FT fpe with springer

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by doninva, Sep 26, 2018.

1. doninva

doninva New Member

I'm in the USA and we don't have very many springer shooters that compete in FT. There is one range that shoots hunter fild target like in the UK. I am trying to setup a gun for WFTF. Is there a fpe that works best or do you try to get close to the limit of 12 fpe. Thanks, Don

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I believe USA spring team did well at the WFTF event in Poland a few week back.

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Two schools of thought here.

A lot of the springer shooters go for lower velocity and a smoother firing cycles, 750 to 760 fps being typical. Others are happier with a faster velocity and a bit more bump, 770 to 785fps.

It is worth trying both set ups and seeing which you prefer.

4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I suppose it's all down to preference like most things.

I've always shot springers in HFT and FT. HW77.

I spoke to Terry Doe many years ago ( 90s ). He was one of the early springer Champs and he shot with a HW77 that he named 'Emily'. Even at 55 yards ( max FT ) Terry said he had that rifle at only about 10 to 10.5fp muzzle energy.

I've always had my 77 at @ 770fps with JSB 8.4gr. So @ 11fp. Mine has a V-Mach kit in and has a fast shot cycle. It actually has a bit of kick but I'm used to that and I found I got the best results with that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    10.5 fpe - 11.00 fpe is all you need - any more than that can be detrimental to accuracy/consistency on an FT course.

Alanok2002 and TREV RYN like this.
  6. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

My best results have been at around 740 to 750 fps with 8.44 grain exacts.
    So 10.25 to 10.5 ft-lbs

Mostly hft though so only 45 yards

TREV RYN and pbrown like this.
  7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Got a TX200 mk2 recently that was too close to the limit for comfort. Took it down to 760fps, and it’s so much smoother now.

TREV RYN likes this.
  8. doninva

doninva New Member

Thanks, my TX, and me, seem to shoot better at 700-750fps with 8.4 JSBs. Don

9. doninva

doninva New Member

Conor, we have some good shooters in the states but l think there a lot more springer shooters in the UK that shoot field target. A lot of our springer shooters shoot US hunter field target class. They can shoot 20 fpe with shootings sticks and a seat. Don

TREV RYN likes this.
  10. Scott Hull

Scott Hull Member

Club:
    SLSBA/Morro Bay
    Most of the USA FT piston shooters are close to 12fpe. Even in Open and Hunter. A few shoot 13 or 14fpe but rarely will you see someone shooting a 20fpe piston gun. The harsher firing cycle will affect accuracy. In 2014 and 2015 I shot an 18-19fpe Diana 54 and did well enough. But the D54 is a sled gun which is almost a requirement if you want to shoot close to 20fpe with good control. Even with the sled, most of the FT shooters in the USA with D54 guns like to tune them down to about 12fpe.

At bigger FT matches in the USA, the average makeup is about 20-25% piston, 75-80% pre-charge.

If shooting WFTF in the USA, they accept a 2% velocity overage to allow for various conditions. Some piston guns vary with altitude (mine do). I live close to sea level, so I tune my guns for those local conditions. I also travel to a lot of away matches. I'll usually shoot my piston guns at elevations up to 3000ft, maybe 4000ft. If greater than that, I bring my pre-charged gun instead.

Close to 12fpe is what you want as long as accuracy is good. Less than 10fpe might not work well on some far targets. So there is only a 2fpe window where you will likely want to be.

NeilM likes this.
  11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

That's quite a wide spread

9.14 to 10.49 ft lb

12. doninva

doninva New Member

Sorry, 50 fps would not be very good. l ment to say gun tuned anywhere between 725 and 750. The TX is shooting from 730-740 right now and seems to group well. Don

13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

How have you achieved that power level Don ?

14. doninva

doninva New Member

I took a couple coils off my spring. Had to add a thicker washer to get to 730-740. Wanted to get to 760 but when l added another washer the TX wouldn't cock. Looks like l have another spring coming, from Air Rifle Headquarters today. Don

15. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    It's your gun and your tune. find where the magic happens and leave it there.

My gun recoils like a Battleship broadside, but once the pellet has left the barrel it can do what it likes.

TREV RYN likes this.
  16. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Most of the motion of a springer is before the pellet leaves the barrel.

17. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Mine don't know that, so best not tell it then!!

18. doninva

doninva New Member

As usual, you are right Brian. I have my lgu, with a FT stock, and my TX 200 HC shooting at 10.6 fpe. The TX has what l would call, a semi FT stock. The TX is shooting the best. Off my bench, at 30 yards, l can call the shots. I know when the gun goes off, if l missed. The LGU is not quit there yet. It may be all me, getting used to the stock. Thanks to Brian and everyone that helped me get them up and running. Don

Brian.Samson likes this.
  19. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

It appears you have jumped into the springer thing, so now you will have to find a MarkI TX200, with the shorter stroke, and try that. Brad Troyer does very well with his old MarkI. You may be able to find just the short stroke piston to convert your current gun, but you will have to change the spring as well. These simple mods are totally reversible and very easy, on the TX. I've been known to try half a dozen different set ups in an afternoon.:D

20. doninva

doninva New Member

FPoole, l don't think a MK1 would get me anywhere close to Brad. Never understood why he doesn't go to the worlds. I have a Thomas, Steyr and a RAW HM1000 to fall back on when the springers stress me out:). Don