FT rig help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by scutter, Jun 29, 2011.

1. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello All,

As some of you may know, I am a HFT shooter through and through, however, I am going to be writing a few FT article for Airgunner in the coming months and I thought it would be a good idea to learn a bit about the sport before putting pen to paper.

I am of the opinion that the best way to learn, is to get out there and have a go and with this in mind, I have got myself a FT rig. I have a Ar20FT and a big Nikko 10-50x60 mk111 (green turrets).

So apart from the scope and gun and a bean bag what else will I need to shoot FT and what sort of zero would you chaps recommend?

Thanks

Gary

2. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Pellets mate!!!

Good Luck

3. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

git.... :D:D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    I thought avoiding the zeros was the whole point of the thing!

Im not really helping you am I, I think us jocks are just going to adopt you as our pet sassenach!

Never cross a scotsman in print, we are devious!

5. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Have you seen the article yet?

6. shaun eustace

shaun eustace Member

Club:
    Maldon and District (MAD)
    Zero

and what sort of zero would you chaps recommend?

Thanks

Gary[/QUOTE]

I thought that the FT chaps dialed in on every target?

Have you spoken to the lads at Springfield yet? They are all good blokes and may entertain you for a day if you asked really nicely..

7. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I think they adjust their parallax to range find, but I think they still use hold over and holdunder.

8. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The vast majority dial in the range after using the parallax wheel to range the target

9. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Cheers Pete

10. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Pile cream

Pete

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Springfield ?

The best and easiest thing to do is to come over to Springfield ARC with nick and dave . you can ask the questions and get the answers . try all the latest kit . without having to buy it . plus there is a permanent FT course out 7 days a week ??? HOLLY

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    May also be worth getting to the GP at Iceni in a few weeks time if you want to meet the cream of FT (and Holy) ;)

13. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I think Richard Woods is going to take me down to Springfield at some point. What I am trying to do at the moment is get a general idea of what I need for FT.

I have the gun and the scope and I have seen how to take a sitting shot, but apart from that I know stuff all. I have been told that you can take shots prone, but you have to shoot off the elbows and you cant touch the peg, is that true?

14. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Gary, if you want a cheat stick (extra leg rest) I'll bung the one I have in the post to you to have a try of.:)

15. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!

Hi Gary,

Just out of interest what angle is your article going to be coming from about Field Target Shooting?

Personally I believe that ‘good press coverage in the mags about FT is a positive step forward.

Would it be a good idea for you to shadow an experienced competitive FT shooter? Someone who has shot constantly for many years and has experienced the changes within the sport.

Maybe they could offer some words of wisdom and advice from the point of how they started and have developed to their current high level of shooting.

Gary what made you choose your FT rifle and scope with no previous experience, would you have just bought an HFT combo without trying different options first or is this the most popular kit for FT shooting?

Atb,
    Justin

16. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    A spirit level.
    A feather on a string.
    As in HFT, a long list of excuses.

:D

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Oh ?

Dear god this will take all night ? 1/ you . kit for you . good goretex boots with a low heel for sitters and a good pair of woolen socks . ( you wil be shooting for about three hours at a GP ) . a good pair of waterproofs , not to tight . a good fleece and a hooded sweatshirt ( to stop the sun bleeding down your scope ) a base ball hat with peak . a shooting glove for your gun hand . a decent pellet pouch for your pellets and your range lifts for your close targets . 2/ gun and scope . your rifle is your choice , but it must have weight to counteract the nerves and be the best you can afford . your scope likewise should strectch the pocket . check em out they go from about £250 up to three thousand pounds . you need high mag to rangefind on and clarity to see the dark targets .you have a choice between mil dots and dialing . dots are quicker but dialing is more accurate and gives you something to think about except . " i am gonna miss this long one and every body is looking " windicators , level bubbles , butt hooks , lifters and so on . like i say .come on down the club and we will run you through it , without you having to look like a wally ??? HOLLY

18. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello Justin,

The FT article will be part of the beginners guide series that will be starting in AG next month. I was sent the Ar20 and scope, because I will be reviewing them and using them as my FT set up.

I like the idea of using a seasoned shooter and I will be interviewing Richard Woods who is a AA grade FT shooter and a team mate of mine at Maldon. The piece will be positive and I wanted to do it, as I have recently felt that I talk so much about HFT, it should be only fare to give FT some good press.

Gary

19. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    It's about time the airgun mags had some comedy :rolleyes:

20. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Would it not be better to use a current seasoned FT shooter to do the article instead of an HFT-er who will need to shoot FT for several years to get the experience so he can write about it?

I'm just off now, got to tell Jeremy Clarkson how the new Aston Martin handles so he can extol it's virtues first hand :rolleyes: