ft scope choice of 2 help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by hotversion, Jun 18, 2012.

1. hotversion

hotversion Member

HI guys n gals,i have a problem...no not that this,ive got money 2gerther now for a proper FT scope,i had a nikko st,nighteater 10 50x60,the thing is ive got my heart set on a new falcon T50 10 50x60 from BAR as am going to blackpool anyway,also as its new i will have a 1year waranty ect,and they seem to have a very good reputation,but i still have a nagging at the back of my mind about buying a second hand dimond????? what do u think.:confused:

2. rich

rich Active Member

I tried a fixed focus Falcon T35 just as an experiment in place of the Mark 1 big Nikko.

Three years later I still have the T35 on the EV2 and the big Nikko got sold without ever going back on the rifle.

3. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    At least one shooter in the NEFTA region bought the new Falcon but has since moved back to a Nikko - he is AA grade so knows what he is talking about.

I can't think of anyone in NEFTA that uses a Falcon so you could have a look through one - that may tell you what you need to know???

I have never looked through a Falcon so cannot comment on it.

Dave.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. Navarone

Navarone New Member

5. hotversion

hotversion Member

re

Ive heard that the nikko is a throw away scope if anything goes wrong with the clicks is that right? if nobody is using them then they cant be anygood,am just worried buying a nikko and then it going wrong on the clicks?

6. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I have not heard of a lot of Nikkos going wrong. I have one that I bought when they first came out and the clicks are still going strong on that one.

The quality of the image can vary so I would suggest trying before you buy if possible but that is not always an option.

I have had quite a few Nikkos and not had any with turret problems - I currently own a Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 so I am not telling you anything that I wouldn't do myself ;)

It would be worth trying a Falcon - I have never looked through one and they may be very good??? I just know that the Nikko will take you wherever you want to go in FT (from club shoots to the world champs if that is what you want).

Dave.

7. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    if nobody is using them then they cant be anygood,

At a guess I would say that at least 25% of FT shooters are shooting the Big Nikko:D

8. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    There must of been quite a few Falcon T50 scopes sold in the past year, Ive never seen any complaints nor any Second hand ones for sale.
    I have one and it does the job well enough.

9. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    I had a look through a T50 compared to my Nikko's. I found it to be not quite as bright, but not much in it. It seemed to have a slightly narrower FOV. I found that the Mildot ret was too thick for me though, much heavier than either of my Nikko rets. Seemed to snap into focus well enough though. I have a Mk2 Nikko (NATO ret) and a Big BSA (identical to Mk1 Nikko) with Target dot ret. I am quite happy with them, especially for what they cost.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

I looked through 1 the other day crystal clear a friend of mine tried it, said it would only go down to 12 yards but even so he is buying one.:)

11. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hello Mr Hotversion, never owned a nikko because i prefer leupold scopes however having spoken to the guy at sales@highlandoutdoors.co.uk the uk distributer he seems a really decent bloke,, i would suggest to speak to him to check after sales support before commiting yourself either way at the end of the day it is in his intrest to help people like yourself a little bit of good will goes a long way.Mr P

12. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    I've got both a Mk3 Nikko, bought new 3 years ago and a T50 thats about 3-4 months old. I used the T50 on an s400 in GP1 this year - scored 30, used my Nikko on my ev2 at Gp3 and scored... 30.
    T50 advantages
    New one £400 with sunshade, caps & guarantee.
    T50 is 10% lighter than the mk3 which is 10% lighter than a mk2, which is lighter than a mk1

Nikko advantages
    Turrets are a better shape if you don't want to spend extra on a big top turret
    Available second hand (but a good one even if it's 10 years old will cost almost as much as a T50)
    Can get mildot or Nato ret which is finer than the T50
    Head position less critical ( but I think thats a disadvantage in the field)

I wouldn't hesitate to use the t50, Jon Harris uses one regularly and won a couple of MFTA WL's last year so they ain't bad.

13. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Ive had my Mk3 Nikko for around two years now and i find it VERY good. I went totally mad around six months ago and bought a March X80 silly money scope, the Nikko is almost as good as the March :eek:
    Ok the optics are better and the build quality is far superior, its also a lot lighter but to be honest for field target a good Nikko is as good as any and better than most scopes out there, get yourself a 50ft Leupold adaptor and you have a scope that will range from 7yds to infinity and repeat it every time. There is no way i would part with mine. Highland outdoors offer a lifetime guarantee too. One guy i know had a problem with his Mk1 Nikko (it was basically worn out) he phoned Highland Outdoors who told him that although they couldn't replace his Mk1 with another Mk1 because they don't make them any more they said to send his scope back plus £100 and they gave him a brand new Mk3! you don't get that sort of service everywhere;)

14. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Know someone whos got a falcon and hes been struggeling getting to grips with rangefinding in different light conditions although all scopes can have theese diff charicteristics the nikko seems a lot more managable and easy to learn ...although cant comment myself only other scope i had was a mtc viper 8 32 50 and it was poop at ranging above 45 yd dint learn owt wi it never looked back wit nikko. They also have a 15 year warranty so long as you have the origional receipt so if buying one second hand its worth asking the seller if they have the receipt from new.