FT course difficulty

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by FPoole, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:33 AM.

1. FPoole

FPoole Member

Do you all have a standard to figure how hard a course is? We have what we call the Troyer factor which uses 1" at 30 yards as the standard not figuring in the wind. With this a .5" at 15 yards would be a 30T and say a 1" at 50 would be a 50T. I set up a short 5 lane, 15 target, 30 shot course like this. We shoot 2 at each target.
    1- .25" at 12 yards
    3- .375" at 12, 14, and 14, yards
    2- .5" at 21, and 22 yards
    1- .875" at 28 yards
    3- 1" at 27, 28, and 29 yards
    5- 1.5" at 48, 48, 52, 52, and 55 yards
    This gives a T factor of 33.6 and the wind was left to right at around 3-5 mph with occasional gust a bit higher. Does this sound hard enough, or do I need to make it more frustrating? Most of us have springers, but at least 4 have pcp's.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Not much of a mix or balance of targets IMO.
    You havent got a single target placed between 29yrds and 48yrds? Also why are you placing so many targets at the same distance, it’s boting enough shooting tgem twice.
    Standard size kill is 15, 25 and 40mm in FT you’ve got some very small kills in there but at close range much of the skill is removed. I’d use a few more 1.5” kills between 35-48yrds and less of the smaller ones.

suds and Darron like this.
  3. DAVALI

DAVALI New Member

Club:
    Lea Valley AGC
    Should also be noted that we only have one shot at each target, no chance to correct poor aim or wind allowance!, most people use PCP’s but I like to use my TX200 when there is a recoiling section.
    Regards,
    Dave.

4. FPoole

FPoole Member

I don't like putting the 1.5" in any closer than 48 yards, so it's a pretty narrow window between 48 and 55. The 1.5" would pretty much be a gimme inside 48 yards, at least that's what the pcp gang tell me. It was pretty windy, so I kept the small stuff close up as I usually put a couple of the .375" at 20 yards or so. Everyone grabs a target and walks them out, so the .5" to 1" stuff seems to wind up around 25 to 30 yards. The .25" target will give a small split, so it plays more like a .375" target. It's funny how it works on the shooters mind when he sees the little hole, but it's my personal target and I know it's little secret. Most of the stuff would be set back a few yards, if the wind is light. I'm going to mix it up a good bit next time and I intend to set up by myself.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    1” targets can go out to 38yrds if you want a bit of a challenge.
    It’s not a format it course set up I’d personally like it want to revisit with a boring number targets all placed at the exact same distance.
    What were the discipline targets?
    I’ve missed plenty of 40-45yrd targets in my time and nothing is a ‘gimme’, they are all there to be missed!

BTW there is little to no skill in rangefinding a target under 30yrds and the effect of the wind is much reduced also therefore the majority of your course were ‘gimmes’ to your highly accomplished pcp shooters IMO.

Andy P, suds and Darron like this.
  6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I know very little about FT in the USA, but I do know that you have classes for 20 ft/ lb rifles and for guys using strap arrangements to keep themselves steady. If you are designing courses to make things hard / competitive for those guys, then you are never gong to imitate the European or WFTF style courses as you are catering to a different market.

If you want to understand what we do over here, you could do worse than spending time on the BFTA website, reading the rules and the course setting guidelines.

Lavant_Lad, scruff, Darron and 2 others like this.
  7. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    when I returned to FT 3 years ago after a 23yr break it was immediately clear that the courses were massively longer, not only that but greater thought was usually given to target placement. To counteract that the equipment that we use these days (especially optics) has improved by a similar degree so the effect has been evened out. What I would say is the best courses I have shot since my return have not been the longest courses but the courses where the builder has given considerable thought to target placement. The courses in WFTF17 Wales were not only some of the shortest I had shot, but were also the most challenging and aesthetically pleasing. In summary its not how far you can throw them out its where you put them and what effect the variables (wind and light etc will have upon the shot)

Ive shot FT in the USA in the early 90's(twice) and in those days US FT was very similar to UK FT now from what I see on YouTube etc. theres a very different type of FT going on and I'm not sure its helpful for anybody that has ambitions to shoot true WFTC comps but hey that's just my thoughts

scruff and suds like this.
  8. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    find a wooded area on a 60 degree hill with 40+ mph winds howling towards you over the top of the hill with the wind swirling round and round, hold the string and it will bow to the left then nearly drag you over bowing to the right then drop limp and then form a letter S, now thats what i call a challenging course, time must be after 11.30am because before this time the string will be limp :p

WELCOME TO MILLRIDE FTC UK

Darron and Mriley like this.
  9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    No standard figure.

A good (imo) rule of thumb for a national is the Daniel's Formula.

20% 50-55 yards
    20% 45-50 yards
    20% 40-45 yards
    20% under 40 yards
    20% disciplines

If low wind put 10% under 40 , 30% 50-55
    If high wind put 30% in under 40, 10% in 50-55

It doesn't take into account reducers under 40, but that gives you something to play with

Guess it depends on what you think is high or low wind.

For me, course building is an art rather than a science, and it depends on what you're trying to achieve with it. At the various levels of FT that aim may change, for a club course the aim might be different from a WFTC for instance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    scruff likes this.
  10. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
  11. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Bob that’s a bit of an exaggeration , the hill is not 60 degres .

12. Evo

Club:
    i know but by the time i finished the course it felt like it :confused::confused::confused::confused:

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    One thing that isn't factored in is your shooting partner... bear in mind that if you have to spend 2 hours listening to a shell suit rustle and how everyone shot the easier session it can take it's toll... the bonus is that at least you'll know your wheels are safe in the car park :D

gdavison, C.Eaton and Darron like this.
  14. Evo

Club:
    yes he does waffle a bit :D:D:D:D Daz Hillier wannabee scouser.jpeg

Tartan, Darron and RobF like this.
  15. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Looking at the pic, apart from all the 9c gold...lol, shooting standers with your eyes closed is the way forward:D you can’t beat a good shell suit...quality

16. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    9ct Gold are you joking? I’m a Brummie remember that is premium plating at its best lol.

17. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

Dont be so sure. That GC2 cant have been cheap

Darron likes this.
  18. FPoole

FPoole Member

I should also have mentioned that most of the pcp guys are up into their 70's. The TX200 shooters are more there just to have a good time, with the exception of myself and one other. We have a good time, but I like to keep these old boys in their place. :D At pretty much 60 now, I will soon be in their shoes. I use 12 ft. lbs. and no shooting aids and I dread the day when I feel I need the harness. I'll probably just go into bench rest.