FT Scope...for poor people

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by pjp61, Mar 26, 2015.

1. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Good choice Paul. Looks like you'll be a busy lad on Sunday afternoon :D

2. pjp61

pjp61 New Member

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Not a bad thing, Paul, I could use the exercise!;)

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Wise move Paul, I hope it does the business for you, enjoy.:)

4. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    I tested the Hawke Airmax 30 8-32x50 during British Recoiling Champs and it performed great so I would recommend esp as a starter scope

5. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Another vote for the Falcon T35 great scope, glass on a par with my Leupold.

6. Marin

Marin Member

Hello,
    The post is 3 years old but instead of making a new one I decided make an update.

So few years later is there something new that can do the job in FT on a lower price?
    I know that most of you will recommend big Niko or at least the Falcon T50
    I've heard some rumors about new Discovery scope but still nothing real.

Ahy idea for a scope less than 300£ new that can measure well the far end distances?

I'm quite new in this sport and still don't understand why the rules require such scopes to be used when the cheapest rangefinder from Ali express can do it better than the most expensive scope. I suspect that someone from the lens industry wrote the rules :)

skires likes this.
  7. garym

garym Active Member

The rules require no such scope. :). A FT relevant scope gives a advantage. ie points. Rangefinding using only your optics and skills are the rules.
    I have been known to shoot a FT course with a MTC Connect, nothing against the rules. I still came last.:D

Darron likes this.
  8. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    The point of the rules not allowing electronic rangefinding devices is that it forces the shooter to deal with different lighting conditions, different temperatures, different perceptions of focus on various colours of target etc. Sure, we could all save a load by getting a cheapy rangefinder and a low mag scope but that's not the way we play, is it?

Regrding a low cost good rangefinding scope, a 2nd hand scope with better optics is better than a cheap new scope. Keep a lookout for a Mk1 Nikko or even it's predecessor,The BSA60.

Darron and garym like this.
  9. garym

garym Active Member

A T50 will do the job. Often available for 300 quid ish. Save your money. Just get a Big Nikko.:D The Sightrons that all our friends are buying are not worth double the money of the Nikko.
    Sell your Porche and try all options. ;););)

RAMBO likes this.
  10. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Hi Marin,
    Yes a lot of shooters would recommend both, which are fine for FT but which you are quite expensive if you can only afford £300.
    If you are patient you could pick up a 2nd hand ( used) T50.
    There is no rule that I am aware of that says you must have any particular scope for Field Target shooting . he reason they have high magnification scopes
    is that they are better for range finding , lower magnification scopes are not as good. Cheaper scopes do not have as sharp a sight picture.
    If you cannot afford a top model scope look at the Hawke scopes ,as high magnification as you can afford with sidewheel parallax.
    Good Luck
    Terry

11. Marin

Marin Member

I still have my old cameras 24/36mm.
    One was using matt (ground) glass the other have two small prisms in the center that align the image when perfectly focused (don't know the English name of that technology) I'm wondering if that technology can be built inside the scope somewhere off-center in the field of view. It can greatly improve the focus peaking.

It would be a nice that old analog technology to be reborn in the digital era.

12. Marin

Marin Member

I found it: "Split image micro prism focusing"
    Here is a YouTube video for the one younger than me born in the digital time:

I found that such screens can still be found under 30£ online.

I wonder if such screen can be used to make a low power scope like 10x work for FT.

Someone good in optic theory can tell.

Sounds interesting?

13. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    No

Gary Martin and LUDJEV77 like this.
  14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Try it on a 50m target and see how it fairs ;)
    2nd hand is the route forward. It's how most people get their scopes.

LUDJEV77 and Darron like this.
  15. Scott Hull

Scott Hull Member

Club:
    SLSBA/Morro Bay
    The problem you present is that the rules allow it (focus range-finding), not that they require it.

Probably one of the reasons that true HFT exists.

Marin likes this.
  16. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    I've just gone this route - was going for a new T50 - until I needed to pay the money to my dentist instead (long & expensive (£2k) story involving two post crowns and a post filling) - but kept an eye on the forums & bought a 2nd hand one (& prayed that it was good) been using an old Gun-Tuff 8-32x50 for years (brand new it was £79.99) and if the T50 can 'double my scores' (as a previous poster opined regarding bigger/better scopes) I'll be very happy - seeing as how I've been shooting at over 50% with it;):D

17. Marin

Marin Member

Scott,
    For any reason Hft is not existant in my country. Otherwise I would not being posting that questions as I already have several low power scopes good for HFT.
    I love shooting using holdover. For example few days ago I was shooting at 123m with low power .22 at 10x and my holdover was 11 dots. Doing so is like feeling the trajectory of the pellet. I like FFP scopes and mildot reticles. Unfortunately that won't work quite well in FT and my points so far are just average.

18. Scott Hull

Scott Hull Member

Club:
    SLSBA/Morro Bay
    True HFT is rare in my country as well. We have a popular "Hunter" FT division in the USA but it is much different than HFT. In "Hunter" Division, you can focus range find. Hunter scopes are currently limited to 16x or lower settings, but people still spend time and $$ looking for that Holy Grale that can focus range find out to 55 yds, even at 16x.

I presently use a 6-24x50 FFP scope whether shooting Open, Hunter, or WFTF. It does not range all that well, but it has a great FFP MOA reticle. I run it at 16x for Hunter Division, and 24x for Open/WFTF. Same dope either way. Higher mag would likely help ranging, but I have not found a higher mag FFP scope that I like, or that is suitable for Field Target.

BTW, that split prism focusing aid does look interesting. Unlikely that it would ever be implemented in a production rifle scope as it is old tech and would be very specific to FT (small market).

19. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Okay ... Here is a genuine and honest question ...

Let's say you took 10 or 20 ( you decide the number ) 'reasonably intelligent' people, and they all wanted to start FT. You give them all a Big Nikko scope. After say, 12 months, with some guidance from an experienced shooter or two from their club, would all of those people now be able to range find targets in the 45 to 55 yard area, with their Big Nikkos, to within a couple of yards ... or to a level where they would take the target down if they judged the wind correctly and released the shot well?

20. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    yes

RAMBO and dave croucher like this.