FT Scope...for poor people

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by pjp61, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    That’s what he does, only I’ve got fruits on my sidewheel.
    Wheel says cherry, dial cherry and hit cherry. No one said this is a measuring competition ;)

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    For the ultimate in cheapness for FT then look no further than picking up an old Tasco TR 6-24 that has a twin line reticle.
    Rip out the moose/elk/bear tape from the ocular and replace with plain paper.
    Set out an FT target of your choice at 55yds and carefully zoom the eye-piece to 'bracket' from the top of the hinge to the centre of the kill, i.e. so that the top line sits across the middle of the kill and the lower line sits at the top of the hinge. Mark off 55yds on the white paper in the ocular.
    Rinse/repeat for all other ranges until you have all ranges from 55 to 10yds.
    Finally cover the white paper with sellotape to protect it.

You now have a cheap, reliable FT scope which is unaffected by temperature and just needs you to practice shooting off your knee.
    This is how we did it back in the late 80's before big mag. scopes dominated.

EV2UK, Lofty, LUDJEV77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Marin

Marin Member

Thanks to everyone that posted under my silly question. The conclusion is follow the "rules" if you want to be competitive or just play it your way and have fun shooting the breeze :)

Danm rules.

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.”

― Albert Einstein

I just wonder why no one takes my micro prism focusing idea seriously.. are you all that straightforward or I'm the only one here born in analogue time? Someone?

4. garym

garym Active Member

Marin, what rules. ;)
    Do it your way, just enjoy the shooting. Setting up a competition kit for you and the wife is a serious financial hit.
    Shoot the breeze, your way.
    I compete only to make other peoples scores look good. :) I even make Jethro look good.
    I enjoy it, I learn a new Bulgarian word at every event. ( slow learner )
    Enjoy the shooting, hopefully as much as I have enjoyed this thread.

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Some good posts.

Thanks Rob for taking the time to post informative replies.

The scope on my HW77 in a FT stock ... A Custom Shop that cost £120 s/h. Range at 40x and shoot at 20x ( it's a 50x max but at 50x it's a tad dull ). It's struggling now to be honest.

My big side wheel doesn't have ranges on ... just numbers representing dots either side of 'Z' ... So 0.5, 1, 1.5 or -0.5 etc. Focus ... read number ... hold accordingly. :D

Marin likes this.
  6. Marin

Marin Member

Thanks Skires for your idea. I will really consider putting dots on my wheel as i'am mil-dot-gender too :-d

As for mist if the cheap old scopes you mention

Some of the posts were really informative and interesting and I really appreciate you've spent your time to write.

7. Marin

Marin Member

Damn touchscreen!

As for most of the cheap old scopes some of you mentioned there is no way to find them on my local market and due to some restrictions many sellers and all uk shops refuse to export high power scopes so at the end not that easy for me to get one.

nice evening to everyone. I go thinking about some alternative methods for measuring distances :-d

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Marin

Most of the FT guys will recommend dialling in the elevation. I was advised to do that as it means that you then hold on aim centre kill vertically and just worry about aiming off horizontally for wind. That's probably more reliable than trying to hold off in dots vertically and horizontally.

If you do need to use a cheaper scope and lower mag then you can use dots or multi point rets to bracket the kill if you know the kill sizes. It's not the way that most do it but you can do it and do okay. As mentioned above it's about enjoying it as much as you can.

Dale, RobF and garym like this.
  9. bow

bow Active Member

I've done ft , I've done hft. I still shoot competitively. I know people that have shot both. If everything's ok gun wise, and you know your stuff, there's no reason why you can't knock a 55 yarders every time. Whatever scope you've got on top.
    Overtime you learn the skills if you you put the time in. Number one eyeball will get you in the ball park.
    The glass just helps. I shoot everything now on 8× mag whether it's 10yds or 70yds. its what suites you.
    And that's for ranging as well. There are people that shoot better than me. A lot better. And it's not the scope that makes the difference. To be honest I'd be quite happy to shoot out to 200 yds with my present set up. As most have said whatever you chose, enjoy it, and the banter.

10. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    FT for poor people? if you have enough disposable income to go shooting FT, you could hardly be described as being on the bread line.

garym, Welsh Wizard and terryn like this.
  11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Have you tried your prism on a 600mm lens on a subject 50 yards away? ;)

12. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

I shot the last PJBRC with a second hand tx200 and a hawke vantage. Total cost £400. Didn't do too bad and had a good time.
    I think you could shoot ft on a budget,
    The problem is basic human nature gets in the way. Either we start to get competitive and want to win, or try keeping up with the Jones's and wanting the 'best' kit.

NeilM, pbrown, Lofty and 2 others like this.
  13. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    Dan, if you were truly poor, the cost of entry to the PJBRC would be out of the question. That amount of income would be spent on such items such as food, not shooting steel targets. All a mater of perspective.

vangard likes this.