1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FT & HFT can you be good at both?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by All That Remains, Jul 1, 2009.

1. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

Folks

My club has started doing SFT as part of the FT club league and I am doing it as practice for HFT. Having noticed some very familiar names doing SFT at the Newbury BFTA round (good work Steph) I started to wonder how people are doing their SFT.

I do SFT exactly as I would HFT (often with more kneelers as prone shots are not always considered when course building) no touching of my scope and no sitting, but how do others do it?

My main concern with doing FT properly is that it will be detrimental to my HFT with regard to being able to sit and range find (and see targets at 8 yards!), I know a few really good FT shooters that can t range find (without twiddling the scope) for toffee.

Can a shooter be really good at both?

Any Thoughts?

Janine T :D

2. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi Janine

There are a few shooters who do both, but you will find they are good at one and average or below at the other, there's only 2 i can think of who are pretty good at both and thats Pete Dutton and Tim Finley.

Pete

3. Feral

Feral New Member

I can be equally bad without favour in both does that count?

4. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

Thanks Chaps

I had better stick to HFT then, I have a lot of work to get better at that and I am far from being exceptional. Wonder if it would help to have a split personality:p

Janine

5. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

What do you mean "IF" you had a split personality. :D

6. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

I believe you need to concentrate on one if you wish to really improve - if you divide your time it will not work for both (generalisation I know - there are some gifted buggars around)

ATB

Phil

7. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

You can do both to a similar standard if you give both equal time throughout the year. I tend to do FT through the winter and HFT through summer. What I found was that at the beginning of each respective season I'd be pretty poor at each discipline. My scores would ramp up just as the season was coming to a close. Then it was back to square one with the other discipline.:eek:;) It's a select band that can do both to an excellent standard. I'd go so far as saying that there aren't that many that can do both to the same standard even if that standard isn't particularly good!:D
    SFT should be a different ball game and I can't see why many HFT shooters don't give it a bash, especially when they are members of clubs that do both FT and HFT. Yes, it's not perfect practice for HFT but, at very least, it'll give some rangefinding practice. If you don't want to play to achieve maximum scores then you could do most of it kneeling and get some serious kneeling practice in.

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Can't speak for others only myself, SFT don't interest me at all, if i did go along i would rather enter the FT than the SFT, its not even practice for HFT really.
    Their was some bullshit floating around that we didn't do it as we seen it as a threat to HFT:confused: But what some don't realise is after a quest from the BFTA for an amalgamation was turned down, we were asked would we mind if they started SFT and we never had or have a problem with it, but like me there are quite a few lads that it doesn't float thier boat.

Pete

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I reckon there's a lot to be learnt from both disciplines. At the weekend, the size of the kills told me I was out on my new ranges and that something was wrong. A few months ago I thought about bracketing ranges, just to see if it would be of benefit... it could have been. There's loads of other benefits as well to doing both, in their native format.

As for being good, yep, I reckon you can, really good? If your really good at one, with a few years of experience you could probably be good at both, but it would be dismissive of the skill of the top shooters to say you could just roll on into their domain without considerable effort. I'd reckon it would mean you'd be shooting an away comp every weekend, for perhaps 2 years to be top 10 in both...even if you were top 10 in the other first. A few years ago i'd say it would have been easier, but both formats have become competitive to a high degree to the extent where I reckon it would take a year (inc winter league) just to get you running... and you'd need to hit the ground running, have 2 rigs that were on the money, and a bit of luck to do it in both.

Saying that, the paper target shooters will shoot air and .22, but that's probably a little easier as you can shoot paper comps more easily during the week. However, after a couple of years i'm now finding that i need to work hard at 10m to progress, and time is becoming a factor... and I know FT will win that battle. (so we'll have to leave gold up to James Huckle i'm afraid... :D)

10. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    what a cheek. ive never been so insulted in all my life!!
    :eek:
    dop

11. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    me too on a good day