Ft rule regarding line of fire

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by richos36, Jun 9, 2009.

1. richos36

richos36 Member

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS ON ALL BFTA SHOOTS
    Ft rule regarding line of fire
    http://www.bfta.net/jsite/index.php...-archive&catid=48:competition-rules&Itemid=77

in Main Shoot Rules 2008 (12)

RULE 10 ii

as i have been pulled up on it once :-( but didn`t know about this rule

after that iv`e looked around on shoots and notice alot of shooters go over the line of fire with feet , legs , and heads and shoulders (knees and toes) :D

but seriously you could lose points if someone wanted to point it out on a comp :(

Shaun

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Shaun, It's one of the rules that really needs changing as on the whole it's been ignored for years, they should really change it so it specifies the torsoe should be behind the line, alternatively make an announcement that it will be strictly enforced in future.

3. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hmmm and i thought all FT rules were perfect:eek:, as the way some FT shooters who don't do HFT seem to pick on the rules, so i thought this was because they couldn't find faults with their own:D

Pete

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    dont mention kneeling Pete :D... that's a can of worms in FT as well.

I think there's a number of contributary factors... worn firing points, no marker between lane posts, and even just reaching forward to pull a string for wind... for some reason your foot can end up over the line... and i'm not sure it's for advantage, perhaps just comfort... (is that an advantage though?)

But Pete's right, it needs either enforcing or changing. Trigger behind the line might work better?.. it removes the need for breaking the back to reach for a string.

As well, there used to be something about adding and removing items of clothing, but I can't find it... but i've seen plenty remove and add gloves to suit their position, using them often as a knee pad between gun and knee.
    If that rules still exists though, all you need is a bit of string to remain attached... it should be changed so that the item should be worn at all times as the item is intended to be.

5. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    Rules

I agree with Shaun. Lets take this seasons GP`s for example. Mostly I stop on late and watch the afternoon session go around the course as a spectator. Its then you notice so many BFTA rules being broken not just the foot over the line which is the most common but others as well. I beleive that our sports needs to tighten up in a few areas of rules enforcement. Rules are their to make the sport as fair as it can be for every competitor regardless of grade or ability. What do we change? well thats not for me too dictate but I do feel things need to be tightened up. Whats the best way for this to happen? Its an open forum, start the ball rolling. Hopefully, shooters reading my post can put their views forward and things could and should get done to improve competitive shooting on the circuit.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    dont be coy Andy :D, what have you seen? I know the Neil has made a mention of it on another forum.

having shot both, I think the HFT boys have probably a better grasp/mentality to the rules right down to grass roots, probably because from the outset (or since i've been shooting them) the rules have been drummed in from the top down.

I think the problem with FT is that it's become blasé with the rules that shooters feel don't give an advantage, or because of the grading, doesn't affect them.

Clocks is another one. I'll put my hand up and say that i've started it late etc, mostly being distracted by banter later on the course when concentration wanders. But I like being under the clock... i like to know where I am on time, and it actually upsets my routine on a timed shoot if i don't hear 1min being called out. Really sends me off when i'm on positionals because that's when you like to know what time you have to play with.

Kneeling is always a pain. It's very easy to break the rules without realising it, by sitting a large bean bag a tad or by letting that fore-end touch the arm. It's also a pain because some people's positions and clothing make it difficult to see... a baggy coat makes the forearm difficult to see if it's touching, and same with the backside touching the bag.

I guess the question is really how the policing should go... do we want rule nazi's running around or do we just want quiet words in ears? Thing is, your going to be spending 2-3 hours with your partners... i'd prefer it be enjoyable rather than prickly... but then rules are rules.

Perhaps it needs mentioning to Tony/Roger and they can see what they can come up with?

7. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    Rules

o.k Rob everything you said in your last post is correct and well explained. Do we just carry on then? It`s o.k to cheat? No, I dont think you think it is for a minute. So lets try and implement a few changes into FT that improves the standard of up-holding the rules. Lets start by making sure all competitors know the rules. Hand them out at the beginning of the competition or have them post at booking in station. We know whats wrong put forward some suggestions to improve it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  8. richos36

richos36 Member

This years winter league wil be my 3rd year shooting (2nd year in GP`s but only shot 2 last year) and I never looked at the BFTA rules :eek: till some one pointed out the firing line rule
    I just went on others information (word of mouth)
    I think all BFTA clubs should issue all new members with a copy of the rules even if they are not intending to shoot comps
    Then if like me they decide to shoot comps at least they will know the rules :D

roll on Newbury :D :D

shaun

9. richardio123

richardio123 Member

I was told the trigger had to be behind the line??????

r

10. richos36

richos36 Member

thats HFT mate I thought the same till i looked at the rules :eek: well someone told me to look at the rules :eek: :eek:

shaun

11. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I'm with Shaun & Andrew on this one too think that a copy of the rules should be avalible to all shooters at all BFTA related comps.I only looked at the rules in depth when i read this post ?
    What about incorporating it into the score card some how so it folds :confused:
    Or may be the rules could be put into a pocket type book & issued when you get your BFTA card surely a small laminated rule book won't cost the earth ????
    Interesting what Rob said about kneelers anyone know of any pictures froma side elevation that show a perfect non rule breaking position.
    I'm all for an even playing field !Rules are good but we are doing this to enjoy the sport too :D
    Well done Andrew by the way on the Anglo win you are now my official Hero blown Neil out !:D

12. richos36

richos36 Member

have a look here scott mr doe does ft on youtube :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa7ODrtWMY

and here on codnor web site in rules under ft rules http://www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr/

shaun

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  13. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Cheers Shaun, well at least i'm ok with kneelers :D
    Just had another look at the BFTA rules & it could be condensed into a smaller format i'm sure or like i mentioned before bullet point the main technicallity rules such as fireing line,kneelers,standers,chronograph etc .
    And most importantly safety !

14. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

HFT is a lot easier, break the rules and we feed you to Big Vinny :eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

15. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    big hole being dug

now i think that if you play any game of anything do you not look at the intructions on how to play first before starting:D

maybe its an inbuilt thing in men never look at instruction booklet. :eek:

The rules of the game we are playing are there for all to read and print off i know alot of clubs have a copy for members to look at.

As for those that see a rule breaker SPEAK UP at the time not whine and gossip later. Id rather someone said id done something wrong at the time(dont know how they can as im always right :p) Than make a fuss later.
    Thats how rules stay enforced and dont lapse. There is nothing wrong with the ones we have maybe we all could do with a re read every so often just to keep from making little errors into big ones.

loopyloo ;)

16. rich

rich Active Member

And as it's supposed to be a sport, something we do as relaxation and for amusement, if we see a rule being broken let's say to the person - hey, I think you're breaking a rule - before they take the shot, instead of - hey, you can't have that one, you broke a rule - afterwards.

17. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC

With you on that, 99% of the time a tactfull word in the ear surfices when a lot of the time, for better or worse people simply didnt know or notice.

18. mistthebugger

mistthebugger I came, I saw, I missed..

19. richos36

richos36 Member