"FT" guns in HFT

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Knockedover, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

In one of the comics this month on the letters page someone has written in and asked if HFT is losing its way due to the amount of EV2s, Steyrs, Walthers, etc that many shooters now use. Normally the question wouldn't interest me at all but this time Airgunner has seen fit to use an image of me using my Steyr to illustrate the point in hand:rolleyes: Personally I don't care what anyone uses be it an "FT" gun or otherwise, a gun is a gun is a gun. An S200 in the right hands will show "FT" gun shooters the way time after time as will a springer, Jon Budd and Clive Turner for example. So whats the excuse then for the animosity towards other shooters? Are they better than you? Have more money than you? Bigger penis than you?:D I don't get it myself.....at the end of the day the better shooter will triumph regardless of equipment....Whats the forum members thoughts on this??

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I have sent in an answer to the piece. this is it

" Dear J&R I have been shooting HFT for 4 years now a regularly take part in the UKAHFT series, I have taken over 10.000 HFT pictures in the last 4 years and as such have seen every gun there is. Your email raises three points,

Q. Should we allow high end target rifles into HFT?

A. The most popular rifle in HFT is still the Air Arms S400, yes there are more target rifles appearing, but HFT is about including anyone with a safe sub 12ftlb rifle whether it is a SMK or a Steyr.

Q, Perhaps the rule makers should revisit the hunting concept and only allow hunting guns

A. Please define a hunting gun? My Daystate Mk3 is a target rifle, but it also comes with a 10 shot mag and has dispatched many a bunny. In my opinion, if you are taking an animals life, your rifle of choice should be the most accurate weapon in the world.

Q. Once telescopics sights have been set they should not be moved.

A, I agree, and this is the rule in HFT, Once you have taken your first shot, you must not touch your scope.

You also state that you do not believe that anyone with a out and out target rig would drag it out hunting, Again I disagree. I know many a HFT shooter, one with a walther costing £2000 and one with a Styre of the same value who use these weapons to hunt.

Hope this helps

Gary"

It is a nice pic of you though Vin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Although I shoot FT not HFT (although looking to have a go) as far as I can see it, if the rifle, be it an S200 or an LG300 complies with the rules and is legal, then what is the issue?

4. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    s200 has the same barrel as ev2 and allso the s200 is a junior target rifle been converted for air arms,personaly you want the most accurate gun for hunting and target shooting buy wot u can afford:confused:

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

It's a travesty and only one make of rifle should be allowed which doesn't cost more than £150 including the 4x mag scope. Curse those millionaire overly well endowed target rifle shooters. I guess it's somebody who's never shot HFT as there's no way I'd put my hunting rifles through half of what my Walther goes through!

Ryan

6. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Funny enough i seen this myself and once he mentioned not allowing adjusting the scope as normal, sussed this bloke never been to a comp.

What people forget is that when our version of HFT started the quote was "from a Gat to an EV2" in other words you can use what you want.

IMO people who moan that "Target" guns shouldn't be allowed is just an excuse why they got beat.

Pete

7. raygun

raygun Non member

Letter to a mag.

Not worth bothering with. HFT is a target sport that has it's rules, refined over time. I dare say they will still be changed to improve the sport.

The sport is very successful which in itself is the best advert it could have. I'm a bit surprised that the mag would print such a letter. Maybe they didn't have that many :D

It does perhaps show that there is a need for education in the direction of the magazine concerned.

ATB
    Ray.

8. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Well what do you expect with Chilli being their HFT writer!!!:p:D

9. D Martin

D Martin Non member

What I find most when reading articles and posts regarding HFT is the HUNTER bit seems to be fixed in peoples minds.HFT isn't hunting, it's a target sport as is FT just with different rules.It is the shooting positions, none adjustment of parallax and mag, distances where HFTers have to estimate the range then use hold over/under and overcome eye and target postioning e.t.c that make the difference between that and FT not so much the kit, oh and HFTers have a good sense of humour:D(only kidding);)
    If somebody wanted to go hunting with say an EV2 with a high mag scope, sit on a beanbag and rangefind then this would be exceptable so why call it a target rifle ? If the same person wanted to then have a go at HFT with the same rifle (providing it was within the ruling of HFT) then why would this then be called an FT rifle ? If the same rifle was then used in an FT competition the following week would it then be called an HFT rifle because it had been used in an HFT competition ? Does it really matter ?
    Like has been said if the person behind the trigger can shoot then the result will be the same no matter what he uses and if not then no amount of expensive kit will change the result.

Dave

Thought they would have saved that photo for the Halloween edition by the way Vinny;):D:D:D

10. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

I think any rifle in the right hands has the potential to be a winner regardless of the price tag. I also think to many people miss the fact that hft brings shooters together not just in competition but in friendship and in social circles. I have at the UK rounds witnessed total strangers borrow out expensive rifles to some one who's kit has gone down, people work on other people's rifles for nothing and as always there is always plenty of advice and banter to be had. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and have fun, of course there is a serious side to the competition but I have shot rounds with some of the top shots and they have given me nothing but honest tips and cracking company on the way round, and let me use there kit.

11. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Only recently got into HFT and never had a go at FT. Main difference between the two is shooting position and scope choice. scope choice being dictated by the rules that no adjustment can be made after first shot has been taken. Doesn't make any difference what gun you use for either discipline as long as the person holding it can accurately shoot it. I can see how someone who can't afford to spend £2000+ on a rig can be jealous of someone who can. If you can't shoot it matters not a jot how much your rig costs, you'll still be a crap shot. My gun is a AA S400 GML and in the right hands will equal, or dare I say beat, most guns for accuracy in either discipline. The only thing that let's it down is the person holdig/shooting it..............me!

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Quote: "You also state that you do not believe that anyone with a out and out target rig would drag it out hunting"

I can honestly say that I have shot comps in rain, snow and wind that would have any sane hunter closing the curtains and getting back into bed :)

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    likewise :D

perhaps what it needs is an article about how an s200 or 400 is just as accurate as a whatever, in the right hands.

i know at 25m my hw97 is just as good as grouping as my walther... never really tried it further out on paper. But I guess that mr fisher's 77 must work as well...

perhaps a letter about how HFT guns are making a comeback in FT... :D

14. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    It's been done, In AGW. Kieran Turner and Chris C shot a s200 against a Styre and the S200 was just as good if memory serves.

15. RobF

Club:
    oh well, you can lead a horse...

16. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Well these FT rigs mean you don't ever miss.:rolleyes: I don't know how Pete and Sparky separate out all the 60/ex60s to sort out the placings. :D

I shoot a Pro T and I'd happily bet on the outcome of me with my FT rifle versus Kieran with an S200. Given the odds I'd get on the sensible bet mind you, I'd not make much extra over getting my stake back. :eek::D

17. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    it goes to say most guns iver have walther barrels,bsa match barrels,s200 cz match and ev2 has cz match grade barrels ,they all hav match grade barrels and ive been rabbiting with my shiny steyr up the golf coarse ft set sat and bang them off because the poor rabbit think im a golfer with a club in my hand,you go cammo up they sense danger because you different to wot the golfer looks like:eek::eek::eek:

18. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

What exactly is an FT gun anyway:confused:? I can think of only a very few rifles that were designed specifically with FT in mind. The EV2 springs to mind but even that has origins way back to the RN10/RWS CA100, which may or may not have been designed with 10m in mind, depending on which you understand to have come first.
    Steyrs, Walthers and the like certainly don't qualify as they are nothing more than adapted 10m rifles.

19. RobF

Club:
    damn you and your sense :D

I think the GC2 is the only one Dale came up with when we had this conversation in SA.

20. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

My humble apologies.;):p

Aye, that would certainly count as one of the few. I wonder if one or two of the Ripleys might also count?
    Can't think of many more though, maybe the USFT in the States?