FT gun query

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Deleted member 4175, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Deleted member 4175

Deleted member 4175 Non member

hi I think my godson (13years old) maybe interested in starting to shoot FT :D

I have been looking at my finances and can prob afford to buy a 2nd hand nikko in a week or 2 (if I can find 1 for £400- £450)

I cant afford to get him a gun though so the only gun I have he could probably use is my R10

I could afford a gun but that would mean me having to sell some of my other guns but not sure I want to do that

anyway to the point now I have outlined the basics
    will the R10 be ok for him and anything I should maybe try and have done to it 1st

my only other options would be to sell stuff to fund him a rig, but I like my wonky TX and I like having multiple dive bottles and loads of other stuff I cant justify :)

anyway only really after advice as not set up a youngster for shooting FT and after some advice on how best to approach it

2. Deleted member 4175

ok scrapping plans decided its not going to be straight forward to adapt the R10 so going to have a sort out of my cupboard and then look for maybe a ev2 with big nikko package for him :)

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I have been through this with my son.

A lot depends on your Godson's build, at 13 my lad was quite small, so a Pro-T with Nikko on would have flattened him. We were lucky enough to find a worked up S300 in a modified stock, it had even been custom painted to look like metal panels riveted together, we put a lightweight front focus scope on the front and that got him started.

I then found a superb SM100 carbine in a tiger maple Welham stock, he won a lot of regional shoots with that rifle.

By the time he was 16 he had grown up a lot and was close to 6' tall, so was then shooting a Pro-T with a Leup 20-50 on top (well, he figured I had one, so he should have one too... at my expense).

So I don't think you need to sell up to get him started, as there are plenty of extremely accurate rifles that don't cost a fortune, like the S400, that with a 32 mag scope up top will be more than capable of getting the lad started and which can be traded up at a later date.

4. Deleted member 4175

I have now decided to go with the r10 for him he finds it light enough etc. I have sourced someone to make me a hamster too
    I think I will hunt a t50 out as they are a bit cheaper 2nd hand and if he does not end up sticking with it I have not invested so much

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I recently looked at the T50 and it's a pretty fair scope all round and good value for money.

Don't forget the T35, no longer made, but still around and well thought of, plus there are a number of good 32 mag front focus scopes many of which are still used on the GP circuit.