FT question ranging in light and dark conditions using focal depth

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simmmo, Dec 2, 2010.

1. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

Sorry chaps not a FT shooter so have no idea to the answer to this question, noticed in the March thread the mention of ranging dark targets and the ranges coming up wrong don't know which scope, but won't ranging in dark conditions affect all scopes when ranging by focal depth? Or should dark and light make no difference.

Andy

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Old Eyes

I believe all scopes do it to some degree the better the glass the less it is effected also how you eyes react to a change in light has a big part in it , the older and slower your eyes come into focus is a part of the change in ranging.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

have made similar enquieries myself, as it doesnt seem to matter what scope I use I always range a bit short if I'm observing into gloomy/dark woods etc!
    having heard several people complain of the same phenomenon with different scopes I was wondering if it had more to do with your eyes and pupil size changing the focal depth, never really got to the bottom of it but we had a very good disertation from Rob on here if you do a search for it!

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Flannel

It is all flannel mate . smoke and mirrors .experts ,sexperts . all you need is a decent scope and experience and practice . you will not do any better with a three grand scope than you would with a three hundred pound scope . don't put the scope next to the barrel for FT . that is for HFT .get some risers and lift the scope ( and the cheek piece ) three and a half inches from the barrel . line of sight to line of flight . this will flatten the trajectory further out where you need it most . admittedly it makes it a bit harder close in . but easily sorted . then just practice . i have not missed a target for range in years . ??? HOLLY

5. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Never mis-ranged???

So if you havent missed a target in years through range then how have you missed all those targets over the years Holly??? Just wondered haahaahaa....

Berty

6. Jon

Jon Member

Got a point there Berty:D

Trajectory is exactly the same whatever the scope height is.
    2 clicks less for 1" extra height at 55 yards only because zero is further out, my case 25 to 30 instead of 22 to 25 yards, that being the 2 clicks.

With the 80 March it would be so minimal as in inches, max error +/- 3/4 yard or its out of focus what ever the lighting. It would affect the 10-60 though if no detail there.

White used to come in 1 yard sooner with an old 1994 Tasco mark1, learn it.

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Simple berty . i listerned to you ??? HOLLY:D

8. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Thats my boy

Holly,

It has to be said Im glad you did, would I ever lie to you Holly......Oh hell yeah haahaa...

Berty

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Lighting etc

To be honest, I dont look into the technical side of ft with the scopes, Im more the type of person if its does the job then Im happy, Ive stuck with a fixed 36 mag Weaver for the last 5 years and in the dark I have struggled with losing the ret sometimes. The quality of the optics are great but when you lose the ret theres not alot you can do about it. It has only ever happened a few times though. Mainly at Weston park at the Euros.

With the march, I havent had chance to shoot dark targets as yet but when I set the scope up it was getting dark up the club. The March even with limited light was so easy to set up due to the quality of the lenses and the ret being so easy to use and not to lose. Several people have said the ret is very fine
    (MTR-1), compared to the weaver it is great to use.

On 80 mag the sight will be a bit darker just down to the amount of power your using. You can rangefind on any of the ranges on the scope and will be pretty damn close whichever you use. At Millride I used 80 mag on some of the targets and on the 2 kneelers when shooting them then.

Alot of it is down to the quality of the glass I dont care what anyone says to be fair. Fingers crossed the March scope will do me for a long time to come......

Berty

10. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

Quality multi coated lenses = better light transmission so therefore extending shooting at dusk so the better the glass the longer you should be able to rangefind correctly/as the scope was set up for?

The reason I am asking you boys/girls who rangefind optically is to confirm what I think I am seeing on my low mag scope in HFT is that targets blurr differently in low light dark locations.

Andy

11. rich

rich Active Member

How much of that is down to the pupil being wide open in low light, I don't know.

12. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    :D:D:D
    Come on Holly what are you now 67/68 your eye sight is well passed its best so the better the glass the better the range finding. :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

13. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    For once Holly is not talking total B********s the bit where he said all you need is a decent scope and experience and practice is pretty much on the money you do need good optics but that will not make you a champion, i used to shoot with a guy called John Brisco and he would go to the club to practice he would sit and range find rather than just throwing lead down range after all if you have not got a pretty good idea as to how far a target is you ARE only throwing lead down range.Mr P

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Age .

Yep 67 now . BUT it really does not make any difference . what makes the difference is EXPERIENCE . i bought my old lupe MK4 back from the geezer i sold it to , last year . now the 32 mag lupe is still good for FT . all right there are better scopes nowadays . but i could still use it pretty well , even with my knackered eyes . cos i now know what happens with scopes in light and heat . cos i shoot in all kinds of weather and places . so i have EXPERIENCE . good kit , plus experience = good shooting = wins . simple like old ripleysniper ??? HOLLY

15. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    To Be fair for an old southern git on your day you get very lucky (Or Maybe you where telling the truth for once experiance is worth a lot of targets on a day with bad conditions no matter what they are either tricky wind or tricky light conditions Go Practice)

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Let me give you an example .

Last year i think it was ( or the year before ) at a GP OOOOP north .near manchester . just off the motorway , at a fishing club i think it is . ponds and such . never an easy shoot , it was a windy day and dark as the inside of mr paige's wallet ? . i was shooting with james woodhead . a fella who knows his way around a GP course . you know when shooting with a top shot that it is gonna turn into a battle and so it was . with james taking an early lead by two in the first 5 lanes . but i kept plugging away and stayed with him two back . then we got to the windy bit halfway down . open and dark . made darker by some really black clouds coming over . james was having touble finding the kills with his burris and missed two . even stevens . then as we got towards the end of the strip wood he missed another couple and more or less gave up . i gritted what teeth i have left and kept plugging away .i ended up with a 43 i think it was and qualified . better shots did not do so well . cos they gave up . sod it . to dark to wet to windy .experience told me to keep at it . a bad day is a bad day for us all . my 20+50 lupe saw through the darkness . my anshutz looked after me in the dodgy conditions . experience+good kit =good shooting . ??? HOLLY

17. Jon

Jon Member

Wouldnt have called that one at Byley windy or dark Holls, just normal every day shooting.

18. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    its his cataracts john!:D

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Oh right , so you were in the shoot off with mr taylor was you ??? HOLLY

20. Jon

Jon Member

That statement has nothing to do with your quoted windy or dark, it was neither.