FT style scope for HFT?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by goodger22, Dec 7, 2015.

1. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

I currently have a nikko sterling target master 10-50x60 on my AA. I am looking at getting more into HFT though and was wondering would this scope be suitable for HFT completion or is it a bit over kill.

Thanks guys

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Probably a bit of overkill but could do the job as long as it has mildot or some form of graduated ret so you can use it at fixed mag 10/12x and use hold over for range compensation.
    Depth of field would probably be your big issue though - usually people go for a smaller objective lens diameter 32 to 40 ish mm so more of the 10 to 45m course is in some kind of focus.
    kr

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I imagine it would be quite a handicap as the depth of field will be short and the possible px error at the extremes with shooting fixed px with an objective that big is going to make it tough!

You would be better of with a much smaller scope, anything with a decent mag and multi aimpoint ret would be ok to have a dabble at HFT. If you get hooked buy something that really lends itself to the discipline.

Have you got a cheap 3-9x40 mildot knocking about? I have a few if you want one.

4. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

Perfect thanks for the information guys. I have a hawke sports hd 4-12x50 scope. Would this be a bit better to work with?

5. Tench

The Hawke 50mm scopes have a depth of field a 50mm scope has no right to have, I suspect it is due to the increased body angle not actually allowing the whole lens dia to be utilised. Yes that would do you for a trip into HFT.

6. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

Thanks mate I'll give that ago for now anyways.

7. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

I'm sure if it where your first few outings no one's going to mind if you reduce/obscure the objective lens size.it will help increase the depth of field. A lense cap/cover with a 40mm hole will do the trick.

Obviously not allowed at any ukahft event but at first go level I doubt anyone will mind.

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Guiseley do a combined FT/HFT club competition and I won it once a few years back using my HW100 with Nikko Diamond 10-50x60. I hadn't realised you didn't have to use the same rifle for both legs of the course. :)

I just wound it down to 10x and used the lines on the NATO ret. it worked ok, not optimal but usable. The blur was quite bad at close range but I could see enough.

9. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

Great thanks guys will people use my 4-12x50 then have a look for maby a mtc optict

10. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Andy Calpin once won a national UKAHFT round outright using an FT rifle and scope (Ripley AR5S & Tasco Custom Shop) - and he did it all kneeling and standing, apart from the 3 prone only lanes where he had to shoot prone under protest.

That's with a 60mm objective lens, he just turned it down to 10x mag and shot it blurred.

I also shot round with a lad (can't remember his name) who cleared a UKAHFT national round (North Oxon) with a Simmons scope on 20x mag. So it's possible to do if you can point the gun in the right direction.

Give it a go and see how you get on, it's not the Olympics, no one will care what score you get apart from you, and if you don't do so well, you've got a pre-made excuse :D

11. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

Haha like the idea of this pre made excuse idea

12. goodger22

goodger22 New Member

I know there isn't a 'best scope' for hft, but what scoPes do other people use for HFT ?

13. Tench

We all have different eyes so we all may disagree and say there is a best scope for HFT but each of us name a different scope. The scope on my HFT rifle is a NightForce NXS 2.5-10x24 which by the way is the "Best" HFT scope! :D

14. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    possibly the most expensive but not the best;)

15. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I can concur & they're probably the hardest to get hold of :rolleyes: (though there's one on flea bay at the minute)!