FT scope height?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Daveclark, May 16, 2011.

1. Daveclark

Daveclark New Member

Club:
    Emley F.T.C
    Hi all, Is 84mm too high for an FT scope? I know it's up to me, but just asking more experienced shooters? Reason is I've ended up with a 34mm tubed scope so am limited to mounts and rail. I have mounts but would like Barry Taylor adjustable rail which is 42mm on it's own! So is 84 too high?

Dave.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. john sears

john sears old but not so wise

Club:
    Castle FTC
    no i have just put mine up to 83 mm and works great :)

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    the issues with scope height is how much you have to dial for close ranges, and how careful you have to be with cant...

i can measure H's when i get back home, but it's high, but it's really flat far out, a click 1/4 MOA per yard, but the zero is something like 35-40 yds... however, 8 yd's is something like 100 clicks away from 8 yds.

4. Daveclark

Daveclark New Member

Club:
    Emley F.T.C
    Zero

What zero do you use?

5. RobF

Club:
    You will find a scope's zero is made by the scope height and trajectory... you can't really determine the highest point yourself. You can say aim off, or make a certain range 0 clicks, but the highest point will always be something predetermined by your set up.

The higher the scope, the further out it will be though.

6. Daveclark

Daveclark New Member

Club:
    Emley F.T.C
    Any

So you can use any zero? I usually use 25 yds, then turret only goes up, never had it that high so just wondered how it would effect it, clicks wise, 1/4 clicks aswell!!

7. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi Dave,

What Rob's saying is you should do exactly the same with your new scope height as you have been doing with your old setup, ie. zero at the point where you only have to dial up. The fact that you have your scope higher will move that point further along the trajectory of the pellet, probably to around 35 - 36yds. If you zero at 25yds with the scope as high as you now have it you will have to dial down for distances between 25 and 35yds.

The effect it has is that it will reduce the number of clicks between distances further out, thereby giving a slightly larger margin for error, but there will be lots more clicks between distances closer in!

HTH,

Alan.

8. RobF

Club:
    Most have their zero around 25... because their mounts are common... and the other reason is you may only see a click 5yds either side of 25, perhaps two... so it can be missed or ignored as a significant change if you are so inclined.

I tend to set up the ranges loosely to work out where the lowest point is, then lift and shift the turret to zero at that point, but perhaps set it to 4-5 clicks, just to allow a little room for error or shift.

If you're obsessed like me though, you can make a graph and see where your actual zero is by plotting clicks vs distance... sometimes it isn't bang on 25 yds... if you look at the attached image, you can see that the actual top point of the trajectory is about 32.5 yds... This is H's rifle, which has a scope centre to bore centre of about 100mm or so...

it can be a useful exercise to see if you have any odd humps n bumps... when i do it i just try and smooth the curve out a bit, but there's normally a couple of ranges that seem to be a click or so out off the line... i dont let it bother me in that case. Can be a saving in time by doing a guestimate of your clicks at 'in between' ranges like 2.5 yds apart.

Attached Files:

• H.jpg
      H.jpg
      File size:
      196.5 KB
      Views:
  9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Mils ?

I don't do mils . but i keep my scope at three and a half inches line of flight to line of sight . it took me some years to get this right . having taken one of my scopes up to 6 inches above the barrel at one time . the advantages are obvious . you have a head up sight picture . so the your wind pipe is in a straight line and tension on the neck nerves is less . the best bit is that it flattens the trajectory between 45 and 55 . thus making range finding errors less of a problem . the bad bit is the close ones . but if you sort em out properly then it is pretty straight forward . i zero at 35 yards . every thing is up from there . on my schmidt and bender PM11 , 0 is 35 yards on turn one . 8 yards is three and a half on turn two in the top tiurret window . or i can use the bloody marvelos ret to shoot on . but i love dialing . so that is what i do ??? HOLLY PS 35 30 and 25 yards are all taken on the setting 0 IE zero .:):D

10. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Mundane I know in among all the technical but important all the same, dont have it so tall you cannot get the bloody thing in a box! :D

11. Daveclark

Daveclark New Member

Club:
    Emley F.T.C
    Thanks

Much appreciated, got me mounts and adjustable rail, try and set it up at the weekend! Wish luck!!:)

12. RobF

Club:
    Good luck with it :)