Free floating Ev2 barrel

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Sep 1, 2010.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Whats the advantages of a free floating Ev2 barrel???

2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi simon undo the retaining grub screws on the windicator/muzzle brake and see what sort of fit it is, the one on my Mk4 slides on without have to pull the barrel down or push it up and a chap at the club has got a Mk4 the same so i have left it un-floated but my Mk 3 is floated due to having to alighn the barrel rather than the muzzle break just sliding on. This cured a zero shift that i was getting in winter hope this helps alittle bit. steve

3. NJR 100

Club:
    Cheers Steve,
    mine is amk2 that has been through Dave Penmans hands. I thinks thats where it was free floated?

Was wondering why its done and if I would be better off with it secured, given my ability to knock the thing:eek:

4. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    i had weird zero shift on my mk2 where the windage would move by it self 4/5 clicks either side then come back to zero on its own 10 shots later

floating the barrel cured this for me :)

5. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    I think on some of the Mk2s the fit was not very good hence the free floating to avoid zero shift because of movement in the air cylider the later models don`t seem quite so fussy.

6. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I had that problem with my MK2 steve when I 1st got it, I soon learnt on my MK1 that the barrel needed to be loose in the muzzel brake so that was the 1st job I did on my MK2, Needless to say the barrel sprung up 2-3 mm on releasing the brake, I sent the rifle straight back to AA even before i put a scope on it as AA supplied it to me, They fitted a new barrel and it has been spot on ever since, They did say it was the 1st bent barrel they had seen, was not to happy that the fitter did not notice this on assembly though.(or he did and could not be bothered to change it)

Chris

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    To Float Or Not To Float ?

Don't float it simon . sink it ??? HOLLY:D

8. shep

shep Member

Club:
    Avon Hawks
    My EV2 was getting POI changes from full air charge 180 ish down to 120 bar....not a huge ammount but enough to miss a target a 55 yrd

Took off the factory fitted clamp thing to find it was glued up solid to the muzzle brake and was pushing the barrel up so much it was hard to get it back on....Would almost say it was bending the barrel!!
    After floating the barrel it did seem to take a while to settle down but it shoots good n accurate now, Was a bit unsure if it took a knock it might lose zero but not had any problems yet

9. NJR 100

Club:
    Cheers Mark, but what happened sunday at Quarry?:confused::confused:

10. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Floated barrel

Thankfully my mk2 was okay from the start.

I haven't had to touch mine?

Berty

11. NJR 100

Club:
    Right, Mr P, if you could answer for the technically no idea, thats me.

i have a red mk3 in my posestion with a view to purchase.
    Undo two grub screws on the windicator and the windicator plus red muzzel break thing just slide off.
    Whats that mean.
    It would be better floated, or left as is?

Thanks

Simon

12. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

floating a barrel simply removes any external force applied to it from the air cylinder or the stock , a floated barrel sits in its natural position and will "spring" back to that position consistently, so if you zero the rifle then remove the barrel clamp and find your zero has shifted, then yes the rifle will generally benefit from floating it!
    there is some speculation that the diffeing air pressures in the cylinder can cause the cylinder to distort relative to a given pressure or temp, then there is how well the stock letting holds the action, whether it skews the action at all?
    in my own experience its totally dependant on the rifles build, my HW100 benefitted from floating the barrel by removing the o-ring from the clamp, my sons MPR saw no difference?
    just bear in mind one thing if your worried about leaving the barrel floated, everybreak action springer has a floating barrel which is also used to cock the rifle so if a slightly larger diameter barrel can take all that heaving and bending and still return to its original position then I dont think we need worry too much about not having a barrel clamp on a precharge!

13. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    I've free floated the barrel of my FWB and also on Aggie's old CZ-200, and her new MPR is going to be free floated soon. It was done on my own way, let it call a 'supported floating' which has been working very fine in the practice, no POI-shifts any more but the barrel is held massive enough.

I simply can't understand the engineers of the rifle factories, why is each air rifle produced with fixed barrels?!?

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    probably a hangover from 10m, where you dont see the shift problems. Also most tend to have a chassis with a semi floating tube, rather than being clamped around the tube and using that for support.

15. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Of course... But none of them has heard about the FT sport in the last 20 years?!?

Never mind, I hope once I'll design a _real_ FT rifle and it's better if they don't spoil my business :D

16. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    ive seen your p70 and wot i can see you hav moved the barrel support 150mm back towards the trigger,in my eyes that is not a floating barrel you hav just moved the support,free floating meens from the block and no support any where up the barrel,on a p70 u cant free float because it does not hav anoth meat around the block to hold it secure:confused:

17. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Chris, this is a free floating barrel in the mechanical meaning of the free floating.
    Imagine that the front part of the breech block is much longer, not 1-2 cms but 10-12.
    See a photoshopped image:

[​IMG]

This part holds the barrel and the scope sits only on this part, too.
    And the barrel has no more support after this so it can't be affected by any heat expansion of the stock.
    What do you say, is this a free floating barrel or not?
    And does anything change if we take out a part from the long breech block?

[​IMG]

My solution on the FWB is exactly this, my A-clamp has became an extended part of the breech block
    and the barrel is totally free after this point.

18. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    totaly free is meaning from the block and no supports forward of it like pro targets or taking the 8 clamp off the mpr not by adding another support away from the block,then its not free floating its being supported further up than the the block,p70 can not be free floated it has to be supported,the block could not take the weight,my cr 97 has a proper floated barrel same as pro targets and ev2 if the stipper has the pin removed from wind indicator etc,and walthers on like neils gun id fully floated

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  19. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    So what do you think about my first picture mate? Is that a free floating barrel? It comes out of the block, doesn't it?

To be honest, I don't give a shhh how it's called, free floated or 'supported semi-floated thingy á la maestro'. But I do claim that the A-clamp is more likely a part of the breech block (because it is, in the mechanical scheme). And as these two hinged supports, the A-clamp and the breech block, are not too far from each other, they act as one massive fixed support and the barrel is totally free after this - so if it looks like a duck, sound like a duck, and acts like a duck what is it?

And don't forget that we want the free floating not for itself. We want that the scope body and the barrel end look always in the same direction, because in this case the POI shift is only a history. And to achieve this, we have to meet two very simple criteria: the scope has to be mounted as directly on the barrel as possible, and the barrel must not receive any other forces after this mounting point. This means in the practice that scope and barrel must be supported on the same two points (at the two AA signs on my picture) and nowhere else. And name this system as you want to :)

20. NJR 100

Club:
    it dont look like an Ev2:p