FT PCP and Spring setups

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simps, Nov 12, 2013.

1. simps

simps New Member

Be really grateful for some advice!!!!
    I'm looking at either a used or Steyr 110FT or the new AA FTP900. Which seem to be about £1500. Once and for all which is the better gun :). I have read 30 posts on various sites favouring one or other. Right now the choice seems to be between a new gun or a lighter more compact gun.

For a scope i want the march 10-60 but as its considerably outside my £1000 budget! So its the Sightron or the big Nikko? Sightron is about £300 more but is that money well spent??
    What's the best matching mounts for these, found it tricky to find any recommendations. I'm still reading up on which reticle but that seems to be down to taste and availability.

Finally on the springer setup I was thinking of a tx200hc or a HW97k with a venom kit (unless there is a better tuner for FT?). I had a prosport but didn't get on with how it cocked so think one of the big 2 underlever unless there is a rare and wonderful other gun I missed like a theoben?

Big uncertainty is the scope. I would ideally want something that suits the gun and would be great for HFT up to about £500.

I realise a lot depends on individual feel but I would really appreciate views on a few greats so I can narrow the search. I am assuming that unless you know the scope well 2nd hand is not the way to go??

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Regarding the springers,

The TX200 (not HC) is the better rifle out of the box, it responds well to tuning and is very easy to work on, I personally prefer the Rekord trigger on the HW, the TX trigger can be a real pain to set up, and the HW is very good once tuned, so if your going down the modified route I would recommend a HW77/97 with V-Glide internals from V-Mach.

As for the scope, there's nothing to beat a Bushnell Elite 8-32x40 on a springer for FT at sub £500, put it on Sportsmatch ATP55 mounts and you have loads of room to load, unlike the use of a Nikko or Falcon, it's also light and balances nicely on a HW77/97.

HFT a lot of the guys use the 10x44 Viper and 10x42 Menace.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Amongst the top flight rifles there's just a difference of opinion about what is best. All have their foibles or problems, yet others run without them. The FTP 900 is a new rifle, so i'm not sure there will be much on the ground feedback, i'm not even sure it's in production yet.

The scope is down to budget... there's the falcon t50 which fits neatly within yours or you can go down the second hand route. You can down mag it for HFT use. My suggestion is try before you buy, but not think about spending £1000's because scope choice can be a personal thing, and i think it's better to buy something cheaper and learn and work with that, rather than jumping in the deep end money wise only to find out there's more to hitting targets than the kit.

4. simps

simps New Member

Thanks very much for the replies.

I hope to buy kit in a job lot from one supplier if possible and get a better deal.
    Finance wise I did a lot of research on resale values so its more about being comfortable with my potential losses during a learning period.

When I first got into motorbike racing the advice was to try before buying. I did this but unfortunately I didn't know enough to tell the difference and even then often there was kit that flattered a beginner so they would orientate towards that. I ended up buying the wrong bike due to a lack of knowledge but I stuck with it long enough to learn how to ride around the issues and got a few trophies in my rookie year.

I use the mentality that I will buy kit that others can win with and which has a decent resale so if I know it doesn't suit me I can sell and move on with an educated decision. But once you start blaming the bike as to why you are slower than the next guy, or here I assume blame the kit why you aren't hitting the target then its becomes a very very expensive game chasing the next thing to help you win.

Won't suit everyone its a route in life that works for me. Other thing is its likely the PCP will sit in the car until I become successful with the recoiling springer. Great motivator!

5. RobF

Club:
  6. simps

simps New Member

Is this due to barrel length because I read that this slight difference in length has little impact on accuracy, apparently anshultz did a test and it didn't make a difference. Or are the inner workings different. I would really like a smaller rifle but will now down to better judgement.

7. simps

simps New Member

Thanks! Very helpful.

For HFT I read the EB Sniper 10x42 is about as good as any but can't find where to buy one?

8. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Springers being somewhat odd recoiling rifles are more hold sensitive than most types of firearm , there's a sort of double "bounce" to a springer, first the rifle reacts to the piston being released then the piston hits a compressed cushion of air just before the pellet starts moving rebounding the piston slightly, then the piston continues forward and this is happening whilst the pellet is still accelerating up the barrel!

So follow through is critical, this makes balance critical, the shorter HC has a more pronounced muzzle flip which can make them more hold sensitive in different positions, also the full length is easier to cock.

I did tests a few years back with four different length barrels on a Webley Vulcan, group size and velocity showed very little difference but the shorter barrels made consistency more difficult, I also discovered this to be true of the HC vers Full length on the TX, I suppose you coul use a muzzle weight to balance the HC rifle but the Tx200 shoots brilliantly right out of the box so why bother, there's hardly any difference in handling or weight in reality!

9. simps

simps New Member

wow! ok I get it now!

10. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Isn't there still only two in the "real" world at the moment?

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Whoa , stop ?

