FT advice please

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by merc350, Sep 21, 2012.

1. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Going to have a dabble at FT over the winter:)

Would the FT boys and gals on here be kind enough to divulge what mag they usually shoot on?

Also do you tend to zero on that magnification?

Finally i have noticed that slings are allowed. In the rules it says something like

'a single sling is allowed whether attached or not to the gun'

Noticed in America that people use a sling to hold their legs together when shooting. Is that allowed in UK?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

ATB

Paul:)

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I shoot on x20 mag and that's what i zero on as i still have a nerve system and cant shoot on x50 mag which i range find on.:)

3. rich

rich Active Member

I use a fixed mag 35x scope so I have to do everything on 35x. Before that I had a big Nikko mark 1 and I found that the optical quality at 50x was inferior to 40x or 45x so I used that at around 40x most of the time.

Shooting at a high mag takes some getting used to, but I find the optical quality of a fixed focal length scope is so much better than the zooms that I could afford, it's worth the effort.

Arguably you should reduce the mag so that you can see more of the surrounding area and get a last-second update on what the wind is doing, but there are some far better shots than me who are successful on a fixed mag.

At least with a fixed mag there can't be any image shift, except when focussing.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    no, the american brace system is not allowed.

Get yourself to your nearest FT club, if your not already in one and have a look at how the top shots shot, or check out the Gp photos in the photos forum /Gp reports on here.

Once you have the correct position, you should be able to hold fairly steady on any mag from 25 -50.

i too shoot fixed 35, Just seems easier than faffing with turning mags up and down etc.

5. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    i am a member at Emley and a few top shots pop in from time to time:D Everyone is very helpful at the club and i have been given loads of advice.:)

Many thanks for all the replies so far. Regarding the sling if it is attached to the gun can you not wrap it round each knee or is that against the rules too? Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question or has been answered elsewehere.:eek:

ATB Paul

6. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    hello Paul,

LIke Rich above, i've leant towards a quality, reasonable cost, fixed mag for exactly the same reasons. (fixed 36 for me)

One evolution within FT is the mount height which has increased over what you will be used to for HFT.

The benefits with increased mount height are it reduces the dialling or aimpoints at the longer ranges where the rangefinding accuracy is more critical (and you tend to get alot of targets at these ranges). If you reduce the drop on the longer range shots, then it gives a bit more tolerance for rangefinding.

Other benefits are you don't need to have such a deep stock to shoot off the knee, it keeps the guns centre of gravity lower, and it gives a more natural head up position.

Disadvantages of a higher mount means you have to be careful with cant, plus the trajectory gain you have with longer shots is cancelled out by having a steeper curve on the closer shots - but, even cheaper scopes can rangefind the closer targets well, where they might struggle at the 45-55y ranges. It's a trade off, exactly the same as HFT.

Plus, if you get a high mag scope, you can use it for pellet testing on your HFT gun - there's no substitute for bigger mag when doing this.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  7. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I don't see what wrapping a sling around your knees would gain, basically you are a tripod for the rifle, so your ass and both your feet become the tripod for stability, there are many different styles, some use the over arm technique, others rest the rifle on their knee. As Simon says, look at the Pictures in the FT galleries and try some of them out. There are some top FT shooters at Emley so you should be in good company there. I use Leupold competition scopes on both my rifles, one s a 40 fixed mag, the other a 45 both with Mildot rets. Never had a problem shooting on high mag, but that suits me, a lot of people I know use Nikkos and they PA on 50mag then shoot on 30 or 35 mag. You need to try some stuff out at the club and see what suits you. Neil.

8. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I shoot everything on 50 mag, but i've recently started turning the mag down for the standers.
    It's swings and roundabouts,
    higher mag is darker, but narrower depth of field.
    Lower mag is lighter,clearer with less visible wobble, but wider depth of field. So it's personal choice.
    If your chosen scope is dark or fuzzy, then a lower mag might work out better. I don't have that problem, but might gain more wind reading info at a lower mag (with a wider field of view)

Atb,

Alec.

9. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Some good valid points here from Dave, listen to this guy as he does know what he's on about ;)

10. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
  11. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Heyup Paul best thing to is get together wi some of lads n look and ask for help n pointers on sight there's some different weird and wonderful positions some adapt as well as strange gun attachments. Ave a look at techniques from likes of calps...mark... Trev etc biggest key is repeating a good technique

12. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

The higher scope does not make the effects of cant worse (as proved by maestro's very impressive math) but a higher scope makes for a higher COG and a gun with more "topple" and is therefore more likely to cant in the first place.

Atb,

Alec.

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    When I first started, i used to shoot everything on full mag because i was riddled with fear about going over time, or kept leaving the mag down low when i dropped it before putting my eye to scope on the next lane and wasting time getting it back up to full mag for rangefinding.

So i got a mag coaster which helped get the mag up fast if it was low, and generally didn't have too much of an issue shooting on full mag (which is always what you should rangefind on, as a rule). For standers and kneelers I vary... at the moment i've gone back to a low 10-15x for standers, and kneelers i'm somewhere around 20-40x depending on the range they're at.

But aside from rangefinding, which should be done on full mag (esoteric debates around analogue resolution aside), i'd say shoot on what you're comfortable with.

14. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hello Andras, purely from my own experience with a custom shop mounted very high on an rn10 with a bridge mount years ago, I found it easier to get cant error due to the weight of the scope being higher. I did not say you get more error, you just have to be careful, because it's easier to get it imho (not everyone used levels back then). Good article btw.

15. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Thanks lads. Some very useful info :)

16. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Mark Stenton has already given me a load of pointers. As have lads at the club. They are a good bunch:D

17. ginger ninja

ginger ninja New Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hi Paul have you tried turning the scope round the right way eg is your focus wheel on the right hand side of your scope if so it needs turning round bud lol:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Oh you're doomed :D

19. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    funnny guy :D:D:D

It's the right way round......however i do keep shooting myself ?!!?!:D:D;):rolleyes::eek:

20. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Aye you can read and do formulas looking at cants and gun chairs and inclinometerators and themometers butt plugs n sink plugs carrotts n turnips and all sorts of stuff on paper none of it matters when it comes down to taking a shot from a stable positon its all just good technique and repeating that time after time you get one chance at a target for a point or a miss. Learn your gear ie buy it once and get used to it some people chop n change their scope from one week to next just learn one scope and then u know how t use it to its full potential. Do it steady bit by bit some people fly there way into aa grade within a year and then constantly come unstuck in tricky wind or different light levels.

Get in for all the winter leagues n get stuck in its self learning and self satisfying discipline.