FT springer shooters: do you use a rail?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Adam, Aug 28, 2014.

?

What do you mount your scope on?

1. Just mounts directly on the dovetail

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Rail: AJP

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Rail: other

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Riser blocks: Sportsmatch

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Riser blocks: BKL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Riser blocks: other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Just interested in how many folks use rails or riser blocks vs normal mounts and why. I can see that AJP rails are popular.

I currently shoot a 97K with Bushnell Elite on Sportsmatch A0P55 adjustable mount (which is a pretty high mount) but I'm considering a rail, mainly for comfort and head position rather than any trajectory benefits.

I'm not keen on the idea of a pair of risers on a springer, for the same reason that I prefer a one piece mount to a two piece; more for peace of mind.

I'm trying to post a poll, so let's see if this works...

2. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

I use a rail on twangers the same as I do on PCP because surprisingly I still have the same body.
    They're for comfort, forget anything else.

3. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    AJP rail for comfort and you don't have to pack the rear mount or use adjustable mounts..;)

4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I have 4 FT springers, including 2 97s, all have AJP rails on them. If you are worried about the mounts sliding back on the rail....which has never happened to me by the way, JONO will drill you some holes in the top of the rail for a mount stop to be located. Top man is JONO.

5. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    I use a Seyr riser on my HW77 and it fits perfectly no shift whatsoever.

6. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Many moons ago I won the piston class of the NEFTA WL with this bad boy.

TX200HC + Weaver T36 AOP55 on 3 Sportsmatch risers

All the recoil pins slotted together nicely, it never shifted. I could even strip the thing and it would still be within a few clicks.

A rail might look neater though :D

7. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Out of curiosity, what reticle did you use on the T36? I keep thinking about one as a "poor-man's" Leup Comp but my concern is the reticle and how it holds up on a springer. They are light, have good glass and clicks otherwise. And at least in the USA can be had for $300-350 on the used market.

8. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    AJP rail on the TX as it gave the required inclination to suit the Burris without trying to pack mounts or use adjustable mounts. Only reason that it is there though.

9. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Hi there, it had the fine target dot (very fine it is too). I had no problems with the scope, they're pretty bomb proof. I regret selling mine, now I use a Bushnell 8-32x40 which is a bit more versatile. I think the Weaver just edges it optically and for range finding though, the turrets are awesome too.

Interesting you should mention the Leup comp, I had the opportunity to look through a X35 and the T36 back to back, the T36 was up there in clarity, just loosing out to the Leup in contrast / colour.

10. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association

Thanks for the feedback - I assume a close focus adapter was required? Any mods to the Weaver factory parallax? Very tempted but I know how good the Bushnell's are for springers. And the lower mag could come in handy with my wobbles.

11. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Oh god I remember that pink thing, I think my retinas still have the afterimages! :eek:

I have a couple of spare Sportsmatch risers, which I may just give a try. It will be a free test to see if I like a bit more height on the scope with the Warren stock.

12. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    No, I'm not worried about that at all. :) I have one of Jono's rail on my Steyr and I had one on my EV too so I know they're superb, and I'll probably end up with one on the 97.

13. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Yes you'll need a close focus adapter, Without it mine came down to just over15 yards. I never tried adjusting the front lens as it ranged really well.

My only criticism is the ret, it's a very fine cross or a very fine cross with a fine dot. Great for precision, not so great on black or dark targets. My 8-32's are only duplex models, but even having the duplex is a big advantage in the wind as a reference point.