rifles but the MPR just feels better to me.

14. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Yeah but its well known your wierd Steve:D:D:D:D

15. nat

nat Member

I've got an EV2 and hubby has the panther, both very very nice. In fact I think the panther groups better then my EV2! Sod what other people think. Get the rifle you want, that you're comfortable with and that's in your budget. Always try before you buy. Picking the rifle up in a shop and giving it a quick look is nothing compared to having a few shoots down a club. Like the others have said, it's a big investment, make sure its right for you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  16. Foady

Foady New Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Well - my lack of patience kicked in and I made a decision.

The decision has been put into play and I have ordered an AA MRP 400 FT.
    Ordered with an Ambi stock.
    Rifle should be with me in 10 days time - which gives me time to review scopes...more fun.

If I manage to knock down a few targets I then have the option to sell (ambi stock is easier to sell than LH) and upgrade if I feel it is necessary.

Let's see what I can hit!

Thanks for all your pointers.

17. Foady

Foady New Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Cobblers!!!
    Air Arms can't deliver an AA MPR until Feb of next year......
    ...going to have to go hunting around a few retails or have a re-think.

:mad:

18. merlot

merlot Member

ft

Hi if i was you i would be looking at a second hand pro target then get the best glass you can afford the guns are as good as all the rest but scopes can make alot of differance

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  19. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Im on my second, 2nd hand MPR. They are excellent rifles. You would probably have to modify/add to the stock for a correct fit. I only sold the first one because it was AT and was running hot. My present MPR is pre AT, so i can adjust, plus it has a modified stock.These rifles are not regulated, which i prefer as there is less to go wrong and are easy to maintain and service. I fill to 150bar and get 60 good shots under 20fps .

20. Dazzzle

Dazzzle New Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    If HFT is the main interest why not buy a second hand 400 swap the bolt over to the left and change the stock for a GINB stock would be quick