Stop , Stop . GO TO A CLUB . spend nothing till you have a chance to have a look and a go at the rifles and scopes . your in london . go to Springfield ARC out at ongar . Phil there ( the sec ) has a Steyr and a Sightron . Barry the chairman . has a Steyr and a big nikko ( plus one of every thing you can think of ) there are anschutz , air arms in use . also they have a strong HFT set up . there are always good secondhand kit for sale , either at the club or in the region . DON'T BUY NEW TO START WITH . it is not like brands hatch . in FT it is try before buy ,not buy before try . at springfield you can do that . shooters are proud of there kit and most will let you have a go with it . that way you can get at least an idea of what is what ??? HOLLY:):D

12. simps

simps New Member

Hi Holly, thanks for the response. I am sure over the last 2 months researching I must have read 50 or more of your posts and similar advice to others.
    I would not suggest you are wrong but from a clinical statistical perspective I doubt that trying any kit with my level of experience would reduce the likelihood of me buying the wrong stuff for my eventual style.

Think about it, how many people do you know or post have you read where people are buying new kit to improve scores, selling kit because they can't get on with it, saying one is better than the other etc etc. and these are people with 10 yrs experience. Can someone with little experience really know what suits them?

I know try before you buy sounds right but I don't think there are any guarantees. I am happy researching and looking for the best deal. I am sensible and sure my budget is enough to buy kit that will out perform me for years but equally if it all goes wrong I will see 2/3rds back from new price. I am def open to used (steyr) but would soon tire of regulator issues (evo) I have read about on these guns. Also very cautious about used optics but perhaps I am wrong.

13. RobF

Club:
    When looking at optics for FT, for me the main priority is for a scope to be able to tell 50 & 55 apart, next for it to do it consistently, and then it's down to useability. So in that respect that's what I'd be looking at before I bought. Then you have the eternal option of going 2nd hand or new.

With regards to guns, I think each one has had it's woes, but a well behaving gun will perform to the same degree as any other. With that aside it comes down to reliability, fit and backup for me.

14. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    In a way I can see both Simps and Holly's points, in some ways it's best to dive in and getting involved and just pray to the pellet gods that you get on with your purchase and it behaves itself but if it goes the other way, well...

15. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Any gun can have issues...inc steyr's!! ..as for the ftp900, it isn't released yet and doubt it will be for 2013' ..had no issues with my ev2, I'd also agree with holly..try diff guns down at a local club and see what works for YOU ;)

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    How

No FT is a kit based sport . just like racing . the difference is that you can try em all before you buy em . as a beginner in the sport all you can do is listen to shooters ( not always a good idea .) watch em . then try the kit that attracts you . as an example you go to a shoot and you see cliffy on here doing well with his twenty fifty lupe . you ask him him if you can look through , you do , he explains the pros and cons . you then see woody doing well with his sightron . same thing again , same with rob and his march , you then have experience . not some doughbag in a mag who will get the scope for free if he puts in a good report . with FT you have to try it . there is no other way . does it fit , will you need an after market stock . does the scope work for you . is the scope high enough , low enough and so on , and on . it will not cost you money to go to a club . Springfield / bisley . and have a look and talk to shooters . you can only reseach so far . you must try em . anyway , done my best . good luck and hope to see you in the winter league ??? HOLLY

17. simps

simps New Member

Thanks again Holly and I certainly get your point of view.

Seen a few good deals for an S&B 12.5-50x56 which would cost me about the same as the sightron. But... after reading up a bit too much it seems that they have "character" on the cooler days.

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    don't

Don't get carried away by posh name scopes . March , S&B . very nice indeed , but over the distance of 55 yards that they have to work . they are only slightly better at ranging than an old BSA platinum at about £ 250 to £ 300 . yes the optics are better and the march would be lighter . probably more reliable if you intend to do the GPs you need reliable kit . have a look at a MK3 or MK4 EV2 . the secondhand price now should be coming down due to the PT coming out at christmas i believe .put a good Big Nikko MK3 on top and with a bit of luck you might get one in a wilson or Kane stock . you have all you need to go to the top . or at least till you know whats , what . then you can sell at no loss and buy your dream outfit . out on the circuit there are rifles that will make your mouth water . but quite often they are beaten by a springer . i was told go to a club , good advice then and good advice now ??? HOLLY:D

19. simps

simps New Member

Ok so the gun situation is now sorted but I am still a bit unsure about the big scope for FT.

I have continued to read and the more I read the more I know these are quite polarizing with lots of opinions. That said I think that I would like to start with variable mag so either a Mk3 Nikko or a Sightron Piii looks to be a very good starting place.

Any advice on what type of reticle is the most popular in FT or which would be the best to start with?

20. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Big nikko ret

If you go for a big nikko,i would say the Nato ret is the more popular of the 2.
    Nice fine reticle with good reference point's sideway's and downwards,very useful for staying within 1 rotation of the top turret.
    Milldot's seem to be too big for me,much prefer the Nato