FT Scope pointers

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RobF, Feb 23, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    With the March on it's way I though i'd treat it to something... (seeing as it doesn't come with a pointer). After ordering one, I then remembered I had a silver one in the cupboard, rumaging around for that I found another... so I thought i'd stick them up for comparison.

One thing I would mention in advance, I spend a lot of time when I get a wheel making sure it's mounted so it doesn't wobble... that way I can get a pointer as tight to it as possible without it rubbing, and I don't need it far away which could cause parallax error when you read off the needle.

On the attachment below, on the left you have one off a Hakko/Tasco Custom shop/Deben, in the middle is one of Barry Taylor's, and on the right the new Sportsmatch.

The Hakko/TC/Deben one is free, because it comes with a scope attached. They do come up for air now and then on their own, but not often... you may find one in the back of someone's shooting cupboard if you're lucky. They only come in 30mm. The strap itself is 6mm wide, which is nice and narrow if space is tight, but the pointer isn't adjustable, so if it doesn't reach the wheel it will need adapting. They're actually intended as pointers to read off the dials, but they work just as well for the wheel.

Barry Taylor's pointers came onto the market about a year or so ago and were the only aftermarket offering unless you could tame a pet engineer to make you one up.
    For £20 you get the choice of silver or black, but again only 30mm. You also get two pointers, one short and one long, which can be swapped easily, so that solves the previous pointer's shortcomings. Very neat, fits well. It's plus point is probably it's only minus point... while I find the pointer stiff enough that it can't be bent and indeed nice for drawing a line along, i also find it a tad on the thick side which can mask a mark. Easily solvable, either thin down a pointer supplied, or snap a needle and use that instead. The ring itself is slightly thicker, 9mm wide. Perhaps one other downside is that at the widest point, the clamp is 8mm off the tube, so you may need to check you have room if you have low one piece mounts.

I've been using one for the past year and there's been no sign of rust or any corrosion and it hasn't come loose.

Sportsmatch must have been watching a few forums. With several requests for pointers it seems they've jumped in as well. Their offering is £40. The pointed pointer is a short stainless affair (the ring is ally, like Barry's), and only projects a few mm further than the first Hakko/Tasco/Deben. It is however on a hinge which can be angled (back and forth along the scope tube, not up and down), although I suspect this is a bi-product of the fact that the same ring is used for their magnifier for turrets. The pointer itself can't be easily changed as it's set inside it's holder, although i'm sure someone could make another if needed. The clamp itself is hinged as well, and fit is good. Again it's only in 30mm but it only comes in black. The ring is only 6mm wide.

So that's about it. Obviously though you can always cut a credit card up and slip it into your mounts, or shape a bit of metal (assuming it you've found something that won't bend and give you a false reading)... but if you fancy something a little more elegant, there you go.

Barry's pointers were ordered from him direct, and the sportsmatch pointer I ordered from http://www.tawnadoairguns.com/ . Both came through with the goods fast with no problems.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    I got one of the Barry Taylor pointers and ordered another 2 this week.

Excellent quality items!

3. Jon

Jon Member

Other people have been doing them for 16 yeras Rob.

4. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Who else mate?

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably Jon ;)

(sorry, I never knew)

6. DazF