FT rules about sling

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by nachogalan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. nachogalan

nachogalan New Member

Hello everybody! I wanted to ask the pros of this forum about the rules of the use of slings in the forced positions. I don't understand them very well and I would appreciate it if somebody could enlighten
    me.
    Thank you very much in advance!

2. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hola Nacho

The use of a sling in FT has been debated upon this forum many times.

May I suggest that you use the search facility above. Search "sling" and you will find plenty to read.

A summary:
    Very few people use a sling in FT

Regards Shaun

3. nachogalan

nachogalan New Member

Hello Shaun,

Yes you are right I should have used the Search first but I did not want to read the whole history of the sling, just know the explanation of the newest rules about that as we have the Spanish Championship and there is a doubt about the exact use of the sling.

I will do the search and ask back if I have any doubts.

By the way, I am agaisnt the use of slings but if somebody uses it we want them to use it rigth.

Best,
    Nacho

4. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Under BFTA rules you are allowed either a single or double point sling and can use it as you want as long as it remains attached to the rifle at all times. Whether someone does or doesnt like or use them is irrelevant.

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Nacho

What rules does Spain shoot to?

Both the BFTA and the WFTF allow slings and the sling can be fixed in a one or ( maximum ) two postions on the rifle. The only difference I can see is that the BFTA insist the sling is 'attached' to the rifle at all times. Some shooters remove it from the attachment point and leave it dangling over the butt area, when not in use, and this seems fine. The WFTF allows the sling to be unclipped when not in use.

Useful ( a must ) for steadying prone shots but no one really shoots prone. Also useful if you shoot kneelers with the elbow close to the knee so that the upper and lower arm form a 'V'. In that case the sling will bridge across the top of that 'V' and can be used, as it's intended, to take the weight of the rifle, so the muscles of the upper and lower arm are not being stressed by the weight.

Most modern FT shooters have the elbow way back along the thigh with the fore arm resting along the thigh and the wrist slightly forward of the knee. In this style there is no real 'V' made by the upper and lower arm. So a sling attached to the rifle and the upper arm would basically just run along the forearm. It would do little to take the weight of the rifle as the weight of the rifle is supported by the fore arm along the thigh.

Some will say that a sling is useless in FT because targets are at different angles. If the shooter uses the more traditional elbow near knee stance as described above, it is easy to adapt this style for angles and still get an advantage from a sling ( you just adjust the point of contact on the upper arm ).

So most modern FT shooters dont use a sling.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    The WFTF are about to change that rule - if you use a sling, regardless of whether it attaches to your arm with a strap / clip - the sling must remain attached to your rifle for the whole competition (you can unattatch it from your arm, but the other end must remain attached to the gun).

7. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Cheers Bri.

There was a sling epic recently. That's probably what Shaun was talking about. Some guy seemed very keen on being able to unclip the sling from his rifle.

So ( WFTF and BFTA ) ... if you had a sling attached to a handstop at the front ... and you clipped the other end to an arm band around your bicep for kneelers ... you could unclip the extreme end from your arm band and then clip it to an attachment point under the butt whilst you shot the freestyle/standers ... so it wasn't dangling from the front ... or save having it hung over the butt area. It would be attached at all times to the rifle?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. nachogalan

nachogalan New Member

Thank you very much for your answers. I have now my doubt solved. We shoot in spain with the same rules (approx) of the WFTF but I was a little lost in the correct usage of it.
    Thanks again!
    Best regards,
    Nacho

9. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Yup - if you start the competition with it attached, you end the competition with it attached. If it isn't attached at the start you can't add it on later.

How you deal with that is down to you, but what you can't do is have a sling in your bag and then add it to the rifle for standing / kneeling shots and put it back in the bag for the sitting shots.

Basically - if you want the advantage of using a sling for the positionals, you have the disadvantage of it getting in the way for the sitting shots. It's a Ying Yang type thang :D

You can clip and unclip it from your bicep, but one end stays on the gun throughout.

10. Brameldballistics

Brameldballistics New Member

Club:
    Byley
    Just googled WFTA this is in their rules

Rifle accessories allowed

A single rifle sling - no additional straps are allowed.

A sling used to carry the rifle or as a means of steadying the aim. Such a sling shall be attached to the rifle at a minimum of one and maximum of two points when a shot is taken. The sling may be unclipped from the rifle when not in use.

So why is it an issue in the UK?

11. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    It isn't an issue.

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Be aware, that I maintain the WFTF website and update the rules, the rules you have found are soon to be replaced with what I posted above your post.

The WFTF rules will be very similar to the BFTA rules for the next World Championships.

The delay in updating the WFTF Website is due to the fact that we still have some voting to conclude on some of the changes and also because I'm very busy doing something else at the moment. They will be updated in plenty of time for anyone going to Portugal though.

13. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    and my guess is that fewer than 1% of the entrants at the worlds will be using a sling of any description?

14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    It's more common at the Worlds than it is in BFTA events, my guess would be between 5-10%.

But, if you don't use one and don't intend to use one, then you're probably not too interested in what the rules are.

15. Brameldballistics

Brameldballistics New Member

Club:
    Byley
    I'm quite keen to try a single point sling in FT, why would all other shooting disciplines use one if they don't offer any benefits. The only reason I'm put off practicing with one at the minute is all the posts saying they have to be attached to rifle at all times. I think it's people who don't use them, trying to stop there use.

16. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Slings aren't a lot of use to most FT shooters who use the elbow way back along thigh style for kneelers.

If you shoot your kneelers with your elbow close to your knee ( traditional ) then try a sling ... it may help you steady the shot. If you shoot with your elbow back and wrist close to knee ... like most FT shooters ... don't bother as it won't do you much good and you won't have to worry about having a sling attached to your rifle whilst taking the greatest majority of shots sitting/standing.

Turn your statement/question on it's head ...

The top FT shooters will take any advantage to try and gain an extra target as comps can be won and lost on just one target. So if slings were an advantage ... why don't most FT shooters use one?

Sometimes the best conspiracy theory is ... there is no conspiracy.;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  17. Brian.Samson

Club:
    FT is different to other shooting sports. We don't shoot on level ground and we don't shoot at targets that are at a set distance and height. You will need to overcome this difference if you use a sling.

A big part of FT is that it promotes innovation, which is one of the reasons that the rules have some leeway in them and aren't as rigid as some other shooting disciplines. However, whenever possible an innovation that gives an advantage should come with a cost attached.

So for example, if a sling gives you an advantage in the kneeling and standing position, the 'cost' of that advantage for positional lanes is that you need to also leave the sling attached for non-positionals as well.

You can't reconfigure your rifle by adding things and taking them away depending on the lane, you can adjust things, but not add or remove. It's not a conspiracy against people wishing to use a sling, it applies to all rifle add-ons. For example you can't add or remove weights to your rifle or close focus adapter lenses etc during a competition either.

18. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Happy 2k Bri.:D

19. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Yay - reached the 2000 post milestone. Maybe I'll be able to access the For Sale / Wanted section now. Who do I need to ask?

20. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Conor... :D