FT Coverage

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by TOOL, Aug 8, 2011.

1. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Just a thought & i wonder if anyone can shed any light on the fact ?

Why is the very little / barely no coverage of FT events in any of the magazines.

Not that i buy any of the magazines it was puerly that i was looking at some in WHSmith & only one had referance to GP's.

Has there been any further reports throughout the season in any of the magazines ? If so were & which magazines are they in , where could i get a copy from for a look ?

There were some minor HFT referances but the lack of FT was quite a shock considering how popular the sport seems to be at the moment.

I know magazines are filled with adverts for a reason i.e. to fund the publishing etc , but to read blah blah blah from some guy who i've never heard of putting pellet on pellet on pellet on pellet really doesn't make me want to ruch out & buy them.

Anyway rant over , had a **** day at work so thought i may aswell get this off my chest.

Scott,

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I wanted something to read while away for a few days and saw both Airgun World and Airgunner for sale in one pack (both for the price of one)

I was rather dissapointed to see no FT coverage in either of them. There was a small amount of HFT coverage which I found interesting and some articles on bench rest and pistol speed plate shooting - so they are covering what I would consider more obscure types of competition shooting.

I wonder if they just need someone to write the articles / provide the photos?

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I did reports after first 4 (i think) but A.W. said they did not recieve the recorded disk!

As such, i lost intrest with them.

Clubs cup has been in Airgun shooter and its now set up for a season review after gp 9.

Full coverage is scheduled for the 2012 Gp season with Airgun shooter, all being well.

4. Bodger J

Bodger J "PBD...Pete's Brolly Dolly"

Club:
    Fort Airgun Club
    I am sure I picked up a copy of Gun Mart the other week and that had a few pages of FT in it.

5. NJR 100

Club:
    James does some stuff for Gun Mart.

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    That must be frustrating that there are actually people out there doing the pictures & reports (Simon).

I know Ozzy & Rob have done some in the past as well, but for which one i don't know.

Lost interest , don't blame you mate to be honest.

7. NJR 100

Club:
    It takes me hours to sort through the pics and its not a quick 10 mins to do a report, so yes to say i was peed was not an understatement.

As I said though, all is in place for Airgun Shooter to become not only sponsors of the clubs cup but also cover the gp reports.
    Fair play, there has been some nice coverage in the last couple of months with airgun shooter (Sorry Tim)

As i have now got everything set up with them, thats what i will be proposing to Bfta committee come November for 2012.

8. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

As Simon says it isn't a quick 10 minute job to write a report and sort out photos etc.

Gun Mart have been very supportive publishing my FT shoot reports, the problem with the magazines is the time it takes for reports to come through, especially as we expect to see results published for all to see only hours after an event. Having said that it can be a nice reminder to read about something from the summer when the nights are drawing in:)

I don't know how much stuff the magazines get sent in the way of reports but if no one does it they can't publish it.

James

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Reports etc

Personally,

I have asked lads such as Jams and Simon to assist with reports and fair play they have done.

I am dissappointed that reports that have been forwarded to AW have not been published. I was under the understanding that certain mags wanted reports from the FT scene as well.

Airgun shooter have been superb fair play, they have supplied great coverage etc. knowing the fact that they want to cover FT further is fantastic news......

Berty

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I've got stuff in the Rifleman, the NSRA's mag, and they are keen for articles. I've asked a magazine (which i wont mention the name of) if they want anything for the worlds, but had no reply. I might try a more direct approach.

As previously said, the photos typically take me 1/2 a day to sort for print, and they have to be exactly right. The words can take 1-2 evenings work as well to sort out a couple of 1000 words. In short, it's probably 2 days work, especially if you factor in taking the photos themselves. It can be a stuggle to sort all that out for a pressing deadline if you've had a day's shooting and 2-3 hour drive home.

Berty, if you want to do a run around and see who wants what, we can perhaps connect the content suppliers with the mags a bit better? I know the Rifleman is looking for content even on a regular basis, and I know someone who may be willing to put her word in ;)... i can shoot photos (as long as i'm not sulking :D)

11. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I am the main Airgun competition writer for Airgunner, Every month I am given two to three pages to write about competition shooting.

I cover mainly HFT, as that is my chosen sport, however, I recently put a post up on STB, where I asked for a bit of help with an FT rig and within that post I mentioned that I was going to write a FT feature in the magazine.

Unfortunaly, quite a few FT shooters decided to have a pop at me and essentialy say that I should not be doing the article and that I should have it ghost written by somone who knows what they are talking about. I am still going to write the piece and I am going to attend the Essex 50 with my AR20 and Big Niko. The thing is though, I feel very unwelcome.

I have made an effort to embrace FT and I am prepaired to pay my own entrance fee and fuel to promote your sport, However, in return, I took a flaiming. So if you want covereage, may I suggest that you don't have a go at those of us who are trying to help.

See you all at the Essex 50

Gary

12. NJR 100

Club:

I am sure your perception is misplaced Gary.
    I for one welcome you to ft and I think an article written by an Ft novice may highlight things the more experienced are missing??
    I think it would have been good if you could have attended a regional shoot as well as a national one to compare? Regional should not be too hard for a novice, but National shoots are where you should see what its about!

Good luck

simon

13. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Hi Simon,

Just an honest thought, shouldnt it just be about enjoyment.

A serious question though, why are national shoots harder than regional ones, don't they follow the same template for course setting etc?

14. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Cheers Simon, I though the Essex 50 would be a good start and I intend to shoot at least 1 GP next year:D:D

15. NJR 100

Club:
    I cant say as i have not shot a regional shoot in every region.

However, this is my take on it.

Regional shoots should be for everyone, national shoots for the best.

New people to the sport usually want to travel a short distance to compete, thus regions. Not do several thousand miles travelling for the nationals.

Now at the regional shoot there could be world class shooters, and a 15 year old who has just baught his first gun. As such, I set courses so that C (new) grade should be wone with about 20 ex 40, b class with about 30 and A / AA with about 35 +

That will mean shooters of a lesser ability will not be discouraged by say hitting only 1 in 4 through the course, but the best still have 10 good targets to work for while usually not having to much problem with the others.

I came back to the sport in 2006 and within 2 weeks was doing my first Gp. Hit the first 10 targets them only hit 7 out of the next 40. However, it was 45 ish that won it so it showed that nationally, i was way behind the best.
    I took that as insperation and spent the next 4 years trying to improve to match the best.

If gp were easy, and some have been too easy for my liking this seasion, i would have to re-consider travelling all over the country to compete on the same grade of course as i can locally.

16. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Our local winter league is easier than the GPs as they are only 30 shots and we do not have reduced kill zones. Distance of targets is probably shorter overall.

The Winter shoots get people interested locally and then they can decide if they want to travel further and attempt the GPs (within the grade they have achieved or nominate higher if they wish)

Also - the NEFTA HFT series is slightly easier (according to my conversations with UKAHFT shooters who do the NEFTA series) as we do not have reducers on disciplines etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  17. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Not looked or bought any this year but gun mart usual do a write up on the GPs and post top 5 places in each grade.....well they did last year...bought a couple then so i could see my name in print......had no excuse to buy one this year lol

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I remember the thread Gary, and I think it was a problem of interpretation of what you were saying rather than something else. I think people assumed you were going to try and write about FT rather than perhaps an article about you stepping into FT, which is a different thing. I think the latter would be better as it would be of more interest to the mag's readership... those established in FT already know-it-all anyway :D But seriously, I don't think anyone in FT would like you not to write the article and would help out where they could. Trying to fit it all into one or two articles might be a bit tricky... i struggled to keep my articles under 4k words, and they were on specific things. You could write a book on it, as you could with HFT.

19. rogb

rogb Señor Member

If it makes you feel any better, I wrote an article for AGW a while back, sent the disk recorded,
    it was signed for, but the editor TD said he didn't ever see it.

I discovered this some months later after calling to ask if it was going to be published and sent it again, but still never heard a word.

I put a lot of effort, time and expense into that piece but after that, never wrote another one.

So don't feel too, bad, it's not just you, mate:)

20. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I have just re-read your post Gary, and the whole thread. I agree with Rob, it was the way you put the idea across, it reads like you intend to write an article about FT shooting...and as the writers are usually regarded as having some knowledge about the subject they are writing about, it came across wrong. If you had said it was to be written from a newcomers perspective the confusion would not have arisen.:)
    Unless some posts were edited or deleted i certainly cant' see "Quite a few" incidents of people having a pop at you for it. I hope non of this puts you off either having a go at FT or writing about it.
    I have been a complete FT addict since the early days, i've seen the sport grow and HFT sprout from it, i have done quite a few HFT shoots both at local and UKAHFT level, not competitively i might add,:D but i do enjoy them.
    The two sports should be two sides of the same coin, organised safe use of airguns for the enjoyment of the participants...not adversary's.:)