French Airgunners.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by raygun, Oct 11, 2013.

1. raygun

raygun Non member

Could any French airgunners, or anyone else for that matter give the reasons why the French Government just upped and increased the limit for air rifles to double it's previous power.

I had not seen anything about any campaign and it would be interesting to know how this increase came about.

ATB
    Ray.

2. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    What's the limit now then Ray?

An interesting thread this could be............

:shot:

3. rich

rich Active Member

Vingt joules.

4. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Hello ,

The reason why the power limit was changed from 10 to 20 joules is mainly due to political pressure from the "paintball" shooters .

The problem is that the paintball federation was not recognized by the shooting federation and the most of paintball markers was more than 9.9 joules powerfull.
    But in France to have this kind of "weapon" it was either to have a shooting license or a hunting license.

None of the two federations (hunting and shooting) did not want to hear about paintball. The only political solution that would put everyone agreed was to change the power limit for air guns. (or to no consider paintball markers as weapons)

It was a way for the French Shooting Federation (which is doing very poorly) to offload the problem.

5. ome177

ome177 New Member

Holidays in France

So from what I understand to now be the case, one could holiday in France as we plan to do during 2014 and take our U.K. sub 12 ft/lb air rifle with us for use in a French FT competiton?

I take it a U.k. shooter may still need an invitation to shoot at French Ft completion however?

6. raygun

raygun Non member

Many thanks for your reply flyfisher.

It seems that your Government has a higher regard for it's citizens than ours does :D
    It's refreshing to see such a reaction and simple solution to a paintballers problem. I wish our Government was as accommodating to airgunners instead of swamping them with legislation they can't comply with.

ATB
    Ray.

7. rich

rich Active Member

I agree with Ray. Our government has scant regard for French citizens. :eek: And ours too, for that matter.

8. raygun

raygun Non member

With the ridiculous carry on in Scotland and the jump through hoops airgun legislation in the U.K. generally, it's refreshing to see a simple solution to a problem by just doubling the power limit.

Still not a massive limit, but an eminently sensible solution.

ATB
    Ray.

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Think it's to do with how far up the chain the law is developed. And what else they have on their plate. And what the environment is like around the sport.

Good news is we now have a close country to shoot in. Looking forward to that.

10. rich

rich Active Member

As the rest of our laws seem to be made in the EU now, how about suggesting ACPO issue new guidance to the effect that the French power limit takes priority over ours?

Probably have to be a condition attached, maybe 20 joules but only if you are capable of speaking French. That would make a lot of sense. We're comfortable with "capable" as we understand completely what it means.

Alors, c'est bon !

:D

11. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

hello,

the increased power limit from 10 to 20 joules joules changes nothing for FT shooters.
    We chose to shoot 16 joules max . In the past we had arranged special rules for 10 joules rifles with a maximum shooting range of 35 yards.

Personally I do not want that over 16 joules rifles ( fac in englang) are authorized for FT practice.

This power is a "good deal " for shooting at 55-60 yards.

We still have so much work to succeed in our shots successfully that range

Increase the power mean increase the max shooting range and so on.

Today found a secure shooting area 55 yards long is not very easy so .......

No, I hope that the 16 joules limit will not be changed in France and that all the international organizations also respects this limit.

To be recognized as a real sport. Our "hobby" needs uniformized international rules.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    TOTALLY AGREE! however unfortunately there are a lot of pilchards out there

13. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Just about sums it up!
    :D :D :D :D :D

HERX77.

14. dhb

dhb Canadian FT Novice

Club:
    Eastern Ontario Shooting Club
    Were the special rules set by your FT organization or the French authorities who regulate air guns and/or shooting ranges? Do stand alone FT ranges count as shooting ranges in France?

15. frederik

frederik New Member

20 joules in France

Europe lanched an open consultation some time ago about potential limitations/control of all weapons.

That move from the french legislator seem to go against the general feel about weapons tolerance, as this consultation looked (to me) pretty much set up to a restrictive aim.

It take the comment about passing laws and not being able to have them applied.

Smuggled weapon is a key point. One cannot control the invisible.

16. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    passport

Mr Flyfisher,
    are there any 2014 dates folks from the uk can attend French Ft shots? Open shoots?

It would make a nice weekend away?

17. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    trophy hunter. :d:d:d:d:d:d:d

18. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I`d be ok as long as you and Bobby dont go!

19. Wovokaa

Wovokaa New Member

Club:
    AFFT
    http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showpost.php?p=148764&postcount=2
    Many thanks Brian ;-)

Yes, a FT shooter from a different European country can now come to France for a competition, it's a great thing for everyone :)
    In France the FT is at its beginning, it is very little developed at the moment, we have created an AFFT association and two active forums on FT/HFT,
    http://www.field-target.fr/forum/index.php
    http://www.affieldtarget.com/
    perhaps that the new regulation will help us, I hope !
    For my part, I practice the FT all alone in my garden with........my cats, lol, but it is a little sad, and participates at Open d'Euskadi once a year to meet new friends :) this is the reality which is unfortunately very real.
    I'm honest in my comments, hoping that the french FT will grow in the coming years because there were fine examples,
    https://plus.google.com/photos/1020...s/5744638095444398993?authkey=CNClgq7Tk5Gv9wE
    http://euskalft.org/index.php?optio...ew&catid=2&id=8876&limit=6&limitstart=18#9763
    https://plus.google.com/photos/1056...s/5745359869735478961?authkey=CLvbsqfLgIu7rwE
    https://plus.google.com/103807100254784267239/posts

To enjoy life !!!

20. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Sacre bleu ..... That's me qualified !