NEFTA FT & classic silloutes advice please

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Packa, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    True Packa, there is no rule against it but this is how it all starts and someone will be reading this that will push it even further.

scruff likes this.
  2. dave croucher

dave croucher A rather large member

Packa, wanna share that popcorn??

Big J and scruff like this.
  3. marojaz

marojaz Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    The standing position rifle is only ever meant to be supported in one hand. In your illustration it would 'appear' that it it supported in three positions as per the diagram. If this were the case, then that would definatly be a stability advantage over the traditional position - similar to the example given by Rob of a shooter with an abnormally long hamster pointing at downward onto his / her hip. If anyone were to adopt this on a regular basis there's no doubt a new rule (groan) would be introduced to deter it.

Attached Files:

4. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    personally i would (looking at the photo position ) would not be happy that the hamster would be touching your jacket on the arm past the joint of the wrist, also looking at it, it looks like because of the position you cannot move your wrist so in my eyes (imo) id ban it, have to say, it would be interesting to hear what Brian samson thought about it as i normally go with what he would say,but as said its the nefta classic

bucket of popcorn for me and Dave

Gary Martin likes this.
  5. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Just angle the hamster further so it's vertical and not touching your forearm. It's then just a hand stop. Problem solved and the Kleenex box can be safely stored away for the next time an FT emergency comes along.

Packa and dave croucher like this.
  6. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    Exactly what I’ll be doing!

Kleenex :D

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    For standing shots, the BFTA Main Shoot rules simply states:
    Standing: Any shot taken in a standing position without the aid of any support. (The support is assumed to be external, i.e. tree trunk)

The rule covering the gun touching the arm rear of the wrist is specific to the kneeling rule in section A, item 2:
    The Leading Hand will support the gun, and forward of the wrist should itself be unsupported (the wrist is deemed to be the hinged joint between hand and forearm). On the Leading Hand, in front of the wrist joint, only the Leading Hand or Glove should contact the rifle, or appear to contact the rifle and it should not touch or appear to touch a part of the shooter’s body. On the Leading Hand and Leading Arm, any parts of the Glove and/or other clothing and/or arm behind the wrist joint should not contact the rifle or appear to contact the rifle

So, the proposed position is currently fully legal to BFTA rules. Maybe consideration should be given to including the rule in section A, item 2 to the standing position.

8. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    what about summer time Evo?? I’m shorts and T shooter infact shorts most of the year!

Brian’s place 15 mins from me I could pop in and ask for you?

9. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    Saddler thank you for your input, it was an honest question, as said it was a member who didn’t know 100% them selfs if it was acceptable? So said ask the question which I have. And as far as I’m concerned? It just needs a tweak of fore end and any issues sorted!!

now onto finding a nice piece of moulding foam ;)

10. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    packa, honestly mate , i couldnt care less how people want to shoot standers, in all sports you will get people trying to bend the rules to gain an advantage, it happens in all sports and ft is no different, me , i just want to go out and enjoy my shooting be it in shorts or whatever, enjoy my shooting with like minded folk and try to be the best my ability will let me be,

enjoy your shooting bud oh and me i,ll just sit here with my toffee popcorn lol

EV2_Hawke likes this.
  11. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    Evo! Ditto mate

enjoy the popcorn :D

12. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
  13. dave croucher

dave croucher A rather large member

While we are on the subject of standing shots and the rules, 2019 main shoot rules say a cushion may be used in sitting kneeling and standung positions. How can i use a cushion when standing? Can it be used to level out an unlevel firing position?

Asking with regard to FT only ,not classic as my friend that is enquiring dont do the classic as it has too many standers

Packa likes this.
  14. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Xti 50 - time to pass the Batton! Staff Member

Club:
    West Fobury Tree !

Its 2020 dave

You can use the cushion to rest your popcorn on while " holding " the gun with both hands in the standing lane

Yoeri_B likes this.
  15. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I believe its for those that sit to range find on standing and kneeling lanes, not for taking the shot.

16. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Looking at that photo having the hamster in that position WILL NOT give you any extra stability whatsoever, in fact it will make it worse, it will encourage the rifle to push away from you and unstable the support arm, not to mention altering the centre of gravity and putting far too much weight forward of the support arm. All its doing really is acting as a glorified hand stop.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    dil007 likes this.