FT scope for benchrest?

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Jun 21, 2018.

1. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Is the Competition available in the UK? I can find it in Europe at about £1400, which is a lot cheaper than it used to be in the UK, but Viking Arms don't show it on their web site.

I have two 45's, love em.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    The 35 and 40 are discontinued per the Leup website Competition Rifle Scope | Leupold, the last new ones disappeared around Christmas 2017. The 45 temporarily came off the Leup current model list but looks like it's back by popular demand? Buying in the US is the best bet, even with the export licence and import duties it's a cheaper option than buying in the EU. Bruno Shooter Supplies (highly recommended, talk to Amy) Competition: Bruno Shooters Supply are still showing all variants on their website as on backorder at a decent price but Leup only show the 45 mag as a current model.

Monty

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    With the $ at 1.31 to the £ it’s not a great time to buy but although it’s almost at the low of Brexit i don’t see it shifting soon. It went up to around 1.45 a while ago which was probably a good time but sank back (which is good for me but not for buying in $)

4. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Even with the rate at $1.31 the discounted price from Bruno still feels pretty reasonable. When I got my 40x's the rate was a bit better and with the export licence, freight and duty they worked out under £900 each, the scope itself was $999. It's a lot of scope for £900 (if Leup's are your thing) and the Leupold warranty is worldwide so no issues buying in the US.

At the time the price in the EU was almost double the US price and used comps were selling for £700-£850 here on STB albeit most had mildot or duplex retro fitted by Harald and may have had a shade, wheel, top turret and CFA thrown in as well on the upper cost ones. The price difference between the US and EU is quite staggering, I found one authorised Leupold reseller in the UK that was asking £1800, no stock and about a 5 week lead time so would probably have been on their next order with Leupold.

£1800, really???

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That has always been my beef with Leupold and the Comp.

It has always struck me that Leupold don't want to sell the Comp (and possibly other products) into the UK and Europe, but if we wish to buy them then we can pay through the nose.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Cripes I didn’t realise it was that bad. Perhaps get their stickers from the same people as Anschutz. When I last looked they were £600 from US and £1200 in the uk.

7. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Leupold obviously don't need customers as the last time I tried to buy a custom x40 Competition scope (silver/target turrets/TMR reticle) through a mate in Florida they took the order then just before the delivery date phoned him up and asked him what he was going to use the scope for.
    Not being a shooter he had no idea so just said target shooting, they pressed him for what type of target shooting where he told them just general.
    They then told him that they didn't believe the scope was for him and cancelled the order! :mad:

8. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Are you sure?

They've always bobbed around the $999 mark in the US, exchange rate will determine the sterling cost but you also have the export licence ($40), freight ($50 plus £20 UK) and UK import duties and taxes (a shed load) to factor into the US price. Even with a really good exchange rate that's still north of £800.

Never seen one available in the EU for less than the £1400 Neil mentioned and the UK is/was always much more if you could actually find one. I got a price from the old Leupold UK disti in Fareham and they even discounted it for me because I could pick it up in person....

9. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    May have been because of a fear of export, even if you buy a restricted scope in the US in person and then export it in your baggage you still need an export licence. There are some pretty steep fines if you don't and there may be repercussions for the seller. The licence isn't just a business to business thing it relates to the product regardless of how it's been purchased or exported, there is no concept of 'personal export' or 'personal use'. Exporting restricted items, and Leup comps are such, without an export licence is a criminal offence in the US.

10. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Ashcombe AGC

Hi geoff

just to inform you that Sightron is lifetime warranty, not sure where you have got the 10 year part from... the IOR benchrest scope only comes down to around 27 yards crystal clear so not ideal.

Sightron have brought out the 45x45 similar to the leup so that will be here soon for me to send out for review.

Regards John

11. custompaint

Club:
    Ashcombe AGC

you can contact us at Optics Warehouse if you would like to pre order one :)

Cheers

John

12. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    As this thread has gone a bit off track.... has anyone heard anything more about the Leupold VX6?

At the Worlds's in Wales the guy from Viking had one and said there were already discussions with Leupold to get the parallax factory adjusted to suit FT.... and that was the last I have heard.

I am almost certain that Leupold want to do no such thing and also the UK price was pretty steep, but I was just wondering if anything came of it, or if Viking ran into a brick wall with Leupold... or never bothered asking.

13. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Looked a promising scope but not at £2800, especially as Leupold had tried to market it in the US without any success.

14. custompaint

Club:
    Ashcombe AGC
    i spoke to them recently and asked the same question, there was no news when or even if that was going to happen. so i wouldn't hold your breath...

15. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Thanks John, I'd say from that response that it's not going to happen.

16. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Leupold have never been bothered about FT which is why Premier set up their boosted Leupold scopes in the 90's to cater for the eager market. I don't think Leupold appreciated having their scopes bastardised as any Premier scope returned to them would be returned in stock condition i.e. no booster or reticle.
    Happened to my Mk.4 despite stickers on the scope and an accompanying letter asking for the Premier mods to be left in place.

17. custompaint

Club:
    Ashcombe AGC
    The Sightron SIII 45x45 has arrived, first impressions are very good, and the weight is only 556 Grams!!

C.Eaton, Adam, RobF and 1 other person like this.
  18. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Just seen them on your website, can't wait to see how they get on if someone adopts early for FT... Do you know if the focus wheel is the same OD as the SIII?

19. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Now that does sound promising. I take it we'll be seeing an unbiased review from a knowledgable person fairly soon? ;)

[​IMG]

20. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Depends on the size of the cheque